Author Topic: Why can't I update my virus definitions?  (Read 4282 times)

REDACTED

Why can't I update my virus definitions?
« on: May 24, 2015, 09:38:58 AM »
I am a user of avast! Internet Security. Recently a window which says "Your virus defeinitions are out of date. You should update them now." popped up several times from the orange avast! icon in the system tray of my computer. But every time my effort to update the virus definitions ended in failure and the software always told me that the host was unreachable and the engine and definitions were already up to date. Can anybody tell me how to fix this problem?

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
Re: Why can't I update my virus definitions?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »
Hello,

Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:41:46 AM »
I am a user of avast! Internet Security. Recently a window which says "Your virus defeinitions are out of date. You should update them now." popped up several times from the orange avast! icon in the system tray of my computer. But every time my effort to update the virus definitions ended in failure and the software always told me that the host was unreachable and the engine and definitions were already up to date. Can anybody tell me how to fix this problem?
Repair Avast:
1. Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> Avast
2. Click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »
I have a very similar problem.  I am also getting a message that says "Your virus definitions are out of date. You should update them now". But on the overview tab, it says that everything is up to date.

And when I try to update the definitions manually it says "Unknown error".

This problem started to occur after I installed "anti-WannaCry" updates for Windows (KB4012212, KB4012215). This might be just a coincidence, but I reckon I should mention this.
I tried to repair Avast, as Asyn suggested, but with no luck.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:28:09 PM by dr0 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 03:30:04 PM »
Change your DNS to Googles DNS and try again.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
I don't know what exactly has changed, but today my Avast successfully automatically updated its virus definitions. This happened before I even touched any settings, like DNS etc. This is really weird.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 04:32:20 PM »
You can put the issue down to an unknown issue with an avast server.  You were not able to connect to it.

Problem was not with your machine, at least in this case.

Happens.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 01:26:36 PM »
It happens again.  :(
Moreover, it happens on all my PCs. I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop with Avast 2015 under Windows 7. I know that it's an older version, but I prefer the UI of this version over the newer ones and would like to continue using it. AFAIK they discontinued virus definitions updates only for version 4.8, which was released in 2009.
I tried to use Googles DNS, but it didn't help.
I also tried to connect avast to the internet using a proxy connection, but the outcome was exactly the same:

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 04:17:13 PM »
https://www.avast.com/download-update

Why are you still using a old version (2015) ?
You are missing several protection layers.