Author Topic: Avast is not good in detecting Trojans?  (Read 26998 times)

Culpeper

Re: Avast is not good in detecting Trojans?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2005, 03:18:06 AM »
Well Technical, I don't include you in this category.  You go above and beyond the call of duty to keep people fully informed on security issues and someone like yourself would need to install and test various platforms to stay informed.  I'm only referring to the average lay users. ;)
Thanks Culpeper. Sorry if I misunderstood your first post.
I do agree that average users shouldn't ever think on having that in the same computer.
By the way, wasn't you using NOD32?  ::)

No, I'm in the lonely world of beta testing for Computer Associates.  Actually, I'm not doing it anymore but I still have about 18 months of updates and signature file downloads I can use.  That is on my XP machine.  Computer Associates is going through some type of weird transition what with using Zone Alarm, Pest Control and such not to mention they bought out Tiny Firewall.  The other machine has Suse Linux and there isn't much to worry about there as far as AV, spyware, and such.  Just Linux based iptables firewall and simple AV scanner is about all one needs for security.  Actually, Linux is very secure out of the box.  The bad guys prefer easier targets like Windows.

AvastForever

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2005, 04:16:54 AM »
What 6 backup scanners you use?
1. AVG
2. AntiVir
3. ClamWin
4. BitDefender
5. F-Prot DOS
6. NAV (old standalone on-demand scanner)

So it will be aright for me to have the first 5 on my computer?

Culpeper

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2005, 04:33:11 AM »
I think if you install all those av programs on your machine you are going to be greatly disappointed with the outcome.  Unless you are above novice level on windows OS.  I may have missed something here but is there a reason why you want so many different scanners on one machine?

MFB

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2005, 04:44:11 AM »
What 6 backup scanners you use?
1. AVG
2. AntiVir
3. ClamWin
4. BitDefender
5. F-Prot DOS
6. NAV (old standalone on-demand scanner)

So it will be aright for me to have the first 5 on my computer?

Its best for you just have just one resident Anti virus and one back up scanner cause having a whole lot of yum wouldn't be good on the computer.  This is Tech's way of keeping safe from Viruses, but not everyone can have a 6 different scanners and still have a peaceful computer.   ;)

AvastForever

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2005, 04:45:39 AM »
I think if you install all those av programs on your machine you are going to be greatly disappointed with the outcome.  Unless you are above novice level on windows OS.  I may have missed something here but is there a reason why you want so many different scanners on one machine?

I heard that not one Antivirus catch everything. Right now i only Running Avast with resident scanner and AntiVir without the resident scanner. And a Anti-Torjan called Ewido and only for a on-demand scanner.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 04:47:54 AM by AvastForever »

MFB

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2005, 04:59:05 AM »
With those three on your PC, you should be fine.   8)

AvastForever

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2005, 05:10:41 AM »
With those three on your PC, you should be fine.   8)

Thanks, do you know which one is better to have as a backup, AVG or AntiVir? I like AntiVir but i want to know if AVG is better.

MFB

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2005, 05:35:40 AM »
Just stick with Anti Vir and you should be fine.  Haven't been with AVG for a while now, but Anti Vir is good enough.   :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2005, 01:10:50 PM »
This is Tech's way of keeping safe from Viruses, but not everyone can have a 6 different scanners and still have a peaceful computer.   ;)
Sure. But I don't keep me safe with them. My protection is avast, the only resident.
The others are for test purposes, backup scanner, learning, features comparison to make suggestions to avast!, etc.
For sure, don't have all of them for security reasons.

As backup scanner, an order for me would be:
1. ClamWin
2. AntiVir
3. BitDefender
4. AVG
5. F-Prot DOS

Taking in account the hability of update and the detection (at least for me).
The best things in life are free.

AvastForever

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2005, 11:08:11 PM »
This is Tech's way of keeping safe from Viruses, but not everyone can have a 6 different scanners and still have a peaceful computer.   ;)
Sure. But I don't keep me safe with them. My protection is avast, the only resident.
The others are for test purposes, backup scanner, learning, features comparison to make suggestions to avast!, etc.
For sure, don't have all of them for security reasons.

As backup scanner, an order for me would be:
1. ClamWin
2. AntiVir
3. BitDefender
4. AVG
5. F-Prot DOS

Taking in account the hability of update and the detection (at least for me).

How about having F-Prot Dos on my system? I only have AntiVir as a backup, Ewido just detects Trojans and stuff. And whats more effective to have Web Shield in Normal or High? and what happends if i dont use intelligent stream scanning of the Web shield?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 11:14:56 PM by AvastForever »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2005, 12:50:48 AM »
How about having F-Prot Dos on my system?
I heard a lot about F-Prot... for me, after all this time, don't worth to have it as a backup scanner. Difficult to update (need a third party) and detects nothing, even when I'm absolutely sure about the infection.

AvastForever

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2005, 02:28:21 AM »
How about having F-Prot Dos on my system?
I heard a lot about F-Prot... for me, after all this time, don't worth to have it as a backup scanner. Difficult to update (need a third party) and detects nothing, even when I'm absolutely sure about the infection.

Thanks. and And whats more effective to have Web Shield in Normal or High? and what happends if i dont use intelligent stream scanning of the Web shield?

Culpeper

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2005, 03:51:35 AM »
My experience with F-Prot for DOS has been very good. It's a command line scanner so you only need an internet connection and an open DOS command prompt to udpate and scan.  Same thing with the F-Prot Linux version.  Also, F-Prot for DOS is great for Win98 and Avast! since Avast doesn't scan the boot sector on boot up and F-Prot for DOS will.  All you need is a batch file to scan the boot sector and root directory with F-Prot on startup and Avast! runs after that in Windows GUI.  Worked great for me when I was using Avast! with Win98.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2005, 11:55:48 AM »
Thanks. and And whats more effective to have Web Shield in Normal or High? and what happends if i dont use intelligent stream scanning of the Web shield?
If you search intelligent stream in the board you'll find something.
You can use full WebShield power clicking 'Control' in my signature and using AEC option to it.