Author Topic: aol mail blocking avast url  (Read 5067 times)

ruthemm

aol mail blocking avast url
« on: October 31, 2005, 02:08:31 AM »
First time sending mail to 2 @aol.com addresses.  Seems aol blocked and bounced my html mails with hotlink to Avast in outbound clean note.  I turned off inserting the note and the mail was delivered.  So can Avast tell aol to whitelist the Avast url or has anyone found a workaround besides removing the hotlink?  I like letting people know I'm proactive about scanning email and giving them an easy way to check Avast out.

tia,
ruthe

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: aol mail blocking avast url
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 03:49:25 PM »
You can edit the message that is inserted and remove the html link to the web site from the HTML message text (there are two of them one for clean and one for infected).

This bit is the bit that needs to be edited <a href="http://www.avast.com">avast! Antivirus</a> can be edited to 'avast! Antivirus' without the quotes
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: AOL mail blocking avast URL
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 05:23:02 PM »
We are trying to make them remove this stupid blacklist, but they don't seem to be very cooperative.

I'd say it's another reason to say goodbye to AOL and switch to a real provider. I know, when you're sending e-mail to AOL, you can hardly to anything about it. Oh well, that's AOL...

ruthemm

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 05:59:57 PM »
I emailed aol postmaster complaining in disbelief but their instructions were for the owner of the domain to contact them.  I don't think we should let aol get away with this.  I will gladly participate in a critical mass toward that end.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 06:10:26 PM »
AOHell block an unbelievable large amount of email and the thing is, for the most part you are totally unaware that AOHell has deleted email it filters as SPAM. Many, many email newsletters can't be delivered to AOHell addresses because it classes them as spam even though you have opted-in to receive the email newsletter.

I much prefer to be in charge of my own spam filtering.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fishingteach1

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 05:06:49 PM »
I spoke w/ AOL support, surprise surprise, Joel was very helpful.  He said "someone has morphed Avast's URL and AOL had added Avast to their blocked site. :P 

He indicated that Avast was a good program but I should remove the tag line that included Avast notification and I should have no problem. ;)

I hope this works, I went into the program Avast program, Internet Mail, customize, SMTP and unchecked the "Insert note into clean message".

So far the Daemon has not returned. ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 05:53:29 PM »
You could as I said edit the html messages and just remove the hot link to avast (rather than disable the insert note), that should also get through the filter and still give the remainder of the clean email message.

fishingteach1

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 07:14:22 PM »
Yes, you are correct.  I was just giving the response that AOL gave and it did work. 

I was just surprised w/ the response and help I received from AOL, not usually my experience w/ them.  Possibly losing so many customers is having a positive effect on them.