Author Topic: How to close Avast (Not turn off shields)  (Read 9790 times)

REDACTED

How to close Avast (Not turn off shields)
« on: May 26, 2015, 05:52:30 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but I seem to be having a difficult time just closing Avast. When I try from task manager it denies it, and I do not see any option in the program. How does one stop the program (without removing it)
I am trying to make settings changes to the system, and with several of the settings it asks me to close Avast to continue.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How to close Avast (Not turn off shields)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 05:56:57 PM »
Right click the avast icon near the clock > avast shield control

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 05:59:47 PM »
Right click the avast icon near the clock > avast shield control

There is no option to exit the program there, only to turn shields off, which is not sufficient

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 06:01:30 PM »
which is not sufficient
sufficient for doing what?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »
which is not sufficient
sufficient for doing what?

For making the changes I stated above

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 06:05:41 PM »
and why would you do that?

there is no off button ... turn off avast self protection and try to kill it

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 06:09:57 PM »
Settings - Troubleshooting - Enable Avast self-defence module ... and uncheck that.
Now you can kill Avast! in taskmanager. On your own risk !!!

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 06:24:48 PM »
pletsch555,

there is really no need to disable anti-malware software entirely in order to install other software.
Disabling the shields for a couple of minutes should do.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 08:24:09 PM »
Settings - Troubleshooting - Enable Avast self-defence module ... and uncheck that.
Now you can kill Avast! in taskmanager. On your own risk !!!

Greetz, Red.

That worked ! Thank you

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 08:27:31 PM »
pletsch555,

there is really no need to disable anti-malware software entirely in order to install other software.
Disabling the shields for a couple of minutes should do.

pletsch555, I agree with the last post by Eddy, this should be the case.

I have a question, your topic title: "How to close Avast (Not turn off shields)" would suggest that you've tried turning the shield(s) off.

Is that true, have you already tried turning off the shields?

Actually I would think just turning off the "File System Shield" only would be enough to allow you to change the settings your referencing.

I tried disabling shields, and it would still not allow me to change SLI settings, I also cannot change partition information while Avast is running or change coprocessor settings for programs.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 05:57:16 PM »
I suggest you submit a ticket and put a link to this thread in it.
Looks to me this is something avast should have a look at.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 06:31:25 PM »
Once again I agree with Eddy A user should not have to kill Avast to make these kinds of changes to settings.

On a side note there's something a bit odd, we can see that pletsch555 has replied to my post (so that's proof I did post the message where I initially agreed with Eddy regarding the shields in a previous post) but for some reason my actual post subsequent to Eddy's post just above where pletsch555 replied that includes my post as we can see no longer displays (presumably deleted) from this topic.  So what's up with posts getting deleted? (or is it posts are disappearing in as much as this just another forum bug like the one where sometimes posts disappear, get blanked out due to a known bug, when composing and sending them?)  Or maybe I shouldn't be agreeing with Eddy to avoid my posts disappearing ;) ha ha just a joke folks ;D
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 06:40:53 PM »
I saw your post so it wasn't the disappearing post problem.
When that bug happens, you usually know about it right way.  :(
Also can't tell you anything else as to why your post vanished. ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
I saw your post so it wasn't the disappearing post problem.
When that bug happens, you usually know about it right way.  :(
Also can't tell you anything else as to why your post vanished. ???

Thanks for the reply Bob. :)

Yes I know it was there and the proof is as I said that it was there long enough for the topic OP to reply to it because that reply by the OP does include my post which as I said serves as proof that it did exist in this thread for a time.  And obviously since it was there I was able to complete the post so I understand it wasn't the bug we are all aware of regarding composing and sending posts that's been around for some time but never gets fixed.  The only conclusion is that either someone deleted it (I'm presuming that users have this capability and of course you've mentioned this capability regarding a post of mine in the past as you know) or if it was not deleted then the only other conclusion is there's ANOTHER bug because after all what else could be the explanation since absent the post getting deleted (in other words it was NOT in fact deleted) posts do NOT simply vanish out of thin air for no reason thus ANOTHER "bug" would have to be the only alternative explanation.  That said, if vanishing posts are not something that anyone is aware in regards to ANOTHER "bug" then I would have to conclude the post was in fact deleted (for whatever reason I'd really like to know as all I was doing is posting in agreement with a prominent poster on this board) of course that is again assuming that there are some "volunteers" that do have the ability to do so as I said before.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.