Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of upcoming avast update (now 4.6.726)  (Read 89991 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of upcoming avast update (4.6.718)
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2005, 05:44:48 PM »
Craftec, sure avast! may be redesigned but this release as far as I know is mostly ment to fix bugs and bring some small improvements. Currently we use standard .ICO icons, no PNG or bitmaps and their size is also hardcoded in the program. Antialiasing is not available for these icons.

Lukas, thanks for your promt respond... Yes, I know what is priority when it comes to antivirus or any other security related program and it should be always like that. I was just mentioning new icons, because we all know very well that avast! stands out of any other antivirus utility out there, of course because it's effectivness, but also small part in everything we all have to agree is always graphic appearance. That's all...

Regarding file formats for those icons... nothing is problem. I also use ICO files as well, and in my icon editing utility, normal icon format among all other formats is XP with alpha channel. I just save icon in that format and that's it... of course, it matters if your code engine supports that format or not... but, I just want to say that it's possible. All my icons I made form my desktop were made as XP with alpha channel (32-bit) ICO files.

And see how some of icons I made looks like on my desktop (Of course I don't keep them on my desktop like that, there are also some variations of the same icon, so this was just for presentation purposes):

« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 05:49:13 PM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

joooo

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2005, 06:40:56 PM »
Will be added the icons of the S.Z.Craftec avast 4.6 7xx? 
In my opinion it would have to be placed, avast is excellent anti-virus, but it needs a good interface starting with the icons, these icons of the S.Z.Craftec are excellent.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2005, 08:58:54 PM »
BTW chances are that there was a dump file generated during the crash. It should be in the <avast>\data\log folder and should have the .dmp (or .mdmp) extension.
Vlk, I don't have any dump file.
On contrary, there are debug.txt files there. Many of them.
I've sent one (the last) to support (at) avast.com
Can you say me if it is useful and if my avast! installation have any trouble? Thanks.

Oh, I'm with the beta version.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2005, 09:02:23 PM »
Did you get a crash as well, Tech?

MrRAlan

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2005, 11:03:47 PM »
Has the issue "when merging the two icons in the system tray and the PC having shutdown problems" been resolved yet?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2005, 11:07:39 PM »
Did you get a crash as well, Tech?
As I've said, no, just the dump file.
Better, when I shutdown my computer last time, I got a blue screen... I'm investigating but does not seem related to avast!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2005, 11:31:55 PM »
Unfortunately my display problem with About avast! is still there.

When I first start my system and the first time I choose About avast! by right clicking on the a in the system  tray, all I get is the following:

when I click on it, it opens to reveal the following:

At this point, I have to close this display and then again right click on the a in the system tray at which point, I finally get the correct display of:

Is an answer for this problem ever going to turn up??? Am I the only one who has this problem  ???

Is this at least being looked at by some one from Alwil?  Thanks

Is this at least being looked at by some one from Alwil?  Thanks
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

joooo

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2005, 11:33:12 AM »
I'm sorry to say, but those icons didn't bring us anything new... just more colors, and their appearance and also pretty much small size, just "helps" not to understand the meaning of some icons... they've got kind of AVG-ish feeling now... again, that's just my humble opinion.

Why no one even considered those icons I suggested in one of those earlier threads ? Here:

Was a semi-transparency (alpha channel) inside those icons maybe a problem ? It shouldn't be since I am participating in total revamp of icons for one of the best mail checking utilities out there (the only problem with that utility was an pretty not attractive GUI+icons, and that is to be changed very soon). I'm in a process of finishing complete design of those icons, and the main programmer of that utility already integrated them in beta version... they work like a charm. I used 32-bit BMPs (Photoshop only) which are 24-bit BMPs with 8-bit alpha channel. They work similar to PNGs, and there is a wonderful explanation on MSDN official web page on how to make/use those... best thing with that technique is that we can have nice and smooth antialiased edges of icons, so they don't look jaggy at the edges, and even better, we wouldn't have to use those square shaped "boxes" around the icons like they look right now (I guess Martin put that just to avoid jaggy edges, but that's not permanent solution and it looks a way worse that simple icons without those boxes  :-\ )

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.asp

Edit: I'm not trying to bugg anyone with this, it's just I followed Vlk's lines from his initial post in this thread:

Any comments on this release are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks
Vlk
Because the icons had not been changed for these? 
These icons are very better. 
It adds these icons to version 4.6 718?

When will be changed the box of information of update?  This of the S.Z.Craftec is excellent, avast will be very better with is box.

On the icons, I have a suggestion: 
I say on the icons and interfaces because that is one of the rules that a software must have. 

1° Must take care of the necessities of the people. 
2° Must be pretty and comfortable to use. 
3° Must be fast. 

With these icons of the S.Z.Craftec, avast will be very better and will bring comfort to many people, and will make with them uses avast.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12640.225
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 11:38:20 AM by joooo »

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2005, 05:39:59 PM »
OK. I think that I found something strange, but I'm not sure  :-\

I've noticed that some files are scanned twice during the starting of the Simple User Interface. Is this normall ?
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2005, 05:45:56 PM »
I've noticed that some files are scanned twice during the starting of the Simple User Interface. Is this normall ?
Do you mean the splash screen?
Twice or repeated scanning used to occur whtn the user selected both Local disks and Folder selection and marked all the local disks (by their letters) again.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2005, 05:49:55 PM »
Do you mean the splash screen?
Yes, I mean the splash screen.

Twice or repeated scanning used to occur whtn the user selected both Local disks and Folder selection and marked all the local disks (by their letters) again.
But as far as I know you don't have to select anything for the memory scan, or I am wrong?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2005, 06:02:14 PM »
The memory scan is a default prior to loading the simple user interface, if files (you didn't say which, I know they are fast) are being scanned twice perhaps there is more than one occurance of it in the memory.

Unfortunately without further info we can't say if it may be a file that could potentially be called by more than one program and be loaded into memory more than once (if that can or be allowed to happen).

I must admit, I don't watch what is scanned in memory when I start it up. Well I just did it (watched the files being scanned in memory) and it is very, very fast on my system but I didn't notice and apparent duplicate file scanning in memory.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2005, 06:15:52 PM »
Some of the double scanned files are: shell32.dll , explorer.exe, netshell.dll and others that I can't remember(I just see their names more that one time)

Well it could be nothing, maybe I am too paranoid  ;D

Thanks  :)

joooo

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2005, 06:42:30 PM »
Avast has a problem, when I am making one download, if I to disactivate avast, it cancels download. 
That is a problem?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2005, 06:45:39 PM »
Thats normal because Web Shield terminates active connections made by browser/downloader.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog