Author Topic: ZoneAlarm + Avast Pro Web Shield = BSOD  (Read 4777 times)

tdehli

ZoneAlarm + Avast Pro Web Shield = BSOD
« on: November 07, 2005, 05:38:02 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing a complete crash (system stop, BSOD) when web shield is enabled, even though both the ZoneAlarm privacy sliders are set to off.

- Windows XP Pro
- ZoneAlarm Pro 6.0.677.000
- Avast 4.6 Pro Build 4.6.691

System is 100% stable otherwise. Strange...

Is this fixed in the next release?

- Thomas

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: ZoneAlarm + Avast Pro Web Shield = BSOD
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 06:00:15 PM »
It could be only ZA problem. I had BSOD with my free version too. And as I know it was ZA problem only.  :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 07:01:41 PM »
ZoneAlarm Pro have a wrong drive that should be updated soon. It crashes avast!
So I don't think avast will be fixed in the next release but, on contrary, ZA.
Meanwhile, the ZA (free) would be the solution or test the new driver.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17127.msg146030#msg146030
The best things in life are free.

tdehli

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 03:55:39 AM »
I guess I am a little confused. I thought that the incompatibility with ZoneAlarm and Avast was when the privacy sliders in ZoneAlarm were enabled (Cookie Control and Ad Blocking). At least that is what the Avast installer indicated.

Update:

I have the same problem with the newest beta of 4.6-718.

I get a BSOD with the following error: "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA", but only when the Web shield is enabled, otherwise everything runs perfect. This happens browsing in Firefox after about 1-2 minutes. I have not tried IE yet.

Is this happening to others as well?

I can attach minidump if needed.

- Thomas

MFB

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 04:24:00 AM »
I guess I am a little confused. I thought that the incompatibility with ZoneAlarm and Avast was when the privacy sliders in ZoneAlarm were enabled (Cookie Control and Ad Blocking). At least that is what the Avast installer indicated.

Update:

I have the same problem with the newest beta of 4.6-718.

I get a BSOD with the following error: "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA", but only when the Web shield is enabled, otherwise everything runs perfect. This happens browsing in Firefox after about 1-2 minutes. I have not tried IE yet.

Is this happening to others as well?

I can attach minidump if needed.

- Thomas

That is the problem from the latest version of Zone Alarm, try downloading the 6.0.631.003  free version which is perfectly stable with avast! on my computer. :) (please unistall  the latest Zone Alarm from your computer and reboot before installing this version.)

Click here to download
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 04:35:48 AM by Turkey »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 08:18:51 AM »
Turkey, 6.0.631.003 still contains the bug (and so does 6.0.667.000 released Sep 6, 2005; please see http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html )

tdehli, there are currently two (unrelated) compatibility problems between Avast and ZonaAlarm. One, quite unimportnat, is indeed related to avast WebShield and privacy features of ZA.

The second one, however, is quite critical because it's a bug in the ZA driver that can lead to a system crash. This is the one you're having problem with.

I have a fixed version of the ZA driver. I've promised that I won't make it publicly available but I can send it to you by email (which I'm doing right now) together with the installation instructions (as given by the ZoneLabs developers).

Please let me know if the patched driver helps - but it should, so far, it has helped to everyone I've sent it to.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.