Author Topic: SecureLine VPN Auto Install?  (Read 32929 times)

REDACTED

SecureLine VPN Auto Install?
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:30:10 PM »
Is sneaking software onto my machine a new business model for you?

That's the kind of scummy behavior I expect from craphole download sites, not (supposedly) reputable software companies. How about you never do that again?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: SecureLine VPN Auto Install?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 07:30:48 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:20:39 PM »
I already figured out how to get rid of it.

I want to know that you won't do it again.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:39:16 PM »
I want to know that you won't do it again.

lol

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:41:05 PM »
lol

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting too. I'm about to uninstall and add Avast to my list of crapware vendors.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 02:25:00 AM »
lol

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting too. I'm about to uninstall and add Avast to my list of crapware vendors.

The lol was in reference to the 'air of self-importance' of your comment.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 02:25:38 AM »
I got this too. Thankfully I had a good outbound firewall installed (Little Snitch) which let me know this unexpected and unwanted app was trying to make a connection.  Avast has been removed from my machine.  I'm sure it's no big deal to Avast since they weren't making any money off me with their free anti-virus, but they're sure as heck not going to make money off me by sneaking software onto my machine and installing it without my knowledge.  I thought Avast was in the ANTI-malware business.  I don't think I'll be using them again for anything.

Don

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 02:29:23 AM »
lol

The lol was in reference to the 'air of self-importance' of your comment.

I think it's hardly an air of self-importance to expect that an anti-malware company not surreptitiously install software on a user's machine.  That's pretty much rule #1 of anti-malware -- don't install things the user didn't ask for.

Don

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 02:37:28 AM »
avast doesn't install software without the users approval.
So if secure line was installed, you have given permission for it to install.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:39:36 AM by Eddy »

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 04:42:02 AM »
avast doesn't install software without the users approval.
So if secure line was installed, you have given permission for it to install.

incorrect.
my experience, and probably everyone else here, was that this software installed overnight without any warning from avast, opening avast or clicking any "okay" dialogue in avast.

if you mean that years ago, when we first installed and agreed to the TOC, there was fine print on the 18th page that said avast has the right to install additional software... then fine, jokes on us, you got us....
however, I think its a stretch to say that this qualifies as us purposefully downloading the application.

its nice to see the mods rub it in our face though instead of understanding the users frustration.

if only there was software that could prevent unwanted software from being installed in the background without our knowledge.....

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »
This "freemium" business model is used by Avast for more than a decade, so the answer is no,
it's nothing new.

That's the kind of scummy behavior I expect from craphole download sites, not (supposedly) reputable
software companies. How about you never do that again?
I'm sorry, but as this is an essential part of the company business strategy, it will for sure happen again.

Every time we add a new component to Avast Mac Security (no matter whether paid or not), it will not only
be part of the installation, but also part of the program update. For paid components You will however not
be forced to use them and always have the possibility to uninstall them, if you wish.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 12:04:56 PM »
This "freemium" business model is used by Avast for more than a decade, so the answer is no,
it's nothing new.

That's the kind of scummy behavior I expect from craphole download sites, not (supposedly) reputable
software companies. How about you never do that again?
I'm sorry, but as this is an essential part of the company business strategy, it will for sure happen again.

Every time we add a new component to Avast Mac Security (no matter whether paid or not), it will not only
be part of the installation, but also part of the program update. For paid components You will however not
be forced to use them and always have the possibility to uninstall them, if you wish.

And here I thought you were a reputable company. Your software has been removed from my machine. I'll be sure to share my experience every chance I get.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 12:06:43 PM »
avast is a reputable company.
They can't help it if users don't know things.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 05:16:18 AM »
avast is a reputable company.
They can't help it if users don't know things.

I'm not sure whether to call that comment ignorant or arrogant. Not knowing that a piece of software has downloaded, installed and launched a completely separate piece of software in the background without providing the user with any form of option is not what a rational person should consider to be the user's fault. You don't know what you don't know. Now that I know Avast is sneaking in separate apps AND LAUNCHING THEM without any action on my part, I know that Avast is no longer reputable. I too will gladly share my thoughts on this matter with others. This is not good business for a self-proclaimed anti-malware company.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 05:30:41 AM »
avast is not sneaking in anything, they are honest and open about it.