Author Topic: Program Update not possible without rights for PlayStore?  (Read 3008 times)

REDACTED

Program Update not possible without rights for PlayStore?
« on: February 19, 2016, 10:43:09 AM »
Hello,

I have blocked the Google PlayStore with an App Locker to prevent unpermitted downloads.
When Mobile Security says "Update available" and I want to update I run into the block of PlayStore. To give the user the pin of the blocking program reduce blocking to absurdity...
Is there any way to switch off the need of giving a permission before the program updates itself?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Program Update not possible without rights for PlayStore?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 11:03:25 AM »
Hi,

no, all updates must run through Google Play (that is their policy). You can download the new version by yourself and install it manually (from SD card for example), but you need to at least allow installation of apps from unknown sources, which is a potential security risk if you forget to turn it off after the update. So basically a power user can update it without Google Play, common users can't.

Filip

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 11:57:12 AM »
Thanks Filip,
I don't want to find a way "around" Google PlayStore (tooo dangerous :o) but there are several apps that take their update without asking any permission, you only get te message "... was updated" whithout manually opening the PlayStore. That was the way I was looking for...

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 12:00:12 PM »
Well that depends on the exact version you have and the version that is currently available for you. If there aren't any major differences regarding permissions etc, the app will get updated automatically. Otherwise you need to go to Play Store and agree on the changes.

Filip

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 10:34:46 PM »
In the right place but it's a shame you ended your social apps security. Is there anything else to replace it?
tia

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 10:44:47 PM »
In the right place but it's a shame you ended your social apps security. Is there anything else to replace it?
tia

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand. Can you elaborate more? Preferably start another thread as well.

Filip

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 01:07:16 AM »
Thanks Filip,
I don't want to find a way "around" Google PlayStore (tooo dangerous :o) but there are several apps that take their update without asking any permission, you only get te message "... was updated" whithout manually opening the PlayStore. That was the way I was looking for...

You need to go to the PlayStore then go to settings then at the top it will say auto update apps. Change that to never auto update apps.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,