Author Topic: Question; Transfering Settings Between New Installs and Profiles  (Read 2625 times)

REDACTED

Hi there; Just got my father to buy this, and noticed after setting it up on one computer; there was no obvious way to transfer those settings to another machine; also user profile!

That would mean that every time his computer changes, or reinstall is required for what ever reason;
one would have to re set up all copies and users with all settings (sounds, scans, settings, passowrds, notifications...)

Is there a way, even a manual way, to copy these between computers?

Also I was planning to have 10 copies for the monastery we are at and it would be a pain to set them all up on all users!

Once would be great.

Thanks for the help
Monk Kassapa

:D

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
Re: Question; Transfering Settings Between New Installs and Profiles
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 02:59:31 PM »
Hi mkdigital, welcome to the forum :)

You can choose :

1 ) Avast - Settings - General - ( scroll down ) Back up settings / Restore settings

2 ) Or : Avast - Account - ( Online ) Device - I ( Info ) - Settings - Back up settings / Restore settings

3 ) Or : https://my.avast.com  and see 2.

Greetz, Red.

Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 03:15:14 AM »
Thanks for your post Red; I am not around the machines with it on at the moment.

Though I did do the #1 as mentioned. And oddly I found that it didn't copy the profiles in total though only parital.

Should this copy all of the settings? And is there away to apply all settings to each profile and computer with out online panel?

Thanks for your help!

Kind Regards
MK

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 01:32:58 PM »
Though I did do the #1 as mentioned. And oddly I found that it didn't copy the profiles in total though only parital.

Should this copy all of the settings?

It should back up all the settings, at least from the Avast components you select.
Which settings are not backed up, according to you ?

And is there away to apply all settings to each profile and computer with out online panel?

The settings backup is stored as an avast! config file in the Documents folder ( by default ).
You can put the file on an USB stick :)

Greetz, Red.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 02:49:11 PM »
Thanks again Red; very kind for your help!

When I tried it; I had gone through all the settings panel where you turn off popups, configure updates and all the settings in there.
And when I moved between users; or installed on another machine; the backup function / when restored did not include these and they had to be manual set (on each user and machine!).

I will check this out when I get a chance, and compare the config file as mentioned with the one I exported on my fathers machine. Could it be beacause it was on a standard user rather then admin account; does the program need to be run as administrator for this to work? Just thoughts.

Extra Great,
MK

P.S I just found the config file from his machine; though code is not in readable language in a txt editor, not sure what I could do to view the settings that are in this file.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:07:25 PM by mkdigital »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 03:30:59 PM »
Could it be beacause it was on a standard user rather then admin account; does the program need to be run as administrator for this to work?

With an avast! config file made on an Administrator account it will definitely work.
Made on a Standard account I am not sure :-\

Greetz, Red.

( Edit reason : Misunderstood the question )
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:27:19 PM by Rednose »