Author Topic: Question Regarding Network Profiles in AIS  (Read 1840 times)

DBenjamin85

Question Regarding Network Profiles in AIS
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:28:16 AM »
Hi guys,

I had a question about the network profiles in Internet Security in the firewall settings,  I think this was on my previous computer as well.

I am connected to the internet via the wireless network of our home, it is the network I am connected to via the Windows Wireless Network/Internet Access (we have Utility Warehouse as a provider.  However the Avast Firewall seems to tell me that the recognised network and only available profile is one called "Talk Talk Telecom Plus Dynamic Range".  It seems to be the only network the firewall is actually picking up.

Can anyone explain to me how this profile thing works?  Or is this Talk Talk network just the name of the network that my providers uses?  Could that be why avast is picking it up as the name?

I can confirm again that my computer is connected to my home network, it being the only one in the internet access icon in taskbar with a bold Connected next to it.  Also that Avast is only picking up this one network anyway.  I was just wondering if it's normal for Avast to pick up another name for a network in it's network profile manager. 

I just noticed this and it confused me a bit.

REDACTED

Re: Question Regarding Network Profiles in AIS
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 02:36:42 PM »
i am having the same issue (different provider name, but equally nonsensical).

any movement on this in the last two years? It's apparently still an issue.

and ps: avast forum designers, it's really a ridiculously difficult Captcha below. There are SO many easier, less obnoxious captchas that are so much more respectful to the living you are wanting to serve. It took me more than five times to get one i could actually read. And the audio is equally unintelligible.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Question Regarding Network Profiles in AIS
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »
Utility Warehouse just offers things, they don't have anything theirselfs.
You could call them retailers/resellers.

Talk Talk Telecom is part of British Telecom.

Utility Warehouse is buying network services from BT (Talk Talk Telecom) and than sells it to consumers.

mnashp,
it is not a issue.
Just a matter that most consumers don't know how things are working.

Try to imagine this:
Each "provider" has its own network.
Think about how many cables there must be in the streets/to your house.
Get the picture?
Hundreds of cables coming into your house so you can choose the provider you want. ;)