Author Topic: Steam .scr virus not detected, my account is gone  (Read 2271 times)

REDACTED

Steam .scr virus not detected, my account is gone
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:11:17 PM »
I was using steam client and i received a ping with a .scr link from a friend. thinking that at the max, it will be a screensaver, i opened it(I know i shouldnt have, was too curious). then i found steam logged out and asking username(found i got trapped). I immediately shutoff internet and deleted the .scr after closing its running processes. logged off windows and logged on back. Then i tried logging in to my account and it worked yesterday. Played games for 2-3 hours, no issues. But next day, steam is not auto logging into my account. when i give forgot password, i didnt receive mail to my verified email id. Also when i try to retrieve account , i get that my username and my mail id  doesnt exist in database. 
That is : my account details have been hijacked. Avast was running all the time, dint detect anything.. no warnings.
I even remember avast doing some deep scan and said its OK when opening scr.

Similar problem is reported in
https://forum.avast.com/?topic=154908.0
but no responses.

My account is lost and I am waiting for steam support to help.
I dont have the .scr link it was present in steam chat and i cant login now .
I hope avast could help me in some way as this issue is persisting for Looong time (2 years) without any proper solution till now.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Steam .scr virus not detected, my account is gone
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:17:59 PM »
help with false postitives and virus is done in viruses and worms forum section

at top in that section is a how to get help guide ....  Logs to assist in cleaning malware

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 07:40:04 PM »
so should i repost this again there ?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 08:08:27 PM »
I am not sure what help it is  you want?

Your steam account issue is something steam support must help you with
If you want a malware check, then follow instructions in the guide and attach requested logs