Author Topic: Why was I forced to upgrade to avast 2015?  (Read 8523 times)

REDACTED

Why was I forced to upgrade to avast 2015?
« on: July 02, 2015, 12:00:12 AM »
As the thread title stated, why was my current version of avast upgraded to the latest 2015 version without my approval as it has given me nothing by trouble as I've spent the last hour trying to fix this total mess as it took two reboots and manually disabling windows defender to get everything back to what could be called normality.

I was holding off since I was going to uninstall the 2014 version I had installed and then install the 2015 version but I wasn't to sure if I could get into safe mode in windows 8.1 to do the final clearance of 2014 before installing the latest version and since I heard that it would have been upgraded when I did the upgrade to windows 10 since I could renew my free version and the upgrade (from what I've heard) would remove the current version I had installed and replaced it with the latest version during the upgrade procedure.

This sudden forced upgrade is making avast sound more like malware rather then protecting from it, and after the false positives of last month along with the inadequate exclusion system is making me thinking about moving to another anti-virus program since my bank offers a 3 PC pack for free.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Why was I forced to upgrade to avast 2015?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 02:10:04 AM »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:26:34 AM »
The reason is mostly Windows 10 compatibility as Microsoft is pushing it rather agressively. I am sorry to hear that the update didn't go smoothly, you can imagine it wasn't our intention. Can you share any details what went wrong?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 12:09:09 PM »
I got a forced update as well. I was surprised when I got the message to reboot my computer. I'm running Windows 7 right now, and don't have any plans to upgrade anytime soon. That still doesn't excuse the fact that we are forcefully updated to the latest version. I purposely stayed at an older version for reasons that I don't want to clutter this thread up with.

When a users make a setting that prompts them if they want automatic updates or not, it's expected that the program actually follows through with the setting. What's even the point of that setting if you just pushed the updates regardless of your users' choice? We weren't even given a choice in the matter. The setting was pretty much just ignored. I mean, Avast is set to automatically update by default. Users have to deliberately choose the setting to install program updates manually, and those users are probably the ones who know what they're doing. Why not let them do what they want?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 04:52:47 PM »
Support for older version of Avast will be dropped

https://blog.avast.com/2015/05/06/support-for-older-avast-windows-consumer-version-will-end/

The 2014 version (version 9) isn't mentioned, and definition updates are still being provided so that isn't the reason why.

The reason is mostly Windows 10 compatibility as Microsoft is pushing it rather agressively. I am sorry to hear that the update didn't go smoothly, you can imagine it wasn't our intention. Can you share any details what went wrong?

It all went wrong after I got an action centre notification about having no anti-virus protection which I thought was a bug since it's happened before so I did a full shutdown and started the laptop up again only to find windows defender was running and avast was showing that I wasn't protected and trying the fix the issues didn't help so I did a reboot (not a full shutdown) and avast started working as normal but windows defender was still running and I had to access windows defender through the control panel and manually disable it to get it to work.

Also as I said, doing this just because of windows 10 is pointless since in the specifications it states that anti-virus programmes will be uninstalled and the latest version installed after the upgrade is completed.

For Anti-virus and Anti-malware applications, during upgrade Windows will check to see if your Anti-virus or Anti-malware subscription is current. Windows will uninstall your application while preserving your settings. After upgrade is complete, Windows will install the latest version available with the settings that were set prior to upgrade. If your subscription is not current, upgrade will enable Windows defender.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »
Please stop saying it was without your approval...
You did approve it !

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=172142.msg1227932#msg1227932

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 10:59:11 PM »
Please stop saying it was without your approval...
You did approve it !

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=172142.msg1227932#msg1227932

I DIDN'T request the upgrade to take place meaning it was done WITHOUT my approval and next time LINK to the license terms where it states that by agreeing to them allows software to be upgraded without user approval and might cause the OS to be rendered totally useless.

If you're going to be this much of an ass, then you've just given me another reason to move to a competitor programme.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 11:08:23 PM »
You don't have to request it, avast has the right to do so.
By installing you agreed with the license, meaning you did gave them permission.
Other av vendors have it also in their license.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 02:14:26 AM »
What's even the point of that setting if you just pushed the updates regardless of your users' choice?
Technical reasons and the default setting (manual) required that. Remember that million of users should upgrade and won't do it without a silent intervention. Anyway, the support will end soon.
The best things in life are free.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 11:36:34 AM »
Hi Demonix01,

sorry to hear that you got some troubles caused by the update. Please change the Settings->Update->Program update to Manual. That will ensure that we won't update your avast against your will.

The main reason we are doing this is the Windows 10 update campaign that will start soon and we prefer to have most of our users on Win10 compatible version for smooth transition.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »
Hi Demonix01,

sorry to hear that you got some troubles caused by the update. Please change the Settings->Update->Program update to Manual. That will ensure that we won't update your avast against your will.

The main reason we are doing this is the Windows 10 update campaign that will start soon and we prefer to have most of our users on Win10 compatible version for smooth transition.

Incorrect:
Please change the Settings->Update->Program update to Manual. That will ensure that we won't update your avast against your will.

I had mine set to Manual and it still updated it.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »
OK I see,

you probably installed one of the earlier versions of 2014. And these are really updated automatically.

Please install this latest version of V2014:
http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/58011/

I tested this one right now and wasn't updated to V2015.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »
For me, the link on that page downloads the latest version (10.3.2223.1143) so it's no help.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 10:29:18 PM »

Please install this latest version of V2014:
http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/58011/

I tested this one right now and wasn't updated to V2015.

Which older version did not update?

As the other gent said.. the latest version on that page is the current 2015 version.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 10:45:07 PM »
Only if you open that page and select "download this version".
There are older versions listed there.
You need to select one of those first.

Besides, if one google a bit...
It is not hard to find a download of a old(er) version of avast.