Author Topic: Restoring Win2K Installation w/Avast on it.  (Read 3977 times)

Yamaki

Restoring Win2K Installation w/Avast on it.
« on: November 05, 2005, 09:28:46 PM »
Okay, so I had a problem that I posted here a few months ago. My computer (Win2k Pro) couldn't boot because I had installed Avast when I already had Norton AV installed and operating.

I have just moved the hard disk from that computer into this Windows XP Pro box, and I would like to know how to completely uninstall Avast, registry entries and all from the Win2K Installation.

Thanks!

-Yamaki

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Restoring Win2K Installation w/Avast on it.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 12:49:50 PM »
I have just moved the hard disk from that computer into this Windows XP Pro box, and I would like to know how to completely uninstall Avast, registry entries and all from the Win2K Installation.

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot

If you really want to be sure of a complete registry cleaning, could be useful one of these Registry cleaning applications:
RegClean for Windows 98 (but works on XP)
BeClean Specially the Registry Cleaning feature
But the best, you can make a download for try, is PowerTools. Very powerful registry power tools, with lots of extra options. Unfortunately, it's a shareware. You can run it before the expiration time and get rid from the previous antivirus application. You can choose an option for backup of the removed itens.
The best things in life are free.

Yamaki

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 07:36:27 PM »
I tried to uninstall Avast using the remove utility. It removed both the copy that were on my XP installation and my win2k installation. I transfered the hard disk back over to the main computer and it STILL doesn't boot! I'm getting a hal.dll error now -_-;;.

Please help! This is very frustrating!

-Yamaki

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 07:53:51 PM »
I tried to uninstall Avast using the remove utility. It removed both the copy that were on my XP installation and my win2k installation.
Did you uninstall through Control Panel first?

I transfered the hard disk back over to the main computer and it STILL doesn't boot! I'm getting a hal.dll error now -_-;;.
Do you have a dual boot system, did you install avast! on both?
Did you have an image of your system? Hal.dll is one necessary file at boot but avast! won't ever remove or touch it...

Yamaki

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 08:03:18 PM »
I tried to uninstall Avast using the remove utility. It removed both the copy that were on my XP installation and my win2k installation.
Did you uninstall through Control Panel first?

I transfered the hard disk back over to the main computer and it STILL doesn't boot! I'm getting a hal.dll error now -_-;;.
Do you have a dual boot system, did you install avast! on both?
Did you have an image of your system? Hal.dll is one necessary file at boot but avast! won't ever remove or touch it...

I didn't uninstall through CP first, because that would mess with my WinXP installation. The system is not dual-boot. The Win2k drive is from a seperate PC that could not boot.

-Yamaki

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 08:20:42 PM »
I didn't uninstall through CP first, because that would mess with my WinXP installation.
Sorry. This is what we can see in the webpage for uninstallation. Control Panel is always the first.
Why would it mess XP?

The system is not dual-boot. The Win2k drive is from a seperate PC that could not boot.
I see. So, you put two HD together to repair the Win2k one...?
Hal.dll can't be copied from one to another due to different versions.
The better would be trying to repair the 2k without as slave HD but, if you can't, you could put them together just to copy files, nothing more...
Wouldn't it better to overinstall Win2k in the original computer?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 08:23:42 PM »
Effectively you wouldn't have been able to uninstall the w2k version of avast whilst it was on a different system on a secondary drive, because the windows registry of the w2k drive can't be made to be active to enable an uninstall of avast on that drive.

Sorry if that isn't clear, that is why the uninstaller or add remove programs would remove the avast on the primary drive.

Even registry editors wouldn't be able to do much as they would only be looking at the active windows XP Pro registry. The secondary drive is to all intents and purposes a data drive (the w2k os isn't live, just data files), so I don't know if it is possible to manually edit the registry hives even if you knew were they were located.

Probably the only way would have been if you had an image of the hdd/partition (prior to the installation of avast) that you could have restored either on the original system or the host system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 08:29:37 PM »
I don't know if it is possible to manually edit the registry hives even if you knew were they were located.
Yes, special software applications do that. I can't find any freeware anyway.
They edit the hiv files of NT Registry.