Author Topic: Help! Downloaded potential viruses!  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Michael1857

Help! Downloaded potential viruses!
« on: January 28, 2020, 05:31:38 AM »
Hi,
I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not very experienced with anything tech related, so bear with me.

Recently someone was trying to sell me some unreleased music from an artist I really like on reddit, but I declined. Only a few days later another account messaged me with links to download all the songs for free. Of course I clicked each link (there were about 10) and downloaded the audio files from the page it took me to (something called dbree I think) directly to my phone (I have a Huawei nova 3i). I only realised later how weird it was that this second person knew I wanted the songs, but also knew which song in particular I told the first guy I really liked. The second guy had that song name as the message subject.

I went back to the first guy and asked if it was him who sent the songs from another account, but he said it wasn't, and that the second guy was actually the one who sent the songs to him in the first place. Could the second guy have access to the first guy and my messages because the first guy downloaded those potentially dangerous links from him, in order to see which song I wanted, and that I wanted them in the first place? Does this mean since I also downloaded the links the same thing could happen to me? The files I downloaded were mostly mp3s but there was also a flac file and an m4a file.

Am I overreacting or should I be concerned? What measures can I take to make sure nothing bad happens to my device.

Thanks!

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Help! Downloaded potential viruses!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 04:32:23 PM »
Question: Do you have Avast Mobile Security on that Android phone (Huawei nova 3i)?
If you do, then have you scanned your phone?
Also maybe better to ask your question here in the specific part of the forum dedicated to Android Security:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=37.0