Author Topic: HTTPS Scanning Prevents SSL sites from working  (Read 3651 times)

REDACTED

HTTPS Scanning Prevents SSL sites from working
« on: June 26, 2015, 04:46:19 PM »
If I leave HTTPS Scanning turned on sites with SSL do not load.  Not sure if this is a bug or if it's an issue with IE11.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: HTTPS Scanning Prevents SSL sites from working
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 02:28:11 AM »
HTTPS Scanning works by inserting a certificate in your browser to allow the secure traffic to be intercepted and scanned.  Some sites might not work well with this method, but its designed in a way that should be transparent to the site you are visiting. 

Site <>Avast Engine <>Browser   The connection between the site and the engine is encrypted and so too is the connection between the browser and the engine.

To test if this is the cause of your issue with a site, disable the web shield and then close and relaunch the browser. You should see the site's SSL Certificate instead of the one from the web shield
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 04:41:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply Mac.  I figured out the issue was I had previously uninstalled AVG CloudCare from my system and it had left behind their CA.  So when I was going to https sites, it was still looking for the AVG certificate.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 11:11:29 PM »
Yep that would do it. Not all remove their Certificate as cleanly as avast does when you turn off the protection.

Cheers,
Mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay