Author Topic: Disappointed in Avast  (Read 4298 times)

REDACTED

Disappointed in Avast
« on: May 25, 2015, 04:26:27 AM »
Long time avast user here. Some complaints about the product:

Excessive pop-up ads.
Slows down computer significantly.
High amounts of false positives (trying to disable them does not work. They keep popping up).
Unintuitive GUI.

Avast used to be very sleek. Simple, and did what it was supposed to do. Now it's literally malware - slows down my computer, spams me with ads. Very disappointed.

I've read some of the forum complaints. People who dislike the ads are constantly rebuffed by people telling them to pay to get rid of the ads. I'm not sure what type of logic that is. Why should I deal with ads if there are other free antivirus programs that don't spam their users with ads consistently? Unless you're extraordinarily loyal to Avast, I'm not sure why you would keep using this program. I've tried several other competitors (Bitdefender, AVG) and they are all superior to avast in multiple ways (using Bitdefender atm).

I hope avast gets better. Perhaps I'll try it again in a year.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:36:02 AM by allenczhang »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Disappointed in Avast
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 04:38:52 AM »
You can disable the pop-ups in paid versions.
AS they say: You get what you paid for ;)

Even on a old system of mine, it is only slowing things down a bit not much.

Report false positives and they will be fixed a.s.a.p.

avast is definitely not malware.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 04:51:04 AM »
I've seen a lot of your posts, and to be honest, they're not very impressive.

From your post, it's clear that you didn't even read what I wrote clearly, or have limited reading comprehension (which I'm sure is not the case).

I know avast is not malware. I merely compared it to malware (using a metaphor) because it slows down my computer and spams me with ads.

And yes, upgrading to paid will remove ads. Or I could simply uninstall it and use the other ~7 antivirus programs that don't spam me with ads.

And what type of antivirus software makes me report false positives before they get fixed?

On my computer (which is relatively new), avast takes up ~80-100 of my disk. Other antivirus softwares are pretty taxing too - Bitdefender constantly uses 1MB of my disk space. However, it has very low priority. Avast will freeze my whole computer because it prioritizes itself over my actions.

You have 15000 posts on this forum. I hope your other posts are higher quality.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 05:17:42 AM »
Now it's literally malware
If you know it is not malware then why do you call it malware?
And what type of antivirus software makes me report false positives before they get fixed?
Every type. How can something be fixed if the programmers don't know that something is broken? ???
Bitdefender constantly uses 1MB of my disk space.
The smallest installation is already 6.5 Mb and that is packed.
How much disk space avast is using depends on the components you have installed. On my system it uses around 1 Gb.

If you have a (relatively) new system as you say, I suspect that something is wrong.
avast shouldn't slow down things on it.
We can try to help you but you will need to provide some information.

What exact version of avast do you have ?
Is it a upgrade or a clean installation ?
What OS/SP ?
Any other security software installed ? (or did you have)

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 05:58:33 AM »
Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor
Read the whole page, and perhaps you will understand what a "metaphor" is.

And earlier I misspoke. I didn't mean to say disk space, I meant disk usage. It kept my hard drive permanently occupied.

I had the latest version of avast, windows 8. Malwarebytes installed along with it.

And yes, you do need to report false positives in order for them to be fixed. But the number of false positives avast gives me is ridiculous, and disabling them through exclusions does not work.

I'm 100% sure avast is what is causing the problem. I uninstalled it, installed Bitdefender, and everything is great now.

Offline lucD

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 06:56:33 AM »
If your reference to malware was figurative then you probably shouldn't have described it as literal.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 09:32:16 AM »
Wow, your grasp of the english language is incredible. Do you have any other tips to offer lucD?

Offline lucD

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 09:51:41 AM »
Yes, don't criticise others' comprehension when it's your expression that's at fault.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 01:08:32 PM »
Not sure I'm following you in this point. No antivirus want to have false positives. The only way to correct is to realizing a false positive detection. This could come from inside (the Virus Lab using its own clean set database) or from the Community (which adds a zillion bigger clean set database).
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 02:34:52 PM »
aczh,

I have just one question left for you at the moment.
Do you want to try to solve the problem(s) you have (had?) with avast or not ?
If you do I (and others) are willing to help, but in that case provide the information I have asked for.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
aczh,

I have just one question left for you at the moment.
Do you want to try to solve the problem(s) you have (had?) with avast or not ?
If you do I (and others) are willing to help, but in that case provide the information I have asked for.
If not, thanks for sharing your opinion. An opinion that's shared by some but certainly not many considering
Avast still protects over 230,000,000 users world wide.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet