Author Topic: Problems with "Password Check" feature  (Read 2221 times)

REDACTED

Problems with "Password Check" feature
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:59:43 PM »
I have spent quite some time searching the web and this forum and can't seem to find a solution.

I'm running Mobile Security 4.0.7884, Anti-Theft 3.0.7118, on a rooted stock ROM Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4.4).  I've installed the rooted version of Anti-Theft and created an account on my.avast.com.  From the web portal, nearly every feature works.  However, the "Password Check" feature does not work from the device. 

For example, with each block checked in that option: (Advanced Settings -> Password Check):
1. I turn on screen.
2. Enter pattern incorrectly 3 times.  (I also switched to password security, to see if avast is limited to passwords--no difference.)
3. No picture, no SMS sent.
4. Web portal does not mark phone LOST.

I've also tried using the "Send test SMS" and "Simulate theft event" options from the menu.  Each time it returns the following:
SMS 1 Status:
Error: 0

Any advice greatly appreciated!

REDACTED

Re: Problems with "Password Check" feature [SOLVED]
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
Problem solved.  On the outside chance someone else has similar issues, here is the resolution.

I'm running Mobile Security 4.0.7884, Anti-Theft 3.0.7118, on a rooted stock ROM Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4.4).  I've installed the rooted version of Anti-Theft and created an account on my.avast.com.  From the web portal, nearly every feature works.  However, the "Password Check" feature does not work from the device. 

For example, with each block checked in that option: (Advanced Settings -> Password Check):
1. I turn on screen.
2. Enter pattern incorrectly 3 times.  (I also switched to password security, to see if avast is limited to passwords--no difference.)
3. No picture, no SMS sent.
4. Web portal does not mark phone LOST.
Since I (and probably most people using this product) are not in the habit of breaking into phones, I was not aware of what actually triggers an Android "password violation" notification. Experienced developers are probably aware, but that was hard information for me to find.  Tech support probably should have verified I was actually committing a password violation during my testing.

Anyways, the Password Check feature will invoke a password violation only under the following conditions:
  • The PIN/gesture entered was at least 4 numbers/dots.
  • Said PIN/gesture was entered incorrectly four (4) times. On some security software, the theft alert is triggered with three incorrect attempts. Five incorrect will invoke Android's built-in lockout feature (30 seconds).

I've also tried using the "Send test SMS" and "Simulate theft event" options from the menu.  Each time it returns the following:
SMS 1 Status:
Error: 0
This was a fairly simple solution (again, surprised it's not in an FAQ somewhere).  Verizon does not allow binary SMS, so you have to UNcheck the Android 4.4 support feature.  Works like a champ after that.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:40:31 PM by ernieg92 »