Author Topic: Scan running time?  (Read 2471 times)

pulp

Scan running time?
« on: November 03, 2005, 10:03:47 PM »
Hi, I'm just wondering if 1 hour and 27 minutes is about right for a full system scan.  Seems really long to me.  Is the Pro version faster?

galooma

Re: Scan running time?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 10:10:34 PM »
The time taken to scan files is dependent not only on the quantity of files but the settings applied (normal or thorough) and within archives.
The scanning engine is the same for home (free) product as it is for pro , the pro just gives you more functions beyond scanning.

pulp

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 10:36:55 PM »
Very good, thank you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 11:32:20 PM »
As has been mentioned you can limit the sensitivity which will speed the scan. However, bearing in mind it found 42 infected files time should be the least of your concerns until you are completely clean, then you can consider reducing the sensitivity.

I just do a manual, Standard Scan, no archives, weekly as a part of my regular system maintenance. Archives are inert until open and files extracted or executed/run and when that happens Standard Shield should scan them. So I  personally feel scanning archives is wasted processing effort.

You are also scanning a lot of data at 35.7GB so an hour and a half isn't bad. For me I have much less data being scanned, as above and it is about 6GB scanned in 7 minutes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security