Author Topic: Help with Avast 8.0 please  (Read 1854 times)

REDACTED

Help with Avast 8.0 please
« on: June 29, 2015, 12:30:12 AM »
Hiya

I have a very old machine which has had avast on for years now since avg stopped updating it is a Pentium II machine which has only small MB of memory and xp service pack 1 I recently had to re-register only problem was I used a g mail address which Google tell me does not exists so I used my yahoo address and applied for the license it is the free version, I received the license number and put it in, but it won't update the definitions or program, it won't accept the change of e-mail at one point it says its secured at another it says its not, as a temporary measure for about 13 days left now installed a free trial of viper until I get this sorted its my gateway machine to my home network which the printers are installed on please help asap

Thanks

Janey

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Help with Avast 8.0 please
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:42:57 AM »
Install SP3 (which you should have already a long time ago).
Install the latest version of avast.

https://blog.avast.com/2015/05/06/support-for-older-avast-windows-consumer-version-will-end/
No more support for version 8 and earlier.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 06:32:35 PM »
Hiya Eddy

Thanks for the reply, I have not been able to afford upgrading, I am out of work again after a few temporary jobs after a 5 year stint out of work, the blog link mentions 8.0.1497 my version is  8.0.1506 which is later than what the blog says so should still be supported, it was working fine until the free license expired a few days ago, my e-mail address I used was no longer valid so had to apply with a new e-mail address and insert the license key but now it won't work, its wrong the way these companies treat people with older machines, not everybody is Rich!!! like this government thinks or scroungers windows said they would not support xp last year anymore but guess what due to companies and universities etc. still using xp and kicked up about it, they now still support xp and still update windows xp, so it looks like I might have to find another anti-virus company that supports old machines and offers a FREE!!! license when my Vipre trial runs out

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 07:04:03 PM »
The newest (free) version is working fine on XP with SP3.
It is a bit slower than version 2014 though.

Simply perform a clean installation of free version 2015, you don't have to pay anything for it since it is free.