Author Topic: Automatically switch to SafeZone not working?  (Read 5479 times)

REDACTED

Automatically switch to SafeZone not working?
« on: May 30, 2015, 06:42:15 PM »
Newbie to Avast here.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Dell Inspiron PC.  Windows 8.1, 64 bit.  Almost exclusively use Chrome browser.  I'm very familiar and comfortable with computers (I used to build web sites YEARS ago), but far from a techie.  All this sand box and safe zone stuff is relatively new to me.

The basic issue is this --- I've entered my bank's URL into the appropriate Safe Zone field (and clicked on the "+Add" button).  I have the "Automatically switch to SafeZone....." box checked.   Yet when I open Chrome and click on the link to my bank's website, it does NOT launch the Safe Zone.

Note:  when I launch the Chrome browser from my Taskbar, it automatically launches it in the Avast Sandbox.  Google is my home page, with all the recently visited icons underneath the search box.  When I click on my bank's link, it does NOT launch Safe Zone.

I can MANUALLY launch SafeZone and visit my bank's web site, but I'm all about minimizing clicks.

Any input is appreciated.

UPDATE:  I figured out how to launch Chrome "outside" the sandbox.  Made no difference.  Bank link STILL does NOT open in SafeZone.  NONE of my SafeZone links open in SafeZone.

Further, the "Extensions" settings inside of Chrome also have Avast Online Security and Avast SafePrice enabled.  There is no setting for Avast SafeZone in the Chrome Extensions window.

UPDATE II:  I figured it out.  In the "Extensions" window, you have to go into the "Options" under Avast Online Security.  There you will find a checkbox for Safe Zone.  By default, it is unchecked.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:25:02 PM by AvastNoob2 »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Re: Automatically switch to SafeZone not working?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 01:40:08 AM »
Hi AvastNoob2, welcome to the forum :)

I think you have to change your name. You are not such a noob after all ;)

For everyone else : For the automatic swith to SafeZone in your browser, you need to have :

- Avast Online Security installed.
- SafeZone selected in the Avast Online Security extension.

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:41:49 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 05:19:41 PM »
Hahaha.  Thanks.  So far, so good with Avast!  Except for the "Verification Images" on this forum.  I find I must click "Request another image" 3 or 4 times before I get one I can actually read.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 05:53:16 PM »
Hahaha.  Thanks.  So far, so good with Avast!  Except for the "Verification Images" on this forum.  I find I must click "Request another image" 3 or 4 times before I get one I can actually read.

Answered your other topic relating to "Safe Price" & captcha verification.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline louisab75

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 09:02:24 PM »
Hoping someone can help me with the same problem, but with a different browser.  I don't get a prompt to open the page in safezone or anything.  The only way I can get anything to open in safezone is via the link I added in Avast.

I use Firefox version 38.0.5, but when I go to the installed extensions there is no options button for the Avast extension.  There is for every other extension but all I can do with the Avast one is disable. 

PS: Yes the Captcha is the worst quality I have ever seen on the internet.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 10:34:40 PM »
Hoping someone can help me with the same problem, but with a different browser.  I don't get a prompt to open the page in safezone or anything.  The only way I can get anything to open in safezone is via the link I added in Avast.

I use Firefox version 38.0.5, but when I go to the installed extensions there is no options button for the Avast extension.  There is for every other extension but all I can do with the Avast one is disable. 

PS: Yes the Captcha is the worst quality I have ever seen on the internet.

The safe zone can't be used with a different browser, as the safe zone is completely isolated from your normal desktop. The safe zone has its own special browser based chromium, so you can't use firefox from within the safe zone.

I'm not entirely sure what it is you are trying to do within the safe zone (primarily used when on-line banking/shopping).

The captcha is a necessary anti-spam requirement to try and block spambots, so it has to be difficult to be effective. It is only for your first three posts.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline louisab75

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 10:52:44 PM »
I thought that on your regular browser, if you went to a site that was on the safezone list you would be prompted to use the safezone browser.  That is what isn't happening.  The special browser can be opened from within Avast, but only then. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 12:11:20 AM »
The problem being you/I (as an avast user) have no idea what sites are included on that list, so we don't know if it is a case of not being on the list or a problem of not being warned about using the safezone browser

The safer option would be to start off in the safe browser before connection to the site.

Have you followed the setting suggestions given by Rednose in Reply #1 ?

Offline louisab75

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 07:51:21 AM »
I added it to my list of sites in the program, which I understood was there so that if your site is not covered by the Avast list it will work.

Yes, I have tried following those instructions in the first reply, the problem is that there is no options button for the Avast extension so I can't check or uncheck anything.  The only thing I can do with the extension is disable it.

At the moment all I can do is what you suggest and start off in the safezone extension, but it is rather a hassle to do so since most of the time I travel to shopping sites from links in my email or on other sites.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »
Hi louisab75 :)

You have to change the Avast Online Security settings by clicking its icon.
The screenshots are in Dutch, but I think they are clear enough :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline louisab75

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
Thank you so much.  I have so many little icons on that part of the browser I hadn't even noticed it there.  I was going through the add on list where you normally find an options button. 

I have now altered the settings and tested it with the site I added to my list and the prompt appeared.