Author Topic: Weird and random popups from Avast Free AV  (Read 4673 times)

REDACTED

Weird and random popups from Avast Free AV
« on: May 23, 2015, 07:27:15 PM »
Hey all hope you can help,

I've been using the free version for a while without any problems I recommend it to anybody as #1 free choice

However yesterday I got 3 popups asking me to protect my Android phone.. which I don't have & wouldn't do even if I had one.

Also I got 2 popups today advising me on password protection from hackers, not interested as I take care of that myself.

These messages are far too frequent I wouldn't mind the odd one showing up every few days advising me on security... but 3 in a day? Seriously?

Help please is this normal behaviour? I haven't had popups like these for the past couple of months.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Weird and random popups from Avast Free AV
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 07:36:30 PM »
Has been discussed in numerous other topics.
Here's just one:https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=167446.0
You can use the search function to find more

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »
But those are offer popups

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »

Essentially this is no different it is no to different to other offer popups, avast is offering you an option if you have an android phone to have avast protect that also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 09:02:33 PM »

Essentially this is no different it is no to different to other offer popups, avast is offering you an option if you have an android phone to have avast protect that also.

Idea:  How about this, assuming the opinion of Avast marketers are that ads are a benefit, actually target the popup ads so they are more useful.  The way to target ads can easily be done it would seem to me by making it a prerequisite to getting the application key to just have the user provide an abbreviated customer profile that would help Avast know if it even makes sense to popup specific ads for that user i.e. what is the point in the event the user doesn't even have an "Android phone" like in this case.  And there are many other offers that make no sense other than to be an irritant to the user.  Of course I realize that it would take maintaining a small data file on the user but that's already done anyway and of course it would take a little more programming to make the popups ad specific in relation to the specific user profile, but on the other hand it would also seem to me to be worth it as opposed to causing unnecessary irritants that do little more than to repel users when ads have absolutely no application to the user and as a result tend to make them not want to recommend Avast to others as a result. It would be actually quite simple to program, just have a check-list table that applies to the customer profile and have the ads run off that table of values.  Fact is, happier users create more and better recommendations and more and better recommendation increase a user base is the reason it would be worth the extra little bit of programming on Avast part.  I've already recommended a "reward system" for users who stay loyal to Avast for say 10+ years at which time the user can limit the FREE version ads for example.  And I've offered other alternatives as well to help improve Avast rapport with current and potential future users, but if none of these are appealing then how about considering this one above?

I have many ideas that in my view would be of benefit to Avast when one considers the number of times we see users complain about these ads.  None of us can deny the number of times we will see a new thread popup in the forum on this topic.  And we must realize there are many many more who don't bother to complain but just go elsewhere to get their virus protection.  I'd venture to say (when we think of how many probably don't bother to even say anything as it's not a tech issue) that this issue regarding ads is arguably the most prevalent of all issues users might have with Avast.  So I say why wouldn't it make sense for Avast to look for ways to alleviate an irritant of this magnitude?  I know many will disagree and claim it's no big deal, please there are many various issues we see in this forum and if it's something that breaks the users computer in some manner we're of course going to hear about it.  But are we really going to hear about every complaint when it comes to an "irritant" that does not break the users computer?  Of course not, reason would suggest to us that the numerous complaints we see from time to time are actually the tip of the proverbial ice burg.  Think about it, this only makes reasonable sense.

Again, as I've said so many times, my goal is to help Avast increase their user base and it is NOT to be complaining like others (evangelists that is) think which is so far from the truth.  I've enjoyed my limited background in marketing myself and I have a degree in psychology and have worked in the field for 15 years before going into programing and tech support for another 22 years so I know a little about how and what people think and do.  And I'd add, it is no skin off my nose because in my case my ads are blocked anyway thanks to your suggestion DavidR (which as I've said is a big reason I can do want I really want and that is stay with Avast), so the only reason I would even bring it up is for the sake of other users and the sake of having Avast keep a better rapport with their current and potential future users.  Again my only reason for posting these ideas is to sustain a larger Avast user base because a more successful Avast benefits not only me but everyone on this board.  Can we at least agree on that?
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 01:11:06 AM »

Idea:  How about this, assuming the opinion of Avast marketers are that ads are a benefit, actually target the popup ads so they are more useful.  The way to target ads can easily be done it would seem to me by making it a prerequisite to getting the application key to just have the user provide an abbreviated customer profile that would help Avast know if it even makes sense to popup specific ads for that user i.e. what is the point in the event the user doesn't even have an "Android phone" like in this case.  And there are many other offers that make no sense other than to be an irritant to the user.  Of course I realize that it would take maintaining a small data file on the user but that's already done anyway and of course it would take a little more programming to make the popups ad specific in relation to the specific user profile, but on the other hand it would also seem to me to be worth it as opposed to causing unnecessary irritants that do little more than to repel users when ads have absolutely no application to the user and as a result tend to make them not want to recommend Avast to others as a result. It would be actually quite simple to program, just have a check-list table that applies to the customer profile and have the ads run off that table of values.  Fact is, happier users create more and better recommendations and more and better recommendation increase a user base is the reason it would be worth the extra little bit of programming on Avast part.  I've already recommended a "reward system" for users who stay loyal to Avast for say 10+ years at which time the user can limit the FREE version ads for example.  And I've offered other alternatives as well to help improve Avast rapport with current and potential future users, but if none of these are appealing then how about considering this one above?

I have many ideas that in my view would be of benefit to Avast when one considers the number of times we see users complain about these ads.  None of us can deny the number of times we will see a new thread popup in the forum on this topic.  And we must realize there are many many more who don't bother to complain but just go elsewhere to get their virus protection.  I'd venture to say (when we think of how many probably don't bother to even say anything as it's not a tech issue) that this issue regarding ads is arguably the most prevalent of all issues users might have with Avast.  So I say why wouldn't it make sense for Avast to look for ways to alleviate an irritant of this magnitude?  I know many will disagree and claim it's no big deal, please there are many various issues we see in this forum and if it's something that breaks the users computer in some manner we're of course going to hear about it.  But are we really going to hear about every complaint when it comes to an "irritant" that does not break the users computer?  Of course not, reason would suggest to us that the numerous complaints we see from time to time are actually the tip of the proverbial ice burg.  Think about it, this only makes reasonable sense.

Again, as I've said so many times, my goal is to help Avast increase their user base and it is NOT to be complaining like others (evangelists that is) think which is so far from the truth.  I've enjoyed my limited background in marketing myself and I have a degree in psychology and have worked in the field for 15 years before going into programing and tech support for another 22 years so I know a little about how and what people think and do.  And I'd add, it is no skin off my nose because in my case my ads are blocked anyway thanks to your suggestion DavidR (which as I've said is a big reason I can do want I really want and that is stay with Avast), so the only reason I would even bring it up is for the sake of other users and the sake of having Avast keep a better rapport with their current and potential future users.  Again my only reason for posting these ideas is to sustain a larger Avast user base because a more successful Avast benefits not only me but everyone on this board.  Can we at least agree on that?
Why not contact Avast directly and give them your expert advice. If they agree with you, they may even offer you a job.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 01:49:02 AM »
Nice thought Bob, at my age however I don't think I really need a  job anymore, besides that I'm sure I'd bore them to death with my long-winded suggestions anyway ::);)  Ya think?  8)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 02:43:11 PM »
Thank you for your replies but the popups are just not relevant to me so how is Avast directing these "offers"?

I don't want to read/see pupups not relevant to me, if I cannot control what happens on my PC screen then I'm going to find an alternative AV as this is annoying and intrusive, a problem that has just started happening which is really confusing.

Again, today I got another 2 popups advising me on password protection from hackers! Jeez stop reminding me already.

I don't need any other features for AV protection, the free AV does just fine so I'm not upgrading for the only purpose of hiding offers as that would be ridiculous.

So what can I do? Please assist :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 05:15:21 PM »
The fact is, as long as the adds are generating more money then 'negative sentiment/reaction' they will continue.
Apparently, Avast is working on "a balance" to pop up adds however, if one wants no adds then a balance may be unachievable.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 05:38:30 AM »
Thank you for your replies but the popups are just not relevant to me so how is Avast directing these "offers"?

I don't want to read/see pupups not relevant to me, if I cannot control what happens on my PC screen then I'm going to find an alternative AV as this is annoying and intrusive, a problem that has just started happening which is really confusing.

Again, today I got another 2 popups advising me on password protection from hackers! Jeez stop reminding me already.

I don't need any other features for AV protection, the free AV does just fine so I'm not upgrading for the only purpose of hiding offers as that would be ridiculous.

So what can I do? Please assist :)

I've sent you a PM (look in "My Messages").