Author Topic: SecureLine VPN Auto Install?  (Read 32937 times)

REDACTED

Re: SecureLine VPN Auto Install?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 01:16:32 PM »
avast is a reputable company.
They can't help it if users don't know things.
avast is not sneaking in anything, they are honest and open about it.

Wow. Know why users don't know things? Your honest and open company installed it without asking.

Your break with reality is amazing.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 02:28:08 PM »
Hi,

I hear the frustration expressed here but I do feel it's being a bit harsh.  Avast has an AV security product that is made up of different modules.  The VPN is another module in the whole ecosystem of the software package.  If you see it from that angle then I hope you can understand what our intent was.  It certainly is not to sneak anything past our users.  The icon is prominently placed on the top menu bar and it's easy to uninstall.  No one is required to use or purchase the module at all.

Any software that is installed needs to do updates from time to time and part of that is to install new features that the software makers believe will add value to their end users.  This case is no different.  We've gotten plenty of requests to offer a VPN and it's a legitimate security feature/tool.  We don't log users behaviour and our intent is to give you a tool to stay private online.

So, we'll certainly consider the feedback and try to do better in the future.

Thanks,

Davidek

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 06:13:42 PM »
It is not my company, nor do I work for avast.

Users can read about new things on avast's website (blog) as well as here on the webboard.
They are (exceptions prohibited) not forced to install a update, it is their own choice.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 11:12:52 PM »
Hi,

I hear the frustration expressed here but I do feel it's being a bit harsh.  Avast has an AV security product that is made up of different modules.  The VPN is another module in the whole ecosystem of the software package.  If you see it from that angle then I hope you can understand what our intent was.  It certainly is not to sneak anything past our users.  The icon is prominently placed on the top menu bar and it's easy to uninstall.  No one is required to use or purchase the module at all.

Any software that is installed needs to do updates from time to time and part of that is to install new features that the software makers believe will add value to their end users.  This case is no different.  We've gotten plenty of requests to offer a VPN and it's a legitimate security feature/tool.  We don't log users behaviour and our intent is to give you a tool to stay private online.

So, we'll certainly consider the feedback and try to do better in the future.

Thanks,

Davidek

I used to pay for you product. I will not be doing so again. I installed an antivirus product, nothing else. Installing additional software without notification or permission is not acceptable behavior for a reputable company.

That's the same crap Bonzi Buddy pulls. Do you like the company you're keeping?

It is not my company, nor do I work for avast.

Users can read about new things on avast's website (blog) as well as here on the webboard.
They are (exceptions prohibited) not forced to install a update, it is their own choice.

Your apologetics need work. I shouldn't have to follow Avast's blog to know that they're going to install something on my computer. It's also worth pointing out that the default behavior is to auto-update. Your assertion that we had a choice in the matter has more holes than a colander.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:15:52 PM by somehacker »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 11:54:21 PM »
I installed an antivirus product, nothing else.
You are wrong.
You installed a security product, not just a anti-virus product.
Nowadays there is no such thing as a anti-virus product anymore.
Installing additional software without notification or permission is not acceptable behavior for a reputable company.
It is not additional software, it is part of the security package that you have chosen to install.
avast did notify the users.
Only thing the users have to do is reading the changes on the avast website and/or on this webboard.
By installing the software you agreed with the terms/license conditions, that means you have given permission.
Users have the option to disable automatic updates.
It's also worth pointing out that the default behavior is to auto-update.
Ofcourse the default is auto-update.
It will make sure the user has the latest/best protection there is without having to worry about it.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 12:24:27 AM »
I installed an antivirus product, nothing else.
You are wrong.
You installed a security product, not just a anti-virus product.
Nowadays there is no such thing as a anti-virus product anymore.
Installing additional software without notification or permission is not acceptable behavior for a reputable company.
It is not additional software, it is part of the security package that you have chosen to install.
avast did notify the users.
Only thing the users have to do is reading the changes on the avast website and/or on this webboard.
By installing the software you agreed with the terms/license conditions, that means you have given permission.
Users have the option to disable automatic updates.
It's also worth pointing out that the default behavior is to auto-update.
Ofcourse the default is auto-update.
It will make sure the user has the latest/best protection there is without having to worry about it.

That's funny, when I installed the software it was called Virus Protection, not Avast kitchen sink. There are tons of anti-virus only products. Making things up doesn't make you correct.

It is most certainly additional software. It's even a separate application.

EVERY other piece of software I have notifies me when it changes features or wants to install something new. NONE of them make me read their blog to find out about updates.

Seriously, who reads T&C? Doesn't matter anyway, because putting something in the T&C doesn't make it good behavior.

Updates are good. Teaching users that they can't trust update channels is bad. Get your head straight and stop defending bad behavior.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out the huge number of views on the uninstall thread (~3500 at time of edit). It's obvious that this was unwelcome. How's that sinking ship of an argument feel?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:26:08 AM by somehacker »

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 02:33:47 AM »
I installed avast to prevent software I don´t want to be installed on my mac. Discovering that you yourself – without asking me – do what I installed your software to prevent, takes away all your credibility. So I will remove your products. And encourage everyone else to do the same.

No-one will trust a security company that violates the security they claim to protect.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 03:16:49 AM »
I'm in the same boat with my mac. Came down via an auto update with no user consent, no asking for my mac password, nothing.

I wouldn't have minded if it said avast is going to install this, hence giving me an option to either agree or opt out then no issues, should have known better though when the big scandal hit with the safe price and toolbar stuff. Since it hadn't I have also uninstalled avast from my mac and installed another a/v onto it.

I will also be telling everyone to avoid avast like the plague on both windows and mac, don't get me wrong awhile back you used to be good, granted you could kill the popups and voices, but now you have just become like AVG. Over bloated and trying to pass on other services to users when all they want is a good free antivirus. Yes I understand you have to make money and or inform users of your premium product (s) but seriously it should be the users choice.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 08:42:48 AM »
I've used Avast for years, will continue to do so, but, this caused a heap of trouble for me.

I was installing a separate VPN client (as I believe it is a good idea) just the other day, and was installing lots of stuff from CNET and the likes as I'm setting up a new Mac. It took me a while to figure out (1) what Secureline VPN was and (2) Who installed it (it wasn't me, and I couldn't believe for sure it was Avast - I figured it could be that my new VPN provider worked with Avast or that it was pure malware). And then how to remove it, I just quit it and dragged it to the trash - I hope that's enough.

Anyway, what's wrong with giving the users a choice? A clear message saying we offer a 7 day trial of our new blablabla and then install if the user accepts would have sufficed.

Like I said, a VPN is a good idea, but it also depends on whether you trust your provider or not. Avast so far hasn't showed why they should be trusted above anyone else.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 10:23:38 AM »
I've used Avast for years, will continue to do so, but, this caused a heap of trouble for me.

I was installing a separate VPN client (as I believe it is a good idea) just the other day, and was installing lots of stuff from CNET and the likes as I'm setting up a new Mac. It took me a while to figure out (1) what Secureline VPN was and (2) Who installed it (it wasn't me, and I couldn't believe for sure it was Avast - I figured it could be that my new VPN provider worked with Avast or that it was pure malware). And then how to remove it, I just quit it and dragged it to the trash - I hope that's enough.

Anyway, what's wrong with giving the users a choice? A clear message saying we offer a 7 day trial of our new blablabla and then install if the user accepts would have sufficed.

Like I said, a VPN is a good idea, but it also depends on whether you trust your provider or not. Avast so far hasn't showed why they should be trusted above anyone else.

That's not the correct was to uninstall it, there's a uninstall option from inside the Secureline app in the top menu, there are other important tidbits left in the system besides the .app.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 05:52:28 PM »
There are tons of anti-virus only products. Making things up doesn't make you correct.
No there are not. Viruses are very rare nowadays. anti-virus is a name from the old days and is nowadays basically a misnomer. Tools like avast detect a lot more than just viruses. e.g. Trojans, Browser Hijackers, Pup's etc. I dare to bet you can't even name one true anti-virus product that nowadays exist.
It is most certainly additional software. It's even a separate application.
As I said, it is a security package.
I'd also like to point out the huge number of views on the uninstall thread (~3500 at time of edit).
3500 views is not the same as 3500 people. People who don't have a problem with it normally don't post it. If the did it would be at least several millions of people saying they are happy with it.
Avast so far hasn't showed why they should be trusted above anyone else.
Get the huge clue. avast is the largest in this field of expertise.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 01:24:21 AM »
[I dare to bet you can't even name one true anti-virus product that nowadays exist.
Sophos Endpoint AV. McAfee AV. Symantec AV. Eset NOD32. Get out of fantasy land and stop acting like you know what you're talking about.

As I said, it is a security package.
Saying it a second time isn't much of a refutation. It's like you're repeating yourself because you don't want to listen to the truth.

If the did it would be at least several millions of people saying they are happy with it.
What did I tell you about making things up?

Get the huge clue. avast is the largest in this field of expertise.
Is that field installing things without asking? Behaving like a drive by downloader?

EDIT:
I just found out Avast man in the middles all of your SSL traffic if you don't disable the scan secured connection option in webshield. Why should I trust a "security package" to spy on my online bank account? My medical records? You're out of your mind if you can't see how big of a security problem that is.

How can you be defending this company?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:31:05 AM by somehacker »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 03:21:33 AM »
I just found out Avast man in the middles all of your SSL traffic if you don't disable the scan secured connection option in webshield. Why should I trust a "security package" to spy on my online bank account? My medical records? You're out of your mind if you can't see how big of a security problem that is.

Well, if the data shall be checked by the AV, they must be "spied" by the AV. And I would really like to know, where the "security problem" is (and why it is at the same time not a security problem, that your browser and operating system "spies" your bank account). If you don't trust Avast, then do not install it. Because at the moment you install Avast, it has access to any data on your machine regardless wheter HTTPS scanning is on or off...

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 03:45:24 AM »
Well, if the data shall be checked by the AV, they must be "spied" by the AV. And I would really like to know, where the "security problem" is (and why it is at the same time not a security problem, that your browser and operating system "spies" your bank account). If you don't trust Avast, then do not install it. Because at the moment you install Avast, it has access to any data on your machine regardless wheter HTTPS scanning is on or off...

I like the use of superfluous quotes to try to discredit me. Arguments work better when you use sources or logic instead of cheap tricks.

If all you're watching for is unwanted software, you don't need to spy on my SSL connections in my browser. You can get everything you need through normal system monitoring.

I uninstalled all of your products when you installed SecureLine without my permission. Seeing as you look official, why the hell did your company think it was okay to do that?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 03:47:11 AM »
Sophos Endpoint AV. McAfee AV. Symantec AV. Eset NOD32
Welcome to the real world. Neither of them is a plain anti-virus product. You should start with learning the differences between all kinds of malware. A virus is just one form of them. Protection against only viruses is like having no protection at all. As I said "anti-virus" is a name from the old days. It is still being used to avoid confusion amongst the users. A better name nowadays would be "anti-malware" or "anti-thread(s)".
because you don't want to listen to the truth.
The truth is that you have a lack of knowledge. Here is a good place to start for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware
Is that field installing things without asking?
That is the freemium business model that the avast staff thinks will bring in the most revenue. It is used for many years by many (small/medium/large) companies worldwide. And no not everyone is happy with this business model, including people from avast. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=169059.msg1225615#msg1225615