Author Topic: Why was I forced to upgrade to avast 2015?  (Read 8548 times)

REDACTED

Re: Why was I forced to upgrade to avast 2015?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 02:20:36 AM »
Only if you open that page and select "download this version".
There are older versions listed there.
You need to select one of those first.

Besides, if one google a bit...
It is not hard to find a download of a old(er) version of avast.

Now I'm totally confused. According to your other post here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=173916.0  and the blog post the end of support only effects those on version 8 or lower. But the force update is effecting version 2014 on version 10's. I think my previous version was either 10.0.2206 or 9.0.2021 (reinstall last fall) and it was a force update to 2015.

So I'm still looking for a older version 10 that will not update to 2015 by itself as my earlier version 10 did so it's a matter of not finding an older version but finding one that wont be forced to update.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »
Hi Microbell.

the version 2014.9.0.2021 works:
http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php?old_avast=15232?download

If you prefer version 10 (V2015), then I highly recommend the latest version 2223.

Martin

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 10:33:38 AM »
This sudden forced upgrade is making avast sound more like malware rather then protecting from it, and after the false positives of last month along with the inadequate exclusion system is making me thinking about moving to another anti-virus program since my bank offers a 3 PC pack for free.

It is pure malware. They need to be able to push you ever more annoying spam popups and steal your information for selling it to advertisers. That is why you  are forced to update the program. Soon it will be time to ditch the piece of shit. RIP avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 11:08:45 AM »
Hi Microbell.

the version 2014.9.0.2021 works:
http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php?old_avast=15232?download

If you prefer version 10 (V2015), then I highly recommend the latest version 2223.

Martin

Thanks Martin. I downloaded 2021 and will install later. Version 2223 is the new version which is causing problems hence is why I'm looking for a 2014 version as my last was running smoothly. Thanks again!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »
It is pure malware. They need to be able to push you ever more annoying spam popups and steal your information for selling it to advertisers. That is why you  are forced to update the program. Soon it will be time to ditch the piece of shit. RIP avast.
No, it's not at all. Your words are pure FUD.
Read our blog where we explain in details - and in non-that-technical words.

We have always strived to have an honest relationship with our users, and we will continue to do so. Currently we do not make any money from this relationship but it is an experiment as to whether we can fund our security products indirectly instead of nagging our users to upgrade. As most people are aware, most all products we use every day—Chrome, Facebook, Firefox, WhatsApp, Gmail, etc.—are indirectly funded by advertisements. In most cases though, the products directly examine what users are doing and provide them targeted advertisements. Although we suspect some security companies are doing this, we do not believe it is the proper approach. Instead, we think that this anonymized, aggregated approach is much better to maintain the trust relationship that we think is so important between us and you, our loyal users.
Vincent Steckler, Avast CEO

Vlk, Avast CTO, talks about this https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=171725.msg1218988#msg1218988
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 05:17:13 AM »

I had mine set to Manual and it still updated it.

Same here.
Why was I upgraded when I had myself set the option to Manual ?  >:(
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:22:05 AM by iuvapur »