Author Topic: Avast Free Breaks Outlook 2010  (Read 13964 times)

REDACTED

Avast Free Breaks Outlook 2010
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:24:33 PM »
I am running Outlook 2010 on Windows 7.  Four or 5 days ago the new version of Avast Free 2015.10.2.2218 was installed on my system.  Since that time, my Outlook 2010 cannot send or receive emails via POP or IMAP if I have the email shield activated.  I've been reading for the last 5 days how Avast has been exhibiting these problems for years and the only effective resolution I've read about online is to disable the email shield.  I have uninstalled Avast with Revo Uninstaller and AvastClear twice and reinstalled Avast only to have problem reappear.  I have tried virtually every combination of email scanner configuration, Avast settings, and Outlook 2010 email configurations as well as Avast troubleshooting options.  I've been working on this almost full time for 5 days to no avail.

1.  Has Avast identified the cause of this problem?
2.  If not, is Avast working on the problem?
3.  When is a solution expected?

I have used Avast for many years on multiple systems.  I want to keep using the software and will eventually purchase licenses, however, this issue may end my relationship with Avast if it can't be resolved.  I have recommended Avast to many of my clients also.  I can provide more information on my system, but I don't really think it is necessary to evaluate my situation since it has been occurring for quite a few years and there should be quite a bit of documentation on it.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Free Breaks Outlook 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:31:48 PM »
There is no problem for avast to work on.
The solution is to configure your email correct.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »
What do I have configured wrong?  I've been using Avast for years as I stated and Outlook 2010 suddenly broke when the new Avast version was installed.  If you are stating I have something misconfigured, please advise.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:42:58 PM by richard244 »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 11:23:42 PM »
richard244 - I'm personally assuming that you've made the effort to verify that your email accounts are setup properly as prescribed by the email accounts you have in your Outlook 2010 email client program, right?

Secondly I"m going to assume that you've also "Tested the account" settings, that is in Outlook 2010 by going to: File > Account Settings > Selected an account > Clicked on "Change" > "Test Account Settings" to see if the account passes.

Thirdly I'm assuming that perhaps you've tried a "repair" of each account to make doubly sure (in Outlook 2010: File > Account Settings > Select an account > Repair).  And to go the extra measure even tried deleting and re-entered an account and tested the account once re-entered.

All that said I'm going over all the above for the sake of the doubters as I'm personally presuming there is probably nothing wrong with your account settings, but I provide all this up front in order to convince any other posters that you've actually got your accounts setup properly.  So sorry for all the detail, but we want to get all of this out of the way so that we can get down to my suggestion (which won't sit well with some on this board undoubtedly).

Now with all that out of the way so there can be no doubt that we likely have an issue with the new Avast version (that is absent anyone on this board giving us any reason to conclude otherwise which we resolutely welcome at any time).

richard244 - All I can say to you is that I am using Avast 2014.9.0.2021 (last version of 2014) and I regularly use MS Outlook 2010 and all emails get scanned just fine without any problem which of course is one of many aspects that Avast is expected to do for the user.

With that in mind there will be "volunteer helper" posters that will call my post "BS" or "wrong" or "misguided" or whatever else they can think of to demean my post but let me suggest to you this line of thought below based on deductive reasoning to reach a rational conclusion.

Based on the premise that unless Avast "volunteers" can provide a definitive answer to your problem you have richard244 with the current version of Avast then the following situation based on what you've posted would have to be undeniably true:

1) You've said based on what you've read: "the only effective resolution I've read about online is to disable the email shield".

2) OK, based on this premise obviously a disabled email shield provides you with absolutely zero protection (something we can all agree on of course)

So we should be able to reach the conclusion that this is of no help at all to you.

So with these two numbered points above established as fact (let me be clear, if either point 1 or point 2 are wrong then those who hold that opinion please post how and why, we welcome this) then the logical conclusion that if one version of Avast can at least provide email protection based on the fact that emails do get scanned as opposed to another Avast version where emails do NOT get scanned thus provides zero email protection then based on deductive logic we should  ALL be able to agree that the version that minimally does provide protection is the more logical choice to take based on deductive reasoning.

Now that I've established that an older version that actually does provide critical protection is the common sense path to take versus applying a more current version that veritably does not provide this same critical protection based on simple logical deduction, well I'm still NOT going to be surprised if we end up with posters expressing the opinion that undeniable logic as stated above still equals "BS" or perhaps any of the other demeaning narratives I posted before.

The fact remains if no one can provide and answer regarding the scanning of emails for this version under question and the only answer is to NOT scan emails then I challenge anyone to suggest that it's not better to at least have the ability to scan emails using an older version of Avast.  I know that I'm going to hear that there are other aspects of the newer version that provide the user with better security.  Really?  You can say this when emails arriving that are not scanned can be arguably the most likely way a user may get his computer compromised happens to be the case?

Now it's up to any who want to still make the claim I am posting "BS" advise how for whatever reason this advise is bad.  Obviously you can do this by providing an answer for richard244 in regards to the version he is using now as it applies to scanning incoming emails.  And of course let me suggest to those who are tempted to demean my conclusions that if you cannot address the issue as it applies to the current version of Avast being used by richard244 then it would behoove you to please remain silent.  All you have to do to shutdown my verbose post here is to provide an answer for richard244 regarding the question posted.

Unfortunately, I have to go through all of this richard244 because of the very defensive nature of a few of the "volunteers" on this board (as you might have noticed) and the apparent fact that some have difficulty contemplating simple logic as to the respective approach they take toward posters requesting help to their problem and since it's been a few hours now and so far no answers have been provided to you I thought it reasonable to offer an alternative path for the present time at least until this issue has been resolved by someone for you in regards to the Avast version you're now using.  I will add that at the certain objection of some on this board  I feel reasonably safe using the version of Avast I have.  Now of course if you feel at risk doing so it's up to you to decide which is the safer way to go all I'm trying to do is offer a way to stay with Avast (which I recommend for now) during the interim until your issue is ultimately addressed.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 11:33:38 PM »
Btw, richard244, one other point, not knowing what email accounts you have setup in MS Outlook 2010, have you determined that your email account servers are working properly?

What is the error that your getting back?

Post any other relevant information.  This way we're able to nail down that it is indeed due to the new Avast version as you've said.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 12:06:35 AM »
2) OK, based on this premise obviously a disabled email shield provides you with absolutely zero protection (something we can all agree on of course)
Not correct

With that in mind there will be "volunteer helper" posters that will call my post "BS" or "wrong" or "misguided" or whatever else they can think of to demean my post.......
To avoid that i wont go in detail   ;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:13:39 AM »
Richard,
tried it with ssl/tls disabled in the mailshield ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 12:29:48 AM »
@ richard244
For Microsoft Outlook, avast should normally be using the avast plug-in/add-in for email scanning and not the Mail Shield.

Make sure the avast plug-in/add-in is not disabled in MS Outlook:
Outlook 2007 > Tools > Trust center > Add-ins > Manage Disabled items.
Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items

The above examples should hopefully guide you to the area in Outlook 2010 to check to see if it is enabled or disabled (as I don't have any personal experience of MS Outlook 2010).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 01:40:39 AM »
DavidR is on the right track perhaps.

In MS Outlook2010 got to: File > Options > Add-Ins > at the bottom of the interface window you'll see "Manage: Comm add-ins, Click the "Go" and see if Avast! add-in is checked.  If not check it and Click "OK".  The  other drop-down at the last "Manage" prompt is a list of the disabled add-ins which all it does is list the what is disabled. You'll need to use the top top drop-down to enable (check) the "Avast! add-in" if it isn't already.  I always get the Avast splash screen when launching MS Outlook2010 to remind me it's running. 

I should have thought of this myself, especially since I am using MS Outlook2010, good catch by DavidR!!

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »
I have just spent an hour editing a reply and the entry was lost so this will be brief and to the point.

Lakrsrool, yes to your point 1, 2 and 3.  I have 2 POP3, 1 IMAP and 1 MAPI text messaging accounts.  I rebuilt 1 POP3 account.  I have "tested account settings", reconfigured ports and security settings and retested for hours trying all sorts of combinations.

I have tested with the MS Outlook add-in for Avast activated and deactivated under varying Outlook and Avast configurations.  I have spent about 50 to 60 hours on this problem so far.

Try Googling "Avast breaks Outlook" or "Avast Microsoft Outlook errors" and you will see the same problem I have or similar problems caused by Avast product updates since 2010 or earlier.  The only reliable solution has been to turn off the Avast email scanner.

Apparently, one issue with resolving this problem permanently is that it does not effect every Avast user.  It appears after a program upgrade for virtually every affected user and the symptoms have been the same since 2010 or earlier.  The only consistent solution has been to disable the email scanner which provides no protection.  I have not read any suggestions from Avast other than to suggest disabling the email scanner.

I don't claim to have tried every possible Avast and Outlook configuration, but I have tested for many hours with varying configurations including having the Avast SSL setting on and off, setting the Avast - Settings - Troubleshooting settings for "Ignored addresses" field with entries or blank, setting Avast Add-in for Outlook to enabled or disabled, and many other configurations.  The only consistent solution to the issue is to disable the email scanner.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 05:30:11 PM »
These are the errors I get for the 3 accounts I'm testing:

Task 'richardxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC13) :
'Cannot connect to the network. Verify your network connection or modem.'

Task 'richardxxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC13) :

Task 'Richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC13) :

Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for richardxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com.'
reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders
for richardxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com. Error: The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly
terminated by the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact
your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Task 'Richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) :
'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues,
contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The
server responded: +OK 6378 octets follow.'

All network connections are fine and I can access the internet when the email scanner is active, but these errors occur when I attempt to send or receive emails.  My personally identifiable information has been removed from the errors.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 05:40:17 PM »
Eddy, The "Expert Settings" are not available in the latest version of Avast.  I have tested SSL scanning on and off in conjunction with many other Avast and MS Outlook 2010 configurations.  I came across your referenced "How to Use Avast to Disable SSL/TIS in Outlook" posting a couple of days ago.  Sorry, but this does not help.  Only disabling the email scanner helps resolve the situation.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 06:25:23 PM »
Hmmm, I was hoping it was perhaps the "Avast! add-in" that wasn't enabled that was causing the problems.

It sounds like you've been very thorough. In regards to issues with Avast compatibilities with MS Outlook I am aware that Avast had issues back around version 5 and/or 6 if I recall correctly but it's been my experience that definitely since Avast version 7 and on up from version 8 to version 2014 (version 8 jumped to version 2014 if I recall correctly so that entails 3 major Avast versions) Avast has worked OK with MS Outlook, so yes there's been problems way back but from my perspective there have been about 3 more recent Avast versions, ~version 7 to the last version before this current 2015 that have worked OK with MS Outlook.  I can't speak to the current 2015 Avast version however since I've elected (certainly against the advise of some on this board of course) to remain with the latest Avast 2014 version and have no interest at all in upgrading at this time for various reasons I won't go into here that actually have nothing to do with MS Outlook.

It would be nice to hear from someone on this board who is actually using Avast 2015 (your version specifically) along with MS Outlook2010 that works for them.  You've said that the issue isn't persistent across all examples which certainly seems odd to me.

When all is said and done I'd have to return back to my initial point, that is I'd personally rather have email protection for emails arriving and being opened as opposed to the absence of this protection hence my personal preference as unpopular as it might be with some on this board would be to revert back to Avast 2014 so that I'd at least be protected in an area that in my opinion is very critical.  As I see it the differences between Avast2014 and 2015 simply do not trump not having email protection in the case of version 2015 so for me it's a no brainer as to what I'd do, but then that's up to you.

At this point I'm personally not very hopeful that a resolution will be forthwith in your case as far as using Avast2015 in combination with MS Outlook2010.

Please if anyone is using Avast2015 + MS Outlook2010 and it works post your reply here!!! (don't just skip by)

It would be my conclusion that what you've dug up in regards to past correspondence on the subject of compatibility issues involving Avast and MS Outlook may be related to either the much older versions of Avast and of course possibly the current 2015 version as well that I can't personally speak to, but I could be wrong and perhaps your right that this issue is intermittent with absolutely no consistency spanning all Avast versions (but I'd still be surprised if this was the case).  Again as you know based on your preferences if nobody else can provide you with any further assistance you always have the option of going back to the previous Avast version that you know did work (as unpopular as that might be for some on this board as you know).  Oh and from my recollection you're correct about the "expert settings" information, if I recall correctly that does goe back a ways in regards to older versions of Avast.

Good luck, I certainly hope someone can come  to the rescue here (clearly email protection is without a doubt a paramount requirement of any Anti-Virus application and MS Outlook is a very prevalent Email client program so there should not be an issue here) and I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for this thread topic for any possible resolution as well as what your final conclusion is as to what you've decided to do in the end.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 06:31:00 PM by lakrsrool »

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 06:43:03 PM »
lakrsrool, my references to the problem being inconsistent among Avast/Outlook users is based on older cases.  I have not heard from any Avast 2015.10.2.2218/Outlook 2010 users to determine if it is consist or inconsistent among users today.  Avast has also been know to impact other email clients, again based on older cases.

My solution at this time is to search for the Avast 2014 version on the Avast site preferably.  I will have to wait for more responses and give the matter more thought before I make a final decision.  I really want to make use of the Avast remore control functions since I service PCs as a hobby and that feature will help me quite a bit since I have been recommending Avast to all my clients.

Thanks for your suggestions.