Author Topic: US-based Support?  (Read 4112 times)

Offline ernieg92

US-based Support?
« on: June 19, 2015, 07:35:38 PM »
Is there no US-based support for Avast?  I realize it's a Czech company but, certainly for paying customers, do they not have US-based (US hours) support?  Every major hardware/software manufactuer has support hours for most major markets.  I opened a ticket 10AM Thursday  (US) and got a reply at 3AM Friday (for a ticket marked "critical" issue).  Of course there were no answers, just questions.  By the time I got my reply together (8AM), it was already near the end of the day.  With the time zone difference, that means one opportunity a day to solve a problem.  Very frustrating!

This is some great software; just wish I had know if there were issues it'd be a slow fix time.   :(

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: US-based Support?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 07:51:15 PM »
This webboard is open 24/7
https://support.avast.com is open 24/7
Of course there were no answers, just questions.
That means you haven't provided relevant details in order for avast to give a answer.
Very frustrating!
Frustrating is that people nowadays doesn't seem to have patience.
Don't forget that avast support is done by real people, not robots.
Don't forget that the internet is worldwide and not bound to a country/region.

avast is trying to handle all tickets within 10 business days.
As has been mentioned a huge amount of times already on this webboard.

Offline ernieg92

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 10:38:50 PM »
Thank you, Eddy.  I don't think you quite got the gist of my post.....though I will (begrudgingly) admit I probably began to rant a bit.......

I understand avast supports a worldwide community.  But so does McAfee, Norton, AVG, etc. and they all have US-based support (along with Europe-based, Asia-based, etc.) and support hours for the applicable region.  If you're going to offer a premium service (charge money), there is a bit of an expectation that customer service is included.

As to your reply on patience, I am very patient.  But a company shouldn't offer (in the ticketing system) a "critical issue" option where you state you will work on it quickly (though I'll admit that is very ambiguous).  I spent several hours searching these boards (and Google in general) trying to find the solution to my issue.  Since I could not find anything close to it, I figured I had a unique bug and felt a trouble ticket was best.  In hindsight, I probably should have posted my issue anyways on the outside chance that someone did have the issue but overcame it quickly enough a post was never made.

I participate in multiple open source communities and understand/appreciate those communities and the support received there (I have never opened a ticket for avast's free anti-virus, for example--only worked through community).  However, I refer back to my original argument that a premium product should come with some level of premium support.

Thanks for your feedback.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 03:11:36 AM »
If you're going to offer a premium service (charge money), there is a bit of an expectation that customer service is included.
avast isn't charging anything for the support.
And it doesn't matter if you use a free avast product or a paid one.
Support is always free 24/7.
But a company shouldn't offer (in the ticketing system) a "critical issue" option where you state you will work on it quickly (though I'll admit that is very ambiguous).
What/when is something critical?
In my opinion it is in the eyes of the beholder.
About every user says "Hé I have a problem and it is a critical one".
I say critical is when you die if no help is provided soon.
A problem with a system/software is never critical.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 03:17:30 AM »
Hi ernieg92 :)

But we still don't know what your problem is ( was )  ;)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premier Beta + AMS for iOS Beta WinPatrol Plus Unchecky MCShield  HOSTS File: MVPS + MDL
On Demand: MBAM SUMo
Backup: Win 7 Image
Proxy: ASL VPN's Socks 5 Tor

Offline ernieg92

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 06:02:32 PM »
If you're going to offer a premium service (charge money), there is a bit of an expectation that customer service is included.
avast isn't charging anything for the support.
And it doesn't matter if you use a free avast product or a paid one.
Support is always free 24/7.
Sorry, Eddy, I don't think you get it.  I'm not going to belabour the point.  Thanks, though.

But a company shouldn't offer (in the ticketing system) a "critical issue" option where you state you will work on it quickly (though I'll admit that is very ambiguous).
What/when is something critical?
In my opinion it is in the eyes of the beholder.
About every user says "Hé I have a problem and it is a critical one".
I say critical is when you die if no help is provided soon.
A problem with a system/software is never critical.

Wow.  That's a bit of a leap.  Yes, someone dying is critical.  However, system/software issues CAN be critical if they don't perform as intended and can cause loss to the user.  Look at any standard SLA/MOU.

This has been my first experience with avast support (both developer and community).  Didn't get what I expected, lesson learned.  End of discussion.  Thanks for trying.

Offline ernieg92

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »
Hi ernieg92 :)

But we still don't know what your problem is ( was )  ;)

Greetz, Red.

Sorry, I did post it yesterday.  Just didn't mention it in my philosophical posts with Eddy.  If you may have any insight:   https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=172532.0