Author Topic: Installation on different Machines are recognized as same Machine and renamed  (Read 12564 times)

REDACTED

I might have answered my own question :)

Ignoring the fact Windows is imaged with sysprep, I did not use the VirtualBox clone feature to duplicate the VM guest and then move to another physical computer host.  I was lead to believe you just needed to clone if running on the same physical host because the UUIDs would conflict without it.  I just copied the VM files over and used "Add" to read the VM config back in. 

Under normal circumstances this is not a major problem if MOVING the VM, but I intended to run both copies of the VM at the same time.  I believe this might be what is getting me in strife (when software uses the hardware/SMBIOS UUID to identify the unique machine as I expect Avast is probably doing). 

A more correct method would have been to use the Virtualbox clone feature, then move the newly created clone (which has a new hardware UUID generated automatically) to the new physical host.  Alternatively I should be able to generate a new UUID and then use
Code: [Select]
vboxmanage modifyvm "myvmclone" --hardwareuuid <newuuid> on the new VM make the SMBIOS environment unique, regardless of OS uniqueness.

Anyway I will try this out next week.

REDACTED

A month passed and avast not yet solved the problem. For me this is nonsense. Remember that Kaspersky and Trend work perfectly. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(