Author Topic: win95.sk  (Read 13224 times)

sillydogs

win95.sk
« on: November 08, 2005, 05:50:50 PM »
:'(My zonealarm suit has found a virus named win95.sk and there is no treatment for this.
 I have read everything I could on this virus, but still have no clue as how I would clean the computer of it.
 I have run other virus scans and this does not even show up on them.
 Reading about this win95.sk, it makes me wonder if there is hope or should I just reformat, and if I reformat will the virus still be in my machine?
 My computer is acting fine right now but I know it is there.
 Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!
 I'm bitting my fingernails....waiting for a reply.
                                                                                               Christi Hoehn

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: win95.sk
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 06:04:01 PM »
:'(My zonealarm suit has found a virus named win95.sk and there is no treatment for this.
Their support team could not help you? As you have bought their product...  ::)
The only way I can see avast helping you is avast Cleaner (if it works with this virus specifically, I'm not sure).
http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclnr.exe
The best things in life are free.

sillydogs

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 06:36:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply... ;D
 No, this new virus is very hard to detect and clean, I downloaded the avast virus cleaner, if it works I will buy stock in the company!
avast report:
avast! Virus Cleaner Tool - version 1.0.208 Unicode

Creating log file: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\actions\aswclnr.log

11/8/2005, 11:57:44 AM
Memory scanning started...
No virus body found in memory.
Memory scanning finished (48.6s).
----------
Files scanning started...
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_79c.dat... file could not be scanned!
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ZLT03266.TMP... file could not be scanned!
No virus body found.
Files scanning finished  (73773 files, 0 infected, 1786.3s).
Drives scanned: C:
----------
now what do I do? ;D
                                                         christi

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 06:42:46 PM »
Which is the path and the name of the infected file?
Which is your operational system?

sillydogs

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 07:09:22 PM »
Hello,
 And thanks for the help...grinning....
The infected file is C:/DOCUME~1/owner/LOCALS~1/temp/V.....
 I have two virus here: win95.sk and java.shinwow.AB, now I am not as worried about the java as I am the win95.sk. I have looked for hours for this file, done searches in my computer and came up with nothing. And both virus have failed to be deleted.
 I am running windows xp.
 out of all the research I have done I can not find a cure, or a way to clean this machine. I have thought about reformatting but I am worried this virus will still be on the machine if not cleaned first.
 I have contacted Zone Alarms....with little to no help. Now I wish I would have saved my money....grinning.....
 The only programs that I have noticed this virus affecting is my other antivirus's, but who knows when I go to reboot again that all will not be lost.... :-\
                                                                          Thank you so much again.
                                                                                             Christi

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 07:22:07 PM »
The path is obviously truncated - can you find the real (whole) path? (resizing the dialog, checking a log file, or something like that)

I'd suggest not to panic... it actually may be a false alarm.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 07:54:25 PM »
I have contacted Zone Alarms....with little to no help. Now I wish I would have saved my money....grinning.....
It's a pity as we, users, pay for support after all. If they include antivirus in their program, why don't they give you support with virus infection?  :(

The only programs that I have noticed this virus affecting is my other antivirus's
Which other antivirus? ZA antivirus?

sillydogs

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 07:55:47 PM »
Hello again....Thank you.
After going into the log this is the only path it gives for this file.
 C:/DOCUME~1/owner/LOCALS~1/temp/V1HKFHa02672.
              After doing another search I still can not find it.
I have downloaded ewido and I am running it now, It already has found 745 infected objects! WOW! I run a antitivirus everyday why does these not show up in Zonealarm  or Nortons Or even Trend? And will this CLEAN win95.sk?
  Thanks again for your quick responce, I will not panic untill my screen goes black.....GRINNING..........
                                                                   Christi

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 08:00:46 PM »
Again, where?
The file in TEMP folder seems "strange" (meaning that it really doesn't sound like anything important for the system - you could simply delete it). Are the other infected objects in Windows or System folder, for example? Is it the same virus?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 08:05:46 PM »
C:/DOCUME~1/owner/LOCALS~1/temp/V1HKFHa02672.
Can't you boot in SafeMode and delete that file?
SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222

I have downloaded ewido and I am running it now, It already has found 745 infected objects! WOW! I run a antitivirus everyday why does these not show up in Zonealarm or Nortons Or even Trend? And will this CLEAN win95.sk?
After all, why are you running Norton and avast?
You'll crash your system for sure. Uninstall Norton quickly.
1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Symantec removal tool (browse their site to get it, there are one for each antivirus series). Boot.
3) Install avast! Boot.
4) See what you get.

Not all files detected by ewido are really infected, please send the files to Quarentine and do not delete them all.

sillydogs

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 08:33:27 PM »
I never run any antivirus at the same time..... :P
I have Nortons proffesional edition 2003 ..Antivirus xp...and Zone alarm security suites. I run each at different times, I will find that one has picked up something another did not. And sometimes I go to trend and run that one. I only have one firewall enabled. I guess you could say I have a thing for viruses...Can't stand them! So better to be safe than sorry......and with the people who are coming up with these viruses getting smarter and more loopholes in place with certain operating systems.... A girl has to protect herself with whatever measures seem possible.....running 3 antiviruses at different times......GRINNING..... Ok call me a fanatic....LOL
 But getting back to win95.sk. The last one did not pick it up either, found 751 but not that one so does this mean it could have been a false reading? And why is it that ONLY zone alarm picks it up? Could my zonealarm be corrupted?
 I have tried starting in safe mode and I searched for two hours trying to find this file and found nothing....If I could just find it I WOULD delete it.... :'(
 Thank you to all who have tried to help today....I really appriciate it.
                                                                                         Christi

sillydogs

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 08:44:44 PM »
Again, where?
The file in TEMP folder seems "strange" (meaning that it really doesn't sound like anything important for the system - you could simply delete it). Are the other infected objects in Windows or System folder, for example? Is it the same virus?

Most was spyware in my registry, a couple dialers.....Backdoor lixy... a few in my system 32 files (YIKES!....where is my Calgon!)....but no win95.sk, can this virus change its name or hide deep in the system?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 08:59:28 PM »
Norton doesn't co-exist well especially with other AVs and it doesn't matter if it isn't running, simply being installed is often enough to cause a conflict as it embeds itself deeply into the registry Legacy Keys which even when uninstalled often cause problems.

avast when it finds evidence of NAV it won't fully install to avoid conflict.

So the advice by Tech is very valid.

Whilst browsing or collecting email, etc. if you get infected then the malware by default inherits the same permissions that you have for your user account. So if the user account has administrator rights, the malware has administrator rights and can reap havoc. With limited rights the malware can't put files in the system folders, create registry entries, etc. This greatly reduces the potential harm that can be done by an undetected or first day virus, etc.

Check out the link to DropMyRights (in my signature below) - Browsing the Web and Reading E-mail Safely as an Administrator.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

galooma

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 10:02:07 PM »
your solution could be as simple as running this utility
 Start/all programs/ Accessories/system tools/disk cleanup

sillydogs

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 12:27:05 AM »
Thanks everyone ;D
 I have learned allot today as far as having too many antiviruses on the computer at once. I did unistall Nortons and Antivirus xp....Goodbye old friends...... ::)
 Tech, I have already been to that site and no win95.sk, but thanks for the link and all the help. I am still baffled as to how to clean this win95.sk....but will not panic until my putter dies...than I will be cussing ya ll Out! JK....... ;)
 Can you explain to me what running the disk cleanup does for win95.sk? I'm a bit slow today because all these new terms clogging my brain, But what does disk space have to do with a virus?
 And I ask this question again....(Go ahead and smack me) But If I have to reformat will this virus still be in the machine and cause problems at a different time since it was not removed? Or does reformatting remove everything including nasty hidden viruses?

Christi