Author Topic: avast free version disables Windows Restore Causes Windows Lag issues  (Read 9014 times)

REDACTED

Active Virus Control blocked a process.
Scan Results
File Name   Action
c:\users\jzarthus\downloads\frst64.exe   Blocked

hmmm wonder why my other computer would block this process? You send me a link to download a virus?

REDACTED

I don't trust this forum anymore. I am going to put in a support ticket.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
It is a normal issue .... all these diagnostic and malware removal tools are frequently detected/blocked especially after update
Disable the tool that block it

All tools used here are safe, all malware removal helpers here are trained and certified in that work, essexboy is also a teacher in the art of malware removal

And you are not the first sceptic 

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:02:44 PM by Pondus »

Offline davexnet

• Poster
Is avast NG (or whatever it's called these days) still messing with system restore space?  Perhaps that's the culprit here.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline Cast

Is avast NG (or whatever it's called these days) still messing with system restore space?  Perhaps that's the culprit here.
If I recall correctly its now called "Secure Virtual Machines" and yes as far as I know its still messes with system restore files, last I heard the next beta(sometime this summer) is supposed to have fixes for it.

REDACTED

If I recall correctly its now called "Secure Virtual Machines" and yes as far as I know its still messes with system restore files, last I heard the next beta(sometime this summer) is supposed to have fixes for it.
That is good to hear.

I ran a bunch of anti virus and anti malware scans on my computer and came up with nothing. So I will wait to reinstall avast and use something else until they fix this problem.

Funny thing is I did not have any of these issues with any of the other new antiviral programs after I uninstalled avast. So I know for sure it is something with avast. Also I did a boot scan with avast after I reinstalled it while the machine was working with avast installed and it came up with nothing as well. So all arrows point to Avast not working correctly on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Because it works just fine on my other computer that is 32bit version.

(Just a quick FYI) After I uninstalled avast everything worked fine. I have never had any other antivirus program on my system. After I uninstalled avast I tried, AVG, bitdefender, panda, mcaffee, malewarebytes and norton. I did each one individually and ran individual scans and uninstalled after every test (took hours and hours) and none of them came up with any threats to my computer. I would say that was pretty tedious adventure but I least I narrowed things down.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:21:35 PM by Zarthus »

Offline davexnet

• Poster
No need to uninstall.  If installing new, do a custom install and deselect the component.

If it's already there, control panel/programs and features (add/remove for XP)/ avast / change
Deselect the component you want to remove.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

REDACTED

Thanks davexnet. I wasn't sure which component to deselect that would be causing the issue. Never had to do technical stuff with avast before in all the years I have used it. Usually it works just fine with the occasional hickup until the new version comes out with the fix. I am just glad I know it wasn't a virus causing the problem. I have multiple backups and I will probably do a wipe and reinstall just to be safe. But I will wait until they fix the issue with the system restore files. This is something that is very bad because it wont let me revert back to a version of my system in case I do get infected and need to restore backwards for a quick fix.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Glad to hear you were able to solve the problem. Disabling NG will help in this case. We plan to stop using the Windows System Restore for NG in the next versions.

REDACTED

Re: avast free version , computer lags out when i install avast free
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 04:07:12 AM »
Hi Have used avast for years, and just updated to new version , now my computer lags out when i use it. I have uninstalled by starting up off a boot disk, then going back and cleaning out the remains. Have tried three time, computer runs great no avast, lags out when avast is installed. I have two other machines that i run on the paid form of avast, they are due for repayment in days, now i'm worried that avast will lag those out too. Heeelllppp