Author Topic: SecureLine VPN just suddenly appeared!  (Read 36018 times)

Offline baschlo

SecureLine VPN just suddenly appeared!
« on: June 11, 2015, 02:57:46 AM »
SecureLine VPN just suddenly appeared on my MacBook Pro.  I use the free version of Avast Mac Security.  I didn't ask for this.  I don't think I need it as I only ever use my home router or a Verizon Jetpack when I'm on the road.  I never use public wifi.  I don't know how to use a VPN anyway.  How do I get rid of it?  There doesn't seem to be an "uninstall" option anywhere.  I've attached screenshots of the the two things that now show up on my laptop.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: SecureLine VPN just suddenly appeared!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:48:34 AM »
There doesn't seem to be an "uninstall" option anywhere.

There is such an option. Just open the SecureLine application (window) and select "Uninstall" from the menu.

Offline baschlo

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 03:50:32 AM »
Thanks!

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 05:14:32 PM »
The suggestion to remove was "Just open the SecureLine application (window) and select "Uninstall" from the menu."
To find and open that window, do I need to pay $7 for a seven day subscription? How else can I find it?
It is worth $7 for me to eliminate it now, but will the app keep reinstalling itself in the future as long as I have the free virus protectionm?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 05:23:03 PM »
I'm sure that you don't need to pay to remove it..!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline baschlo

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 03:42:26 AM »
This is in reply to wbendix.  I had a problem finding the option to uninstall as well.  I discovered that you have to open the SecureLine application from the icon on your Launchpad.  Then you will get a drop down list with the uninstall option.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 01:39:58 PM »
I'd like to know how and why the new piece of software installed itself without my permission!  It caused me a lot of problems by continually interrupting my work when I was not connected to the internet.  I am appalled that Avast, of all people, chose to foist unsolicited software onto its users.  I have now deleted it. :-[

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 10:36:01 PM »
I just had 'SecureLine' show up in the menu bar of my Mac after having installed itself without my permission. I do not want it, did not ask for it and just spent nearly half an hour trying to work out how to uninstall it and found this thread.

It is absolute, complete BS for a supposedly reputable company like Avast to install software without permission, and particularly software that requires payment. I have had it with Avast - uninstalling all their software and this will definitely be my first and only post here.

Bye

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 09:35:48 PM »
I tried to open the SecureLine VPN program from the launchpad on my iMac, and there is a dropdown, but all that's in it is city locations. No way to dump this thing!

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »
Hi Wagstoo,

Once you open SecureLine, you can click "Avast SecureLine" in the top left corner - not in the SecureLine app window itself but the top left menu bar.  There is the option to uninstall.

Regards,

Davidek

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 02:20:51 PM »
Peoples, with installing avast you agreed to the license/terms.
Saying it installed itself without permission is not true.
You agreed that avast can install (additional) components/tools if they feel there is a need for it.

Some more information:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=172391.msg1224455#msg1224455

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 11:22:18 PM »
Peoples, with installing avast you agreed to the license/terms.
Saying it installed itself without permission is not true.
You agreed that avast can install (additional) components/tools if they feel there is a need for it.

Some more information:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=172391.msg1224455#msg1224455

Hi Eddy,

While true the terms say this, I can verify that SecureLine does install without user interaction. It is shady at best, but even Apple does it. At least Avast makes it easy to remove, still it would be nice to have a way to opt-out of the install in the first place.

Cheers,
Mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 01:05:36 PM »
Only free products should be opt-out, all paid/trial products should be opt-in.
But that is my opinion.

A more nicer way when installing opt-out products would be :
- mention it during the installation
- ask the people to give a try
- tell them how they can remove it if they don't like/want it
- have a option to give feedback on why they keep using it/removed it

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 01:15:41 PM »
Only free products should be opt-out, all paid/trial products should be opt-in.
But that is my opinion.

A more nicer way when installing opt-out products would be :
- mention it during the installation
- ask the people to give a try
- tell them how they can remove it if they don't like/want it
- have a option to give feedback on why they keep using it/removed it

Good suggestion, I think a nice middle of the road approach that would make everyone comfortable, would be, like you suggested, to say, at the end of the installation: "We have installed X for you to try because we think it's a great product, if you don't want to use it you can completely remove it by (instructions)". Which is transparent and doesn't feel sneaky, at the same time it advertises the product.