Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of upcoming avast update (now 4.6.726)  (Read 89997 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of upcoming avast update (4.6.718)
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2005, 11:42:35 AM »
I think you need to get more familiar with "stable" version of program.
In fact, beta is very very stable... no troubles at all. The users could trust this beta without fear  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2005, 12:31:24 PM »
Right, but in this case that you are new in avast, I'd recommend you to stay with non beta version. I think you need to get more familiar with "stable" version of program. Of course it's up to you. It's your choise. Enjoy using avast!  ;)

YLAP, you're so right. Best possible advice you could give to all fresh users out there. It's not a matter of how stable this beta is, betas are always meant just for testing purposes and for all new users recommendation will always be to use latest stable version. There is really no point for them to install beta since they have no clue what is different from latest stable build and how everything works. They should get used with latest stable build just like you mentioned. Betas are for testers only. Of course no one will forbid him to use beta, it's a free world, but when some problems occurs, new users tend to panic. That's a least thing we all need. That's why it's called beta, because no one can tell you for sure that everything works 100% OK.  ;)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2005, 01:29:03 PM »
I'm sorry to say, but those icons didn't bring us anything new... just more colors, and their appearance and also pretty much small size, just "helps" not to understand the meaning of some icons... they've got kind of AVG-ish feeling now... again, that's just my humble opinion.

Why no one even considered those icons I suggested in one of those earlier threads ? Here:

Was a semi-transparency (alpha channel) inside those icons maybe a problem ? It shouldn't be since I am participating in total revamp of icons for one of the best mail checking utilities out there (the only problem with that utility was an pretty not attractive GUI+icons, and that is to be changed very soon). I'm in a process of finishing complete design of those icons, and the main programmer of that utility already integrated them in beta version... they work like a charm. I used 32-bit BMPs (Photoshop only) which are 24-bit BMPs with 8-bit alpha channel. They work similar to PNGs, and there is a wonderful explanation on MSDN official web page on how to make/use those... best thing with that technique is that we can have nice and smooth antialiased edges of icons, so they don't look jaggy at the edges, and even better, we wouldn't have to use those square shaped "boxes" around the icons like they look right now (I guess Martin put that just to avoid jaggy edges, but that's not permanent solution and it looks a way worse that simple icons without those boxes  :-\ )

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.asp

Edit: I'm not trying to bugg anyone with this, it's just I followed Vlk's lines from his initial post in this thread:

Any comments on this release are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 01:50:15 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2005, 01:34:41 PM »
Excellent suggestion, S.Z.Craftec!  ;D

In my opinion, is much better than the current and beta versions... ;)
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2005, 01:37:37 PM »
Also get rid of Less details button. Those two modes (less and more detailed) just confuse users.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2005, 01:42:06 PM »
Also get rid of Less details button. Those two modes (less and more detailed) just confuse users.
I agree with RejZoR  :)
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2005, 01:42:51 PM »

Exactly ! Wonderful point RejZoR ! MORE DETAILS... that option is totally not needed and all we have form that is we have to do some more explaining when we have to give some advices to new users on how to change some things inside those providers. Remember, by default those icons and all details are hidden... IMHO, totally unnecessary.

Let those icons see day light, and everybody will find their options much easier.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2005, 01:46:30 PM »
- P2P Shield: added support for BitLord, uTorrent and ABC

Thanks
Vlk

Still no support for one of the best P2P programs out there - Azureus ... or am I missing something here, is it possible that some other entry inside P2P clients list covers that ?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2005, 02:03:52 PM »
Pavels,

if mirc in the instant messenger provider is uncheked/disabled, everything is normal
when enabled/checked, typin is fine, but when you hit enter to send the text to a channel there is a very noticible delay.
Using mirc 6.14 here on windows XP (fully up-to-date)
I tried other things and it is definatly the mirc part in the instant messaging provider.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2005, 02:06:28 PM »
- P2P Shield: added support for BitLord, uTorrent and ABC

Still no support for one of the best P2P programs out there - Azureus ... or am I missing something here, is it possible that some other entry inside P2P clients list covers that ?
I don't know, perhaps it might have something to do with Azureus not using standard ports?

There have been a number of threads relating to connection timeout errors because Azureus was using the SMTP port for something other than email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2005, 02:10:29 PM »
To be true, I've noticed those threads, but I never ever experienced those internet connection timeouts. Never, and I'm downloading like crazy...

Maybe it has something to do with these settings... maybe people just ned to increase those values:

Here they are:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 02:18:22 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2005, 02:25:34 PM »
Just another vote for "Less details mode is not needed".  ;D I've never used it in all my life!  ;D

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2005, 02:56:44 PM »
Unfortunately my display problem with About avast! is still there.

When I first start my system and the first time I choose About avast! by right clicking on the a in the system  tray, all I get is the following:

when I click on it, it opens to reveal the following:

At this point, I have to close this display and then again right click on the a in the system tray at which point, I finally get the correct display of:

Is an answer for this problem ever going to turn up??? Am I the only one who has this problem  ???

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2005, 03:26:52 PM »
I don't have that problem Bob, and to tell the truth, never had it. I am sure, there must be something inside the code that controls the opening of that window... since you don't have similar problems with any other part of avast! GUI, I am sure Alwil guys should be able to check that particular code and compare/find the differences between that one and few other things.

I know how annoying that could be even if it's just about that ABOUT AVAST!... panel. I'm also sure there are some other people with similar problems, it's just they never paid attention to that. Maybe it's coded to use something that's usually always installed inside the OS by default, and maybe (just a possibility) you don't have it installed on your system, I have no clue... but certainly we should get some answers from Alwil coders.

Alwil ?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2005, 05:05:40 PM »
Craftec, sure avast! may be redesigned but this release as far as I know is mostly ment to fix bugs and bring some small improvements. Currently we use standard .ICO icons, no PNG or bitmaps and their size is also hardcoded in the program. Antialiasing is not available for these icons.