Author Topic: Desktop DEAD for now . . .  (Read 2361 times)

REDACTED

Desktop DEAD for now . . .
« on: June 28, 2015, 05:42:18 PM »
Greetings from TEXAS,

A series of very strange happenings on my desktop and now some very unusual things are occurring on my laptop.  This one is still working while the Desktop is OFF until further notice.

Full details are too lengthy, so just to give you some clues:

Yesterday my DkTp would not allow me to run Malwarebytes Antimalware's Chameleon with this message, "Windows cannot find the mbam-chameleon.pif file" giving the location on my H/D.

I looked and found said file.  The extension did not show so attempted to 'rename' that file, Windows error window telling me that file did not exist and could not be renamed.

There have also been several times that the system would not boot, did the F8 selecting "Safe Mode" establishing operations and opening a program, not on the web, then shutting down and rebooting with all working as expected, normally.  Now have attempted to run System Repair from Original DVD and finding nothing wrong.  NO changes made means operations are at a stand-still for now.

All of this done 'Off Line' not connected to a network or Web.  Also attempted to do a restore and NONE recently done were found.  The last one done that could be found was 6/1/2014 and that would not run.  None of the restore points show that are done every time MS does an Update.  Maybe I was not looking in the correct place for the RPs done by MS.

Just ran a complete Scan of this computer, Laptop, using Avast! FREE and it NEVER moved off of "0%" AND reported NOTHING found, in just about 15 minutes which usually takes about 45 minutes or more to do a complete system scan.

Any ideas would be appreciated . .

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Desktop DEAD for now . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:57:41 PM »
My first thought would be an hard drive error, have you run chkdsk /r ?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 12:32:35 AM »
"Sir essexboy,"

Thank you for this suggestion, am having some difficulty with things that require Admin Privileges as well as running any programs that require usage of Cmd line.  My Admin cannot be accessed to RunAs . . it seems Windows cannot load the Profile for my admin.  Have had some luck but not telling how it was managed to implement, just in case another issue shows.

ChkDsk is running at this time/w nothing discovered, yet!

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »
"Sir essexBoy,"

That was a very good idea, got me to thinking about, "How do I get into my Admin?"  Well thank you to Windows Secrets Paid Version just recently told about a "Hidden Administrator" and how to set it up and use it, very powerful and should not remain active at all times, ONLY WHEN NEEDED!  That is how I was able to run the ChkDsk, Noting was found to assist with my issue.

Rebooted to F8 "Safe Mode" logging in as my NEW admin, it worked, went into 'Device Manager' (all off line no internet) checking all devices for any that may NOT be performing normally.  All were shown as normal operations except some that could not be determined normal in Safe Mode.  Went to the Menu/View/Show Hidden Devices and there was a long list.  About half way down "Security Processor Loader" identified as "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all of its drivers installed. (Code 24)"

Now my question is, "How may I find this device driver/drivers and install same?"  This looks to me may solve my issues or make a dent in them anyway.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
A good start would be downloading/installing the latest drivers for your motherboard.

If that doesn't solve it, download/install the latest drivers for all devices you have.
e.g. : soundcard, graphics card, network card etc. etc.

Get the drivers from the respective manufacturers websites.
If no newer drivers are found, use the latest ones they have.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 11:50:45 PM »
Thank you 'essexBoy' that will NOT work for me, as I need to be off the web because of my Admin that I need to use, too much of a danger.

Need to find one that can be run off-line.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »
You could install the video driver offline after uninstalling the Security Processor Loader