Author Topic: Tech Support/Bomgar- was this safe?  (Read 7827 times)

REDACTED

Tech Support/Bomgar- was this safe?
« on: June 03, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
Hi guys,

I've just come on the boards for the first time, mostly to calm my own paranoia- I had to call Avast for the first time this morning, and I'm just making sure everything was cool with what happened. Basically my issue was that despite having no issues Avast throughout the year, I've recently received two conflicting pieces of info- I registered my software a year ago, and got an email talking about automatic renewal at the end of June (fair enough). However, the system on my computer keeps telling me my FREE version of the software is due to expire in the next 9 days and to update for 20 quid. I called the 203 tech support number to get this sorted, and while on there I was asked to download Bomgar so they could have access to my computer. The tech went through the system and said there was issues with my Windows firewall that there preventing Avast from working on the system properly. After this I was advised to use a 24/7 tech support service for 120GBP for the year, although when I explained I couldn't afford this, I was then given an 80gbp one time service option, which I took. Because I work from home and was busy, I opted to not have the repairs done then and there and was told I could call anytime within the next 30 days to get it done etc.
Because I wasn't expecting Avast to use Bomgar, have complete access to my computer and having paid them 80 pounds already, I was wondering- is this standard practice for Avast, and was it safe? I know there have been reports of Avast scammers over the past few years, so I'm worried of getting hit by something like that. I did get a conformation email and receipt for the 80 pound transaction, but I want to make sure I'm okay before I concede to letting the tech people back on my computer to fix it in the next month.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Tech Support/Bomgar- was this safe?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »
You didn't contact Avast but a 3rd party support.
Best you ask here, our help is free. :)

So, which Avast product did you purchase (if any)..!?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 12:19:15 PM »
I've received confirmation for "Avast Total Support- 1 PC, 1 Incident", or that's what it says on the email anyways!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 12:21:45 PM »
I've received confirmation for "Avast Total Support- 1 PC, 1 Incident", or that's what it says on the email anyways!
Report your experience to Vojta Nekvapil: nekvapil[at]avast.com (3rd Party Support Manager)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:01:39 PM »
I've done so, and he's told me it was all legit. Phew!