Author Topic: Scanning new pics in IM....  (Read 4682 times)

GhosTT

Scanning new pics in IM....
« on: November 02, 2005, 09:02:22 AM »
Geez,
 betting this is just a basic adjustment.

Think something changed in my AVAST settings.

When I download a pic in IM,AVAST kicks in with it's opening sequence....

That used to never happen, it just scanned IM incoming pics.

Know this is general,but  anybody know  why  AVAST seems to reopen?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Scanning new pics in IM....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:40:17 PM »
But anybody know why AVAST seems to reopen?
Maybe you've set C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe to scan your IM files.
Please, check your settings into your IM program.
The best things in life are free.

GhosTT

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 12:25:47 AM »
Thanks but, guess I explained it wrong.

I set avast to scan IM on purpose,the problem is now I have to wait while avast does the "TEST OF MEMORY AND STARTUP" everytime I download an IM pic.

That didn't happen before.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 01:14:26 AM »
That is the default action if you start the simple user interface (S.U.I.)it does a memory scan unless you untick it.

However if you are using the S.U.I. to scan an IM file you have downloaded this is a very long winded way to do it. You can have your IM program scan the file automatically by giving the path to your AV (in Tech's post).

If you still want to do it this way you could stop the memory test, see image, but this is a valuable check prior to a regular local disk scan, so I wouldn't recommend disabling it for everything. You can create a desktop shortcut for "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe" this will launch it without the memory test, but using the regular method of starting avast scan it will scan the memory.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GhosTT

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 01:28:19 AM »
lol
Thank you dave,

I got my avast set up to scan memory , startup, and update itself every time I turn on pc.

It has scanned my IM downloads for a while, for some reason now it checks memory and starup before every IM download.

I'm guessing at this point, my lack of knowledge is stopping me from explaining this right

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 02:28:21 AM »
It has scanned my IM downloads for a while, for some reason now it checks memory and starup before every IM download.
Did you set C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe to scan your IM files?
Or you've done nothing, just set avast! IM Provider to scan your IMs?
The best things in life are free.