Author Topic: false positive cloud rep suspect  (Read 9472 times)

REDACTED

false positive cloud rep suspect
« on: May 25, 2015, 12:42:56 PM »
All my apps for android are reported as a virus. something like cloud rep suspect
I know there arent any in it because i wrote them!

Only (external) libraries i use are official Android/Google ones

I think this has something to do by someone reporting me as "suspect"?

Why is it so easy to get a bad reputation? DO you people actually CHECK if there is any truth to the reports???

This is costing me downloads and money. What is the avast adress i can send a bill to for all my missed income?

I have reported a false positive 10 times and no result!!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: false positive cloud rep suspect
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:53:49 PM »
Suspicious is not the same as malware.
It means that they are suspicious, avast is not saying they are malware.
Those are two different things.

If someone reports a application from you as suspicious to avast, avast will have a look at it and if needed adjust their detection.
avast does not just say "Hé, someone is reporting it as suspicious lets mark it as suspicious".
They will have a thorough look at it before they change the detection/reporting.

You say it is a false positive, but that doesn't have to be and likely is not.
As I said earlier, suspicious is not the same as detecting/reporting something as malware.

How and when did you send the reports ?
About what application(s) are you talking about ?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 10:23:51 PM »
Suspicious is not the same as malware.
It means that they are suspicious, avast is not saying they are malware.
Those are two different things.

If someone reports a application from you as suspicious to avast, avast will have a look at it and if needed adjust their detection.
avast does not just say "Hé, someone is reporting it as suspicious lets mark it as suspicious".
They will have a thorough look at it before they change the detection/reporting.

You say it is a false positive, but that doesn't have to be and likely is not.
As I said earlier, suspicious is not the same as detecting/reporting something as malware.

How and when did you send the reports ?
About what application(s) are you talking about ?

I appreciate your willingness to reply but wow there are so many wrongs in your response i dont know where to start.

i just start at the top. Suspicious is not the same as malware, yes i know but do my users know that?
avast for android will report in a big red color 4 problems! I have 4 of my own apps on my Phone all have the same couldrep suspect thing.
It will then offer to "fix" it which will no doubt mean quarantine or delete it or some such i didnt even bother to try.
2 of these apps are not even published in the app store or anywhere else!!! still give a red flag!

So avast IS checking my app. thats nice a thorough look no less. Now you tell me its likely not a false positive. HOW do they come to the conclusion my app is suspicious if all i use are internet permission and check network state.
Thats just insane.

The mere fact that my unpublished apps are also'" suspect" means that you flagged my google account. Anything i made or make or my childrens children will make using this account will be doomed to fail because of you red flagging everything beforehand.

This is costing me money. I want full reparations preferably in gold bullion or pounds of liver off your CEO.

these are the 3 apps i have published: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Hoeheetdezeboom&hl=nl

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Hoeheetdezeboom.Noads&hl=nl

and this ridiculously innocuous flashlight app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flashlight.onyourphone&hl=nl
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:47:22 PM by Chris326 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:19:10 AM »
Suspicious is not the same as malware, yes i know but do my users know that?
Ask your users, they are the only ones who can answer that. :)

avast does not flag google (or other) accounts.

You can read more about (possible) false positives and report them:
https://blog.avast.com/tag/false-positive/

PS:
Misschien heb je nog iets aan deze websites:
http://www.bomengids.nl
http://www.bomen-determineren.com/bomenlijst.html

En een tip:
Neem een eigen domein naam en niet een subdomein van Ceejay's.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 10:14:33 AM »
Amazing how you actually refuse to answer my post in a logical way.

I dont need to ask my users if they know my apps arent malware, that was a retorical question.

If you get a big red problem message from your antivirus program you dont ask questions you uninstall the app

90% of my downloads are immediately uninstalled, that should tell you a *lot* of them probably get that message

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »
90% of my downloads are immediately uninstalled, that should tell you a *lot* of them probably get that message
It doesn't say anything at all about why they uninstall it. If I look at the rating in the Google store it seems that people just don't like it.
I think this has something to do by someone reporting me as "suspect"?
Only applications/websites can be reported, not people.
DO you people actually CHECK if there is any truth to the reports???
Ofcourse reported applications/websites are checked.
What is the avast adress i can send a bill to for all my missed income?
You will get nothing. If you publish something it is at your own risk. anti-malware software do have false positives at times. Nothing there can be done about it to prevent it.
I have reported a false positive 10 times and no result!!
What are the dates and ticket numbers?

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 05:46:01 PM »
I want full reparations preferably in gold bullion or pounds of liver off your CEO.
Dear collegues, I want to subscrube to AVAST CEO's liver too!

Let me explain more.
We are live in small siberian town. If my innocent girl walks on the street *first time* and some guy says "Guys, she looks  suspicious, suspicious! I did'nt know her before" we, here, probably call to ambulance.
Avast performs exactly the same manner as mad guy. Typical android application mostly communicate to remote servers using cryptoprotocols, store data, crypt data, read sms, send sms...  Why not to mark ALL of android apps as suspicious? Google example apps, compiled & installed on my devices are also marked as susp by AVAST. Time to call ambulance to AVAST. Or susbcribe to AVAST CEO's liver.

Regards, Alexander

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 07:47:11 PM »
Same here.

I'm an Android app developer, and Avast flags my app as "CloudRep [susp]" (a user sent me a screenshot).

The message's design clearly communicates "danger, danger", it has a big red button offering the user to block the app.

I contacted Avast support about this before, the message and its wording were somewhat different, but the essence was the same, my app getting flagged and alarming users.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 03:00:05 PM »
have you tested your apps at  www.virustotal.com  /  www.metascan-online.com
if tested before, always click rescan for a fresh result

Offline Ondřej David

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 10:52:03 AM »
Hi,

many of the topics related to the "CloudRep [Susp]" detection have been answered here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=179031

But to recap:
The "CloudRep [Susp]" is a warning-like message for applications that are very new/rare/previously unseen in our userbase.
For you as a developer, there is an option to disable these reputation-based services in the 'App shield' for AMS4 and 'Settings -> Real-time protection' in the new AMS5.
Once you publish an official release on play store (or similar), you should not see any such warnings anymore. If for any reason you cannot/don't want to publish your app through these stores, you might want to request whitelisting of the samples in advance as described here: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB229 or alternatively send a false positive request here: https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php

Best regards,
Ondrej

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »
My apps are listed as suspicious by your antivirus software. I ask you why since my app are certified from many sources and do not contain any suspicious code.
Please let me know how to communicate you my apps links and what is the procedure for avast to remove this blocks!!!

ASAP Please

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »
Please read the message above yours, what you need to do is request whitelisting.