Author Topic: Another Netscape 8.0!  (Read 4168 times)

Thomas123

Another Netscape 8.0!
« on: November 03, 2005, 03:41:23 AM »
Firefox 1.5 Release Candidate 1 has just released. It is a very good news to me and those who are Firefox's fans. I found a much greater discovery in Mozilla Update:: Extensions's page. There is a new extension called "IE Tab", which enables Firefox to
launch I.E. windows within Firefox!!! :P People will think that functions like Netscape 8.0 if they are familiar with Netscape 8.0's dobule-rendering-engines feature.

However, I think that extension makes Firefox much better than Netscape 8.0 because Firefox uses less resources than Netscape 8.0 does and has much more functions as long as you add extensions to it.

Firefox extensions always make it the best browser~ :P

johnny223

Re: Another Netscape 8.0!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 05:53:23 AM »
Cool extension, thanks for posting.

i find that when i load pages in IE in firefox, other extensions like "mouse gesture" and "adblock" dont work.
Hope they can fix that.

anyways, thanks again

Thomas123

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 06:56:32 AM »
There is one thing I need to clarify.

When you switch to Internet Explorer mode, you are really using Internet Explorer, which is unlike Netscape 8.0. So cache and cookies are saved under Internet Explorer's Temporary Internet Files folder.

Bugs I have found so far.

1. When you use I.E. within Firefox, links opened in new tabs are switched back to Firefox mode.

2. Sometimes, when you click on a link in I.E. within Firefox, it will suddenly display a blank page after the new page is loaded. (Maybe that is my computer's problem) :-\

3. The "bug" you mentioned in the post. But, I think it is not really a bug because this extension ONLY enables I.E. to be displayed in Firefox. Once you switch to I.E. within Firefox, most of the Firefox's features are disabled.  :-\

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 09:50:49 AM »
Hi Thomas123,

What you have to remember is that IE and FF (or FF-like browsers like Flock) each put their history, cookies and cache in other places. So if you have an alternate browser you have to treat cookie policy twice etc. Using an alternate browser is OK after you have upgraded and fully updates and secured IE. Also you must secure your alternate browser. Latest version always, also all latest upgrades and versions of add-ons installed. Use in-browser security. Run your alternate browser with Avast inside (see their instruction on their home-page), this is the same for FF and for instance Flock. Have add-ons like CookieCuller, NoScript, Adblock plus, and the preference bar to further tweak your security settings. In Flock you can use one governing password for all passwords used. Use NukeAnything, to take out any object you like of a web page, and install (15 k) the Dr.Web plug-in to scan all your hyperlinks for malicious code on their update server in St. Petersburg. Cookie files in FF are text file you can open it up in notepad, clean it out, and later FF will create automattically. In CookieCuller you can give certain cookies a protected status (also in Flock this works perfectly). There are other safety precautions: FraudEliminator add-on. I personally do not like searchbars or side-bars because of security and privacy implications, the preference bar excluded.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Umath

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 11:05:31 AM »
IE/Mozilla hybrid is an interesting approach and some IE alternative browsers are already trying to use Mozilla engine as an option.  IE comes with OS and Mozilla is free so why not combine them for user?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 11:54:54 AM »
CookieCuller is not compatible (yet) with Firefox 1.5 (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=82)  :'(
FraudEliminator either...
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 02:36:34 PM »
Hello Tech,

Working on it or already here as shown here:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2005/09/firefox_15_beta_1_candidates.html

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!