Author Topic: avast free version disables Windows Restore Causes Windows Lag issues  (Read 8937 times)

REDACTED

I have been using avast for years on end and this problem has happened on occasion. I am getting quite irritated this time around. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. 16 GB of RAM, Intel i7-3610QM 1TB hard drive with 860GB of space left. I woke up to my computer not working correctly. . . The start menu lagged out and not responded, My network would not start and then windows started to freeze and then unfreeze. I would click the start menu icon and it would take 2 mins to pop up and there was many more annoying things going on and system items not responding. I tried to open the task Manager by pressing ctrl alt Delete and it froze up and would not load. I then restarted the system thinking it just needed a good restart and I had the same exact issues once I logged into windows. The computer and windows startup loaded fast but it lagged up when I signed in. So I waited long enough that I was able to select system restore. Now I make restore points every week and have never had issues. This time however it said to me that I didn't have any restore points. I logged into safe mode on the computer and removed avast since that was my first thought of what the computer would be hanging up on since that was the only program in my startup list clicked. Sure enough after I removed avast the computer worked just fine. No problems whatsoever. So I figured I needed to re-download avast to get a needed update. So I downloaded it today and reinstalled it. I did a scan and no viruses showed up. I restarted my computer and boom the problems started all over again. I tried to make a restore point to test it and I was unable to make a restore point. Then I uninstalled avast and tested the restore points. This time I could make  a restore point after I uninstalled avast and my computer ran just fine.

So my question is, what is wrong with avast and why is it conflicting with regular windows functionality?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:46:48 PM by Zarthus »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
What AV did you use before avast?
was it removed according to vendors instructions before installing avast?

REDACTED

Avast is the only one I use or have ever used on this computer.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
You may attach FRST diagnostic logs and let essexboy have a look

See second picture  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:31:22 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

Impossible. Did you even read my post?

I cannot run windows when avast is installed.

How can I do a diagnostic log of avast if it is uninstalled in order for the computer to work properly?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
It is not a diagnose of avast, it is a diagnosis of your computer .... if needed, uninstall avast so you can run it

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Did you even read the instructions ?
How exactly did you removed avast ?

REDACTED

Why would avast cause these problems with the computer?

Why does avast keep me from making restore points?

Why did avast erase my older restore points?

When avast is not installed everything works like it should.

I have identified the problem is the new version of Avast. Is there any setting in avast that would allow for my system restore to work properly while installed?

Why do I need a separate diagnostic tool when the problem is with avast?

There was no issues until the new program update of avast.

REDACTED

I HAVE USED AVAST FOR YEARS!

There must be a problem with the new update. Has anyone experienced this or knows how to actually help me? Avast has been on this computer for 2 years. Always kept up to date. This new update is when the problem started.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:12:51 PM by Zarthus »

REDACTED

Did you even read the instructions ?
How exactly did you removed avast ?

Of course I did. Did you read my post?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
To confirm or rule out other issues .... you be surprised of all the issues essexboy have found/solved with these logs

You asked for help, it is your computer so if you dont want to.....

REDACTED

To confirm or rule out other issues .... you be surprised of all the issues essexboy have found/solved with these logs

You asked for help, it is your computer so if you dont want to.....

I don't trust malewarbytes, but thank you.  I ran my own set of scans for errors and other issues on my computer using tools I trust and there was no issues found.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
I did not say malwarebytes .....   Malwarebytes is not a diagnostic tool

REDACTED

The link you sent me said to download it. -_-

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Did you read my post? .... i have edited it so it should be clearer