Author Topic: How to identify task number  (Read 16106 times)

Offline ehmen

• Poster
Re: How to identify task number
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 12:44:44 AM »
have you heard about Google / Bing  ?  ...... very nice tools to find answers to the (million) questions you have   ;)
Please see the 2 links below and you'll understand why such a question can't be found with a Google/Bing search. The same applies to many other questions that'll cause a search engine to pull up irrelevant hits due to the nature of the question (in many cases also lengthy).

https://www.google.com/search?q=toolbar+bundled+with+non+install+porgram&oq=toolbar+bundled+with+non+install+porgram&aqs=chrome..69i57.7637j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+toolbars+come+bundled+with+stand+alone+program&spell=1&ei=yfdlVavMO8SxyASA1IKwBg
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 12:47:10 AM by ehmen »

Offline ehmen

• Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 12:47:54 AM »
Hi, in my task manager I sometimes see such a task:

taskeng.exe   Task Scheduler Engine   taskeng.exe {long string of letters/numbers}

I've tried looking through my Task Scheduler to identify what that character string is, but I can't find it, as there's no "find/search" feature in the task scheduler.

Does anyone know how I could identity a task in the Scheduler?

Thank you!
Hi ehmen,

Did you try to use this fine program to identify unknown task number, autoruns? See: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

polonus
I can't locate that long numbered task in AutoRuns, do you know how I could locate it?

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 01:19:30 AM »
There are times when you can get a link string of numbers associated with avasts emergency update function, but that is a uniquely name .exe file.

If it were related to avasts emergency update it would have .exe at the end and there would most likely be a folder and or a the same string.exe file name in the avast\setup or avast\emupdate sub-folder.

So I would suggest checking there and or doing a search on your system for the file/folder name.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ehmen

• Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 01:29:40 AM »
It isn't in: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\emupdate.
But I found it in Process Explorer, I attached the path it's associated with.

Though I wonder, how Autoruns could have helped me find that, as that's why I downloaded it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 02:25:22 AM by ehmen »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »
It isn't in: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\emupdate.
But I found it in Process Explorer, I attached the path it's associated with.

Though I wonder, how Autoruns could have helped me find that, as that's why I downloaded it.

The problem being this has nothing to do with what program/process that created the scheduled task with the long string of numbers.

The taskeng.exe is what runs the scheduled task/s not the program that placed the entry as a scheduled task. http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/taskeng.exe.html.

So you are no closer unfortunately.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ehmen

• Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 10:57:31 PM »
The problem being this has nothing to do with what program/process that created the scheduled task with the long string of numbers.

The taskeng.exe is what runs the scheduled task/s not the program that placed the entry as a scheduled task. http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/taskeng.exe.html.

So you are no closer unfortunately.
Aren't the stuff listed in the attachment above, those programs?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 01:30:43 AM »
No I don't believe they are, those are the tasks/functions that taskeng.exe carries out, but it carries out some or all of those tasks on behalf of what ever created the scheduled task.

That is why I mentioned the only process that I know which might create a scheduled task that would have a large string of letters and numbers is the avast emergency update function.

There is an avast emergency update entry in the Task Scheduler - that runs to check if there is an emergency update available - if one is available then it creates another task schedule to handle the update. Once that update is done, this task schedule would be removed.

But virtually every answer given is a bit speculative as in all honesty, there is insufficient detailed information to say what is responsible when the general information is lacking in detail.
Quote from: ehmen
taskeng.exe   Task Scheduler Engine   taskeng.exe {long string of letters/numbers}

If you notice it again I suggest that you do a screenshot of it.
What has been mentioned before use WinPatrol as it can get more detailed information on scheduled tasks than might be available with how your trying to find out, see example image

Offline ehmen

• Poster
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 03:12:27 PM »
No I don't believe they are, those are the tasks/functions that taskeng.exe carries out, but it carries out some or all of those tasks on behalf of what ever created the scheduled task.

That is why I mentioned the only process that I know which might create a scheduled task that would have a large string of letters and numbers is the avast emergency update function.
But the Avast emergency function doesn't carry out the task listed above, does it?
Quote from: ehmen
taskeng.exe   Task Scheduler Engine   taskeng.exe {long string of letters/numbers}

If you notice it again I suggest that you do a screenshot of it.
I always notice it, but a screenshot wouldn't help since the string is always changing, though the tasks associated with it don't.
What has been mentioned before use WinPatrol as it can get more detailed information on scheduled tasks than might be available with how your trying to find out, see example image
Attached is the WinPatrol info for that process (less information than Process Explorer gives me).

Thank you DavidR!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 04:50:30 PM »
I'm sorry but I'm going to bow out of this topic as I can't explain it an any other way and you clearly aren't understanding it.

The image you show isn't the one that was first stated with the taskeng.exe {long string of letters/numbers}.

You need to wait until you get that taskeng.exe entry with that {long string of letters/numbers}and then look and don't forget you can also use the Plus Info.. button.

Offline ehmen

• Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 07:11:20 PM »
I'm sorry but I'm going to bow out of this topic as I can't explain it an any other way and you clearly aren't understanding it.

The image you show isn't the one that was first stated with the taskeng.exe {long string of letters/numbers}.

You need to wait until you get that taskeng.exe entry with that {long string of letters/numbers}and then look and don't forget you can also use the Plus Info.. button.
I understand it very clearly, I'm trying to explain to you that the taskeng.exe entry is always there so I always look at it, but the long stringed number changes from log in to log in.

I don't have WinPatrol Plus.