Author Topic: Unfamiliar IP addresses in devices  (Read 17585 times)

REDACTED

Unfamiliar IP addresses in devices
« on: June 14, 2015, 07:42:48 AM »
I ran the scan on my network. It says all is well, but when I checked to see the 6 devices connected to my network, I am concerned that 2 of them show an IP address I don't recognize. I can't seem to find anything to do about it or any ways to find out more. Can someone advise me?

PS-Another thing that's bugging me--the network scan results say I have 6 devices, but when I log in to my Avast account, it shows I have 1 device.  What is up with that???
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:49:28 AM by Jusdewit »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Unfamiliar IP addresses in devices
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 04:00:01 PM »
How is your network setup ?
What OS(s)/SP's ?
What exact version of avast ?
Any other security (related) software installed ? (or did you had)
Running any server software ?
What are the IP's ?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 08:04:55 PM »
My network was set up by the people at AT&T, that's all I know.  I have Windows 8.1.  I don't know what "SP" is though, sorry.  Exact version 2015.10.2.2218 release date 4/21/2015 11:34:24 AM. I've used Windows Defender, AVGFree and have run Malware bites; but since a clean install, only Avast.  Sorry, don't know what server software is.  My IP as shown on this site is 108.76.177.142  but it isn't on the scan results!

I have a screen shot.  My current network isn't even mentioned (it is buzzoff88).  My old network (which was deleted at the fresh install) was 2wire, but it is deleted!  There is a wii on the network, which my ex set up before we broke up.  I still get Netflix on the wii, associated w/ his main account.  Could he be hacking in on me this way?  He proved to me (word for word) that he is able to monitor conversations in my house, but he told me I'd never find the listening device or whatever it is he is using. And so far, I haven't.

Other than my computer and the wii, I have no idea what the other devices are, at all.  Take that back...we have 2 at&t uverse boxes...that may be part of it.

Ignore the 2nd screenshot of wifi properties, I figured that one out.
Thanks for helping!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:58:14 PM by Jusdewit »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:13:59 AM »
Appears to be IPv6 addresses.

A tool you can use to monitor your wireless network here:  https://www.softperfect.com/products/wifiguard/  You'll need to install it on a wirelessly connected Windows system for it to work properly.

IPv4 and IPv6 scanning reports are a new feature of Home Network Security just recently introduced about a week or so ago.  I agree, lack of more detail is somewhat troubling as without a tool such as wifiguard, clear identification of what is on your network can be harder than it should be.

Run WifiGuard and report back.

SP refers to a Service Pack.  For Win 8, that would be 8.1 Update.

[EDIT:]  Added snip from your attachment above below:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:17:38 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline ky331

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 01:31:03 PM »
I noticed the same thing when I finally updated my avast to the latest version, and ran a Home Network Security scan.   After reading your post, and upon further investigation, I just discovered that (at least for me), the devices identified as "Arris Group, Inc." were the set-top boxes for my cable TV.
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 01:48:34 PM »
Hi mchain-I appreciate your response to me, but alas I am just out of my element when it comes to computer stuff.  I don't even know what a wirelessly connected windows system is, whether I have one, or how to get one if I don't.  Thank you for trying to help, but I guess the best thing for me to do is stop looking at things I don't understand and can't fix even if I wanted to.  My identity isn't worth stealing cuz I'm broke, and if my ex wants to monitor me as I move on without him, so be it.  My computer is taking care of my current needs, and is well protected I think by Avast, so I'm not going to worry about it anymore.  Thank you again!

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »
I would like an answer to this problem because I have a very similar issue and instead of opening a new topic I thought I'd reply to this one.
About a week ago whenever I ran a Network Scan, devices started to appear, at first it told me about devices that I knew about like my router. But a few days ago a new device started appearing, a nameless device with the same manufacturer as my router and a long IPV6 address, which is very similar to the OP. The only real difference is that I'm only getting 1 unknown device where as OP seemed to be getting 2.

My home network is different from the OP in that it is a wired only network. I have just tested to see if I could get rid of this unkown device by unplugging everything from my router apart from my computer and the unknown device still appears. I think that this is a problem with the Network Scan itself, seeing as how avast are updating it to make it show connected devices. I think that the Network Scan is seeing my router as multiple devices.
I would like some confirmation of this from someone involved in development or something.

Thanks.

UPDATE

Just logged in to my router to see if the address of the unknown device has anything to do with the router, apparently its the "IPV6 Link Local Address". I have no idea what that is but it does seem as if the network scan is detecting the router as multiple devices, I could be wrong. Also my router showed that my computer was the only thing connected to it when I checked the connected devices section.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:45:51 PM by ItNoWork »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 05:55:33 PM »
Bump.

Please read my previous post.

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 06:09:46 PM »
Bump.

Please read my previous post.
See if this answers your question or at least gives you an understanding of IPV4 and IPV6
http://mashable.com/2011/02/03/ipv4-ipv6-guide/
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 06:30:16 PM »
To put it really simple:
For "compatibility reasons" devices that support IPV6 also support IPV4.
That means 1 device (e.g. network card) can have a IP address in both IP versions.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 08:30:05 PM »
So the unknown and unnamed device on the network scan is just my routers IPV6 address?
If so, why is the network scan seeing my router as multiple devices?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 08:41:03 PM »
It doesn't.
It sees both IP addresses which is not the same as multiple devices.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 08:50:08 PM »
When the network scan first started showing devices it would only show that there was 1 device connected which was my router, now it is showing that there are 2 devices connected, my router and an unknown nameless device with my routers IPV6 link local address. I understand that the scan is seeing both IP addresses but why is it detecting the IPV6 link local address of my router as a seperate device and not lumping the two addresses together with the router?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:07:19 PM by ItNoWork »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 09:25:02 PM »
Make it easy on yourself.
There is nothing wrong.
Stop worrying.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 03:29:45 PM »
Ok then.

Is there a way in which I can open a bug report for avast, so that they can fix this?
All I can find is a bug bounty but thats to do with security vulnerabilities.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:33:45 PM by ItNoWork »