Author Topic: Free install for 10.6.8  (Read 2092 times)

REDACTED

Free install for 10.6.8
« on: June 29, 2015, 01:45:16 PM »
Can you give me a likely explanation for this problem without full detail?
Last night I downloaded twice (same file arrived) and attempted install frice (switching to safe mode after inadvertent restart of Chrome kiboshed it - yes it was a circus, there and back again, reiterated) . That's about 15 hours. Each one started with the progress bar empty and it stayed so until I red-dotted it. Activity Monitor before the end showed 0 current CPU usage, and no CPU usage at all (I may have misinterpreted that). There were highly different counts for messages in/out because of the varying length of run. If there was any relationship it remains unknown cause who would check under those circus?

I found a comparable post who was asked for copies of syslog and any avast files in /tmp. So I got them - there was only one folder in /tmp with one empty file in it. Don't remember the name and deleted it after three unsuccessful attempts to post here which I think was the result of my registration confirmation dilly-dallying on the way in a big way.

So if you could just give me something so that I don't have to go through the whole rigmarole again before I can get to the point of getting help. As I didn't know whether it was latency or gremlins here I wasted a lot of extra time too. I still have to redownload the installer (there was a great cutting off of noses in this town last night) so I would save there if it is crap.

PS why haven't I got the option to ask for message on reply like the first time. Do you only get that if you attach?

REDACTED

Re: Free install for 10.6.8
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 01:05:39 AM »
Think my computer (now off) is badly infected with Websearch. Am on my wife’s which is probably infected too as our home system is closely integrated, hopefully not so badly. Lately I have been doing lots of updates and connecting them often. However at the moment there are no real symptoms here. When I post this I will I will shut this down and only open every hour or so for vital communication - of which this site is pre-eminent.

It appears that its now deleting all mail about viruses and we use the same email accounts etc – I know but it’s too late for recriminations. So the emails from the notifications have gone. Luckily can still get thru on web.

Has also been making sure no new antivirus gets put on system, so it’s total restore (slit my throat) or manual fix if even possible.

Should I assume any attached hard-drives and the second partition on my imac with a test version of Yosemite is also infected? I will have to attach my back-up hard-drive here for attempting fixes (or my computer in disk mode). If Yosemite not infected that gives another option)

When I got logged in before you said this computer (which is using Safari) did not have the Online Security plugin. Downloaded and installed, quit and reentered Safari and still getting message. Do I have to restart? (Probably surplus question since shutdown is on the way. I don't think I had that comment - on my iMac in Chrome - after I registered last night.

I will have to attach my back-up harddrive here if I want to 'manually' fix. And the Yosemite partition could be ok if not infected.
Now I need to do some yoga or meditating, and start drawing up a real plan - shutdown in countdown.

Hoping for a reply soon, but when it comes is soon enough.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Free install for 10.6.8
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 11:16:20 PM »
Hello,  If adware/spyware is the culprit then you should try to remove it manually.  While there is no easy way to do this here is a link that shows some of the common locations these extensions get installed:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

Give it a try and post back.

Cheers,
Mac
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay