Author Topic: Avast! Free Antivirus 2015 and Malwarebytes Free - Conflict?  (Read 10324 times)

REDACTED

Hi,

I just installed Avast! Free Antivirus 2015 and also have Malwarebytes Free installed on my computer (Windows 8.1). Tonight, I ran a scan with Malwarebytes and all seemed to be ok as I didn't notice any impact on my system performance. However, when I looked at Statistics - Realtime Data , I noticed that in the "Last scanned items" window, the files that Malwarebytes was scanning were appearing.

I searched online to see if this issue has been addressed and found some posts in the Avast! and Malwarebytes forums indicating the following should be added to the exceptions in the General section and File System Shield components in Avast! to have the 2 programs work together without conflict:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

I did this but still had the same situation occur when I redid the Malwarebytes scan.

I also tried completely turning off the File System Shield in Avast! and rerunning the Malwarebytes scan. This time, the files being scanned by Malwarebytes did not appear in the Statistic - Realtime Data - Last scanned items window.

So, my questions are:

1. Are the files being scanned by Malwarebytes supposed to be appearing in the Avast! Statistic - Realtime Data - Last scanned items window or is there a conflict between Avast! and Malwarebytes with Malwarebytes overriding the protection of Avast! and compromising Avast!'s protection until the Malwarebytes scan is completed?

2. If Malwarebytes is overriding Avast!, should I turn off the File System Shield while I run Malwarebytes?

Thanks a million for any assistance with this matter.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Re: Avast! Free Antivirus 2015 and Malwarebytes Free - Conflict?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 08:55:36 AM »
G'day ;)

Have you add Avast to MBAM and MBAM to Avast Exclusions correctly ??? ???

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:59:07 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:13:41 AM »
Avast monitors everything that is happening on your system, so if Malwarebytes is running a scan then Avast will be monitoring it.

I use the same exclusions Speedy has pointed out.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:21:44 AM »
I use the same exclusions Speedy has pointed out.

;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 04:29:39 PM »
Hi,

Thanks so much SpeedyPC and CraigB for your quick replies and help.

I updated my exclusions in Avast! and Malwarebytes as SpeedyPC showed and did another scan with Malwarebytes. Unfortunately, the same thing happened -  the files being scanned by Malwarebytes are appearing in the Avast! Last scanned items window.

However, I'm a bit confused: According to SpeedyPC, I thought if I set the exclusions, I would no longer see the files being scanned by Malwarebytes in the Avast! Last items scanned window. Yet, according to CraigB's comment, I actually should be seeing these files in Avast!.

So could someone please clarify whether I'm supposed to be seeing the files Malwarebytes is scanning in the Last scanned items window in Avast!?

Thanks a million for your help.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 04:47:34 PM »
It's as I said, Avast monitors everything that is happening on your system, the exclusions will prevent conflicts between the two programs...that's all.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 04:47:46 PM »
The exclusions listed are for MBAM files within those folders - for avast to exclude those files not their actions - it doesn't exclude the actions of files within the folders, that relate to files outside those locations.

e.g. MBAM Pro being a resident (real-time) anti-malware and that scans certain files as they become active, they are locked and scanned, this activity also triggers a scan on that file (not the MBAM file) by avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 11:37:35 PM »
Hi,

Thanks so much CraigB and DavidR for your quick replies and the helpful information.

You've clarified the situation for me with your explanations. I now understand how Avast! is working and that Malwarebytes is not compromising Avast!'s protection.

CraigB - I'm very sorry I didn't understand your first explanation.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 12:43:43 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 05:55:44 AM »
CraigB - I'm very sorry I didn't understand your first explanation.
That's alright, my short an sweet answers don't always contain enough detail for people to understand sometimes, I'm glad it's cleared up for you now though :)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 08:51:50 AM »
I'm glad the issue has been resolved mybuddy ;)