Author Topic: What kind of antivirus company would suggest someone go to a scam site?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline avast234

I just installed Avast on the suggestion of a friend of mine. The safeprice add-on seemed a little odd for an antivirus software company, but hey I like to make sure that I'll be safer as I surf the web. Then something interesting happened. I went shopping for a monitor. Safeprice suggested a site, celire.com, where that monitor was 75% off. Great, I thought, I learn about a new site and an information security company has vetted it to some degree. But like a good interneter I was still skeptical, so I did some digging on that site. Aside from the fact that the first information I could find on the site was a yahoo question board asking if the site was a scam and five replies, all less than two weeks old, saying it wasn't, all of the reviews I could find were less than two weeks old and, although coming from multiple usernames, had the same wording through almost all of them. But I figured, hey it might be a start up, I'll poke around some more and start the order process. So I did. But when I got to the payment screen it was odd. In order to buy anything on their site you have to go to amazon buy a Playstation shopping card and enter the card code on the site. In case you don't know, PSN cards aren't supposed to be redeemable for cash at all. Which means there is no way this is a legitimate business venture, at least not legitimate in the legal sense.

So now I'm left wondering, If Avast is willing to send me to a scam site and is doing so little vetting of it's own suggestions, why should I trust their antivirus capabilities?

If I am going to get a response, which I would appreciate, I wouldn't start with passing the buck to Ciuvo. If you've made an agreement to put your logo on a service, you are claiming that service as your work. How you got it done, and who you're paying is irrelevant. Security is based on trust and trust is based on integrity. My experience so far is that Avast looks very shaky.

Here's a screenshot of Avast suggesting this site, twice even:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fp2tuw5m1pn9ys/Screenshot%202015-05-18%2007.26.32.png?dl=0

Offline Asyn

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Windows 8.1 [x64] - Avast PremSec 19.7.2388.BC - CC 5.61 - EEK - Firefox ESR 60.8 [NS/AOS/uBO] - TB 60.8 [EM] - ACP/ASB/ASL.BC
Deutschsprachiger Bereich -> Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Avast 2015 searches for the best offer among participating trusted shops
Domain Age: 8 Years, 197 Days
If I search for that shop, I only find a few posts and some shady clips where people praise the shop.
All posts en clips are from within last month.

I find that shop (to say the least) very suspicious.

Offline dan.dressler95

I did EXACTLY the same thing.  I saw Celire.Com's ad for a particular product for $50 through Avast's SafePrice browser plugin for a product that is normally $350. I clicked the ad, and read that they accept credit cards.  I thought to myself, "Great!  My credit card has 0% fraud liability and they'll protect my purchase".  But when I went to check out, I found that they suspiciously only accept Playstation gift card codes.  So, I did some research ...

First of all, I noticed that Avast no longer refers Celire.com!

Celire.com's business model cannot possibly work.  Here's why.  They explain that they get kickbacks from PlayStation and kickbacks from Amazon, and save money on taxes and credit card fees.  However, the link they want you to purchase the PlayStation gift card code from is directly from Amazon (note the 12,000 customer reviews)!  So Celire.Com cannot possibly be getting kickbacks from that transaction.  Furthermore, the percentage price reductions that Celire.com claims to receive cannot account for 85% discounts (more like 30%)!  Finally, why would Celire.Com sell a brand new item valued at $350 for just $50 when they could sell it on Amazon and/or Ebay and make four or five times as much per item?  It doesn't make sense. 

I believe this to be an elaborate scam that's designed to only work for a few months.  I'm guessing that they regularly move the site's functionality from one domain to another (thus changing the name of the site too) whenever public reviews catches up with them.  Have you noticed that all of the reviews suspiciously emphasize "slow shipping"?  This would buy themselves some time to rip more people off before receiving bad reviews.  Furthermore, the lag on the website suggest that it's employing at least some servers that aren't in the USA.  Finally, the reason why they would want gift cards is because there's no way for the buyer to ever get their money back.  Picture this: the buyer consults their credit card company (or Amazon) and says, "I've been frauded!  I want my money back!"  And the company simply replies, "You received a valid gift card and got what you paid for.  How it was spent is not our problem."

Try this: wait for three more months.  Then, check Celire.Com to see if it still exists and then check to see if there are bad reviews out on the Internet.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:34:10 PM by dan.dressler95 »

Offline treefrogskis

Yup...
Did the same thing,
During checkout I was confused by the lack of credit card information and used my dummy email address.
My email sent it to spam folder and didn't forward it to my real address.
In the meantime I emailed them about credit card information.
Then I saw the email with payment instructions. Can't buy the psn card from Canada!
So emailed them again about not being able to use their payment method. This time I got a response with an address (in Texas) to use as shipping addy for my amazon purchase.

I did get a generic email saying my purchace price was only guaranteed for 24hrs and to hurry if I didn't want to miss out on the amazing deal.
I had read the few reviews that I could find, most said they had minor issues but they were address in a timely manner.
Pretty sure all fake. Even the numerous youtube testimonials.
I can't imagine that either amazon or sony would in any way condone these transactions.
Big scam, have been thinking of contacting BBB. Don't think any of this is really legal!

I was pretty pissed with avast for sending me down that road.

Also you have to pay in increments of $50 so that monitor the OP was looking at would have been $100.

So anybody googling is Celire.com a scam ?  I would have to say yes, Buyer beware!

sam

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:10:16 PM by treefrogskis »