Author Topic: Avast Free Antivirus 2015.10.2.2214 Problem  (Read 4027 times)

REDACTED

Avast Free Antivirus 2015.10.2.2214 Problem
« on: March 17, 2015, 05:06:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to report a problem with new version of Avast (version 2015.10.2.2214).

So after updating my Avast Free Antivirus few days ago from version 2015.10.0.2208 to version 2015.10.2.2214 Temp folder (in C/Windows/Temp) becomes inaccessible.
Instead I am prompted to change settings for this folder in Security Tab. Haven't had this problem before the update.
Update was done manually through Avast GUI.

Antivirus: Avast Antivirus Free version

If anyone had this same problem and knows a fix for it, please let me know.

Online Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast Free Antivirus 2015.10.2.2214 Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
Hi there,

This is a known issue for some users.

It's worth trying a clean install since I remember a clean install did fix it for one user.

You need to perform a clean install:

Note: It's important you used the stub online installer from the one I linked.. NOT the offline one.

Note: You need to be ONLINE during this install (online installer works in all cases whereas offline sometimes doesn't)

1.Download your version of avast! and the avastclear tool:
Avast Free Antivirus
Avast Pro Antivirus
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Download Avast Clear Tool

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #3]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear. [Running Avastclear is normal mode will give a prompt to go into Safe Mode]
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.

Note : If you have a paid license, insert the license key/activation code after the reboot at stage 6.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. It's better to ask than make a mistake and start over again with the process.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:16:04 PM by Alikhan »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »
Hi Alikhan,

Thank you for the reply.  :)
I'll try it out for the weekend and report back if I manage to fix the issue.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 03:49:09 PM »
Hello,

So I did what you told me and followed provided instructions.

First I uninstalled Avast through Control Panel and then used avastclear tool in Safe mode.
After I removed Avast completely and checked Device Manager I booted Windows normally.
Then I checked Temp folder in C/Windows and I could access it without any problems.
Then I downloaded Avast Free from the link you provided and installed in. Setup went fine and then I rebooted the PC.
After the reboot I checked the Temp folder and it was again inaccessible.
I even tried to change the Owner to Administrator in the Security tab/Advanced but but I was unable to do so (no mater what I do I get this: Unable to display current owner).

I guess that the last version of Avast just messes something up...  :(

I sure hope that this problem gets fixed in one of the future updates, because I really don't want to replace Avast Free with some other antivirus.

Online Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »
Hello,

So I did what you told me and followed provided instructions.

First I uninstalled Avast through Control Panel and then used avastclear tool in Safe mode.
After I removed Avast completely and checked Device Manager I booted Windows normally.
Then I checked Temp folder in C/Windows and I could access it without any problems.
Then I downloaded Avast Free from the link you provided and installed in. Setup went fine and then I rebooted the PC.
After the reboot I checked the Temp folder and it was again inaccessible.
I even tried to change the Owner to Administrator in the Security tab/Advanced but but I was unable to do so (no mater what I do I get this: Unable to display current owner).

I guess that the last version of Avast just messes something up...  :(

I sure hope that this problem gets fixed in one of the future updates, because I really don't want to replace Avast Free with some other antivirus.

There should be a new release this week. Currently in BETA.

Update the thread when the new version is out.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 05:21:54 PM »
Hi, sorry for not replaying for so long, I was just too busy and couldn't find the time to try to fix the problem.

Anyway I just updated Avast Free to the current version available (2015.10.2.2218) by running the online installer over my existing installation.
Then I restarted my PC and after it booted up I tried accessing the Temp folder in C/Windows/Temp and the folder is still inaccessible.

Luckily I managed to find the solution for this problem (that is without any doubt caused by Avast).
To make Temp folder accessible again:

1. Open up Avast UI and go to Settings,
2. Then go to Troubleshooting  Tab and uncheck Avast Self Defense module (because this is what is causing the problem),
3. Now go to C/Windows/Temp and access the folder.
4. Once you confirm that the folder is accessible start Avast Defense Module again and the Temp folder will still be accessible.

P.S. I don't know if this fix works after a restart or a cold boot of the PC so I'll test it a bit and probably post back tomorrow.