Author Topic: Can't install/reinstall Avast. Not enough user rights.  (Read 11971 times)

JimTheMuso

Can't install/reinstall Avast. Not enough user rights.
« on: October 27, 2005, 08:59:30 PM »
Windows XP Pro SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop.

Hi. I had a user profile problem and had to create a new user transferring all settings to the new user. All fine but Avast said it wanted a key but I had the free home version. Uninstalled (using the special downloadable Avast unloader) and tried to download and reinstall but it says "Error: not enough user privileges." The log shows it cannot access HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\avastTestService but this does not exist in the registry. I have tried deleting everything from the registry regarding Avast but this error still persists. Can anyone help please?
Jim.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 11:43:25 PM by JimTheMuso »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Can't install/reinstall Avast. Not enough user rights.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 01:00:46 AM »
The program should be installed under Administrator account (as well as entering the license key).

JimTheMuso

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 01:20:25 AM »
It was installed under Administration account. (I tried it under a couple of them in fact). I never got as far as the licence key and it was the free edition anyway. This is some sort of a registry problem obviously. I noticed it was mentioned in another post some months ago here but the poster did a system restore and solved his problem. That obviously won't work with me.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 01:53:37 AM »
Well, if you say the log says the avastTestService key cannot be created, it seems that the installer is not running under Administrator account...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 02:39:53 AM »
I tried it under a couple of them in fact
Having more than one account with Administrator rights is not a good idea... you'll mess your installations.
The best things in life are free.

JimTheMuso

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 08:59:14 PM »
Tech - so I found out. I created the new account for a good reason (or so I thought) but it is not necessary now. If I delete the new one and revert to the old (which is still there) do you think it will help or is it too late? Is there any way I can get back to clean system (without Avast that is) so I can try install again?
Jim.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 10:54:55 PM »
Tech - so I found out. I created the new account for a good reason (or so I thought) but it is not necessary now. If I delete the new one and revert to the old (which is still there) do you think it will help or is it too late?
I think it will work...

Is there any way I can get back to clean system (without Avast that is) so I can try install again?
Deleting the 'extra' account and booting, removing the files left at C:\Documents and Settings\... name of the old account ...\
will do the trick  8)

JimTheMuso

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 12:51:55 AM »
Nope didn't. Restored system to a couple of weeks ago before I had any problems. Avast was there but not working properly. Uninstalled it (using the Avast downloadable) and tried reinstalling but same problem. The strange thing is that I thought I would try AVG so downloaded that. Similar problem - unable create registry entry. My user account DEFINITELY shows as Administrator and can do admin tasks. Now my question is: when I do a system restore, does it restore my user as it was then as well? If not then possibly it IS a corrupted user account problem which caused the problem and is still there after restore. I did an Avast scan from my desktop PC through my network and it found nothing. (As both are antivirus just wondered if something was blocking ANY antivirus). Any more ideas guys?

MrBabis

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 01:34:19 AM »
You got some spyware mybe that blocks you system. Did you try to check you computer?
Also check you hardware.
(
poweroff computer
disconnect cdrom/dvd/disket station
and all cards that not need for starting fo computer
----
start up you computer, check hardware, reboot
then try to install avast
-----
also check RAM use "UBCD"  for this
)

//I got problem like this with norton once when cdrom was weak and crashed system that way

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 01:56:52 AM »
Nope didn't.
What did you do?

Restored system to a couple of weeks ago before I had any problems. Avast was there but not working properly. Uninstalled it (using the Avast downloadable) and tried reinstalling but same problem.
Windows restore, for sure, won't cure this. It's a joke! It's not a restoration in the full meaning...

The strange thing is that I thought I would try AVG so downloaded that. Similar problem - unable create registry entry. My user account DEFINITELY shows as Administrator and can do admin tasks.
It should work just deleting one of the Administrators accounts...  :-\

If not, maybe you can Now my question is: when I do a system restore, does it restore my user as it was then as well?
No... It's a partial restoration mainly related to system files...

If not then possibly it IS a corrupted user account problem which caused the problem and is still there after restore. I did an Avast scan from my desktop PC through my network and it found nothing. (As both are antivirus just wondered if something was blocking ANY antivirus). Any more ideas guys?
Why did you do the restoration?

JimTheMuso

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 02:43:49 AM »
OK time to give the full story.
I was having a problem in that a folder, when double-clicked, would only open minimized and could not be maximized. This folders had in it shortcuts to games I and my wife liked to play. The original folder had the name Games. I renamed the folder to aGames when the problem arose and all was fine for a few days. Then the same problem. This devloped until ANY folder containing the letters g a m e s would show this problem. So I created a new folder called Play and the same sequence of event occurred. Likewise on a new folder called aPlay. This seemed to indicate that any new folder (possibly containing shortcuts for my games???) would go down the same route. Obviously I checked for invasive things (Avast, MS Antispyware, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and I was running Process Guard. It was suggested (on another forum) that it may be a user account problem so I created a new user account and copied over the settings. This was done using a third user account so the copying was no problem. All these accounts had Administrator privileges (problem????). This was all tied up with some other problems I had (using a Logitech mouse on a laptop which had an Alps touch-pad). Anyway, things went from bad to worse so I ended up using system restore as it was panic stations. This has solved my mouse problems (sort of) but, as I said above, Avast was there but not functioning properly. (Not surprising because I had used the uninstall feature before system restore).
Anyway, the result is that I have deleted the extra user accounts and reverted to my original one which obviously has administrator privileges but I still cannot install Avast (or AVG for that matter). The error messages on both programs boil down to being unable to create a registry entry. I tried all the things in the registry like taking ownership, upgrading the permissions, deleting all references to Avast or Alwil etc. including the prefetch and anywhere on the PC but the problem still exists. I can only assume that somehow the administrator account/s is/are corrupted and cannot install any antivirus. However, it CAN install other programs. So, is there some sort of virus there that is not detected to stop AVs from being installed? I'm not the world's greatest expert (which is why I am here) but I tend to think it's a corrupted user account and, as I now only have the one (apart from a guest account which is switched off) I don't have the expertise to go any further. I certainly don't want a complete format/reinstall. If I have missed something please ask. Any help would be appreciated (short of saying reformat).
Jim.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 02:46:59 AM by JimTheMuso »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 09:58:46 PM »
I was running Process Guard.
Disable it and see what you get. PG blocks the most inimaginable things to run...  ::)

It was suggested (on another forum) that it may be a user account problem so I created a new user account and copied over the settings.
What settings? What files? I don't think it's a good (perfect) manner to start a new user...

This was done using a third user account so the copying was no problem.
That could be, precesily, the problem. It's not just copying files, tons of settings are in the Windows Registry...

Anyway, things went from bad to worse so I ended up using system restore as it was panic stations.
Bad advices, bad trusts in MS restoration... sorry, but what can I say? Come here on avast! forums to get good info...

This has solved my mouse problems
As it should be. The work that MS restore could do: restore drivers.

Anyway, the result is that I have deleted the extra user accounts and reverted to my original one which obviously has administrator privileges but I still cannot install Avast (or AVG for that matter).
Log as the Administrator (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm) and remove all other accounts with Admin rights.
Try to start again.

The error messages on both programs boil down to being unable to create a registry entry.
Do you get an error message? Which key?

is there some sort of virus there that is not detected to stop AVs from being installed?
Could have... but I don't think the problem is this one...

JimTheMuso

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 12:54:31 AM »
I was running Process Guard.
Disable it and see what you get. PG blocks the most inimaginable things to run...  ::)

It WAS disabled at the time

It was suggested (on another forum) that it may be a user account problem so I created a new user account and copied over the settings.
What settings? What files? I don't think it's a good (perfect) manner to start a new user...

This was done using a third user account so the copying was no problem.
That could be, precesily, the problem. It's not just copying files, tons of settings are in the Windows Registry...

I followed the advice of a Microsoft advice article on how to create a new user by using a third one and copying all settings over.

Anyway, things went from bad to worse so I ended up using system restore as it was panic stations.
Bad advices, bad trusts in MS restoration... sorry, but what can I say? Come here on avast! forums to get good info...

Somebody on this forum weeks ago had the same problem, no one responded to him - or at least before they did he posted back and said he did a system restore and the problem was fixed.

This has solved my mouse problems
As it should be. The work that MS restore could do: restore drivers.

Anyway, the result is that I have deleted the extra user accounts and reverted to my original one which obviously has administrator privileges but I still cannot install Avast (or AVG for that matter).
Log as the Administrator (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm) and remove all other accounts with Admin rights.
Try to start again.

Already done with no result.

The error messages on both programs boil down to being unable to create a registry entry.
Do you get an error message? Which key?

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ServicesavasttestService

is there some sort of virus there that is not detected to stop AVs from being installed?
Could have... but I don't think the problem is this one...

Replies to your questions are included with them above.
Also, I've run checks with every checker known to man - nothing. When I tried to install AVG (as I was getting nowhere with Avast) it was unable to create a registry key in the same area.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 01:45:09 AM »
Browsing through this thread showed me one thing.
Avast was NOT installed when logged in as true administrator.
This is something else then a user with admin rights.
Could be causing the problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 01:57:01 AM »
I followed the advice of a Microsoft advice article on how to create a new user by using a third one and copying all settings over.
So, who am I to discuss against them?  :)

Already done with no result.
This is really bad... I'm empty, what more can I suggest?   :'(

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ServicesavasttestService
Strange? I never see this key...  ::)
The closer I have is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\avast! Antivirus
or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\avast! Mail Scanner
or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\avast! Web Scanner

Also, I've run checks with every checker known to man - nothing. When I tried to install AVG (as I was getting nowhere with Avast) it was unable to create a registry key in the same area.
Do you use WinPatrol?