Author Topic: avast wouldnt delete it so...  (Read 3020 times)

kstep

avast wouldnt delete it so...
« on: October 28, 2005, 09:50:50 PM »
i deleted a virus i think mailwarez trojan because avast wouldnt delete it. what a stupid idea  :-\ 

so will that stop it or can i recover it and destroy it, the prop is i deleted from recycle bin so what should i do ive ran avast been it cant detect it but then i proly wouldnt cos its deleted so what should i do?  :'(

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: avast wouldnt delete it so...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 10:35:22 PM »
Hi kstep.

I think the best thing is to do a boot time scan with avast! Start the program and right click the screen: select Schedule a boot time scan.

As a double check, run Ewido anti-Trojan program:

http://www.ewido.net/en/

If you deleted the Trojan yourself, it may already be gone, but the two scans above should find any Trojans on your System.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast wouldnt delete it so...
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 11:57:42 PM »
1. 'first do no harm' don't delete as your first option, send virus to the chest and investigate. If after a week or two and you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.

2. Windows in its infinite wisdom protects files in use (even malware), so it is likely that avast can't delete or move files in use. So schedule boot-time scan in avast's menu if you have XP, win2k or NT, otherwise boot into safe mode and run an avast scan. This should ensure that the file isn't in use and avast should be able to deal with it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security