Author Topic: Question about files that Avast was Unable to Scan  (Read 8820 times)

REDACTED

Question about files that Avast was Unable to Scan
« on: June 28, 2015, 06:45:46 AM »
Hi. I just installed Avast Mac Security for the first time and ran a manual Full System Scan.

The results listed "Unable to scan: 223"

Is there a way to see a list of those unscannable files? Is there any way to find out why Avast couldn't scan them?

Thanks.

REDACTED

Re: Question about files that Avast was Unable to Scan
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 07:19:08 PM »
Eddy, thanks. That link explains why some files can't be scanned and that is helpful information.

However, I'm still wondering if there is a way for Avast to list the files that it couldn't scan. Is there a way to do that? If not, I think such a feature should be added to Avast.

Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:20:12 PM »
Depending on your settings, the log file may be able to show them.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:16:20 PM »
Do you know specifically which settings I need to change? I just went through all the settings and Preferences and I don't see a setting for showing the names of unscannable files. Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 11:25:43 PM »
Yes it would be useful to identify the unscanned files. The reason is this, Yesterday I got a virus which was not found by Avast but a notification from Safari said a virus downloaded. I closed the MacBook down and restarted it. Closed off airport and ran a full scan.
The Avast scan found the Trojan virus as ‘cedrick 'nitch' collomb PDF’ infected file - nothing I downloaded deliberately.
Now the previous scan the day before was clear but had 12 unscanned files  now after the infection and even though Avast removed and deleted the Trojan virus I now have 13 unscanned files which seems very odd to me and so I would like to check what it is or what are the13 unscanned files . So how do we do this?

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 02:39:24 AM »
Yes it would be useful to identify the unscanned files. The reason is this, Yesterday I got a virus which was not found by Avast but a notification from Safari said a virus downloaded. I closed the MacBook down and restarted it. Closed off airport and ran a full scan.
The Avast scan found the Trojan virus as ‘cedrick 'nitch' collomb PDF’ infected file - nothing I downloaded deliberately.
Now the previous scan the day before was clear but had 12 unscanned files  now after the infection and even though Avast removed and deleted the Trojan virus I now have 13 unscanned files which seems very odd to me and so I would like to check what it is or what are the13 unscanned files . So how do we do this?

Cedrick 'Nitch' Collomb is the name of the author of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlocker , a Windows program that contains no malware.
So you downloaded a PDF with his name, but what would be interesting to know, malwarewise, would be the name of the trojan, not the filename.

If you want to see what items weren't scanned just right click on the report window list and select 'Non-scanned'. There are no settings that govern what the logs show or not, just use the right-click menu.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 02:47:28 AM by specimen9999 »