Author Topic: Can anyone tell me whats the new virus database?  (Read 5155 times)

AvastForever

Can anyone tell me whats the new virus database?
« on: November 09, 2005, 02:56:53 AM »
I had a bit of a problem, install this stupid new firewall called comodo and while Avast going to update a error happend. Thank God i Remove this firewall and put Back ZoneAlarm. Now i Have
Has My VPS: 0545-0. Its this the new version of the Virus Database?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Can anyone tell me whats the new virus database?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 03:16:09 AM »
Firewall is not stupid at all... you just had to allow avast! update service to access the internet so it can update itself... but you didn't do it, so please don't call a firewall stupid if you didn't take enough time to study it well...

Edit: It's not just a case with this particular firewall, it's with all of them. If firewall is any good, it will ask you if you want to allow some program accessing internet or deny the request. Otherwise there is no point in having one, right ?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 03:23:53 AM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

MFB

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 04:43:35 AM »
  Please check the VPS history if you want to know whats the latest version.

Click here

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 03:58:34 PM »
Another method would be to initiate a manual update this would ensure you have the latest VPS (read iAVS in updating menu item) update. The latest update at the time of posting is 0545-1
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AvastForever

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 03:49:22 AM »
Firewall is not stupid at all... you just had to allow avast! update service to access the internet so it can update itself... but you didn't do it, so please don't call a firewall stupid if you didn't take enough time to study it well...

Edit: It's not just a case with this particular firewall, it's with all of them. If firewall is any good, it will ask you if you want to allow some program accessing internet or deny the request. Otherwise there is no point in having one, right ?

O come on Dude. I already know that. You really think i will post that this firewall is stupid (ok maybe i should have not said stupid) if it was not true, at least for me that is. I uninstall ZA and Install Comondo. When i restart my computer everything was OK so when Avast! 4.6 try to update itself Comondo ask me (No DUH) and i said yes. Thats when the error came in. So i restart my computer when i restart my computer Now the program would not open up. It keep saying that a error occur while loading the Firewall. I think it was The GUL thing or something. And also Avast! 4.6 Web mail or Outbook Provider could not work. Every since i install that Firewall Errors occur fo r me. I just got tired and Just Uninstall Comondo and install ZA again. ZA never gave me problems. Thats why i said is bad for me. It may be good for you because we have different computers. But come on you really think i didnt knew that?

Also do you any helpfull tips for me, for Comodo to work?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 03:51:04 AM by AvastForever »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 03:57:27 AM »
Yes, you should be aware that you can't switch firewalls just like that. If not uninstalled properly, some of them leave bunch of entries in Windows registry, therefore preventing some other firewall from working properly. Same thing with antiviruses... just can't have few of them running in the same time on the same machine. I am talking about resident protection, thingies which runs in the background all the time... resident shields. I am not telling you tried to run two firewalls in the same time, but if one wasn't uninstalled completely (read: properly) it can look like two of them are running after installing the other one...

No one could possibly know why Comodo doesn't work on your machine. You have to troubleshot it and see what's happening. There is literally thousands of possibilities. First of all, we have no clue what other security software you are running on your machine. Some things are just not compatible with some other things, and that's it...

Btw, Comodo doesn't work fine just for me... there are many other members happy and using it without any problems. Second thing, I am not quite sure that rule based firewall is something that you need right now. ZA is simple for use, so you better stick with it...

However, I don't believe you are using ZA Pro version, because if you paid for it, you wouldn't switch firewalls just like that... so you are using ZA Free edition. As I mentioned to you in some other thread, ZA Free doesn't protect you the way you would want... just try tooleaky.exe as I already told you.

EDIT: Also best possible thing is write to Comodo technical support (I also provided a link in other thread) and tell them your story... what's your configuration, software etc... also what kind of problems you've got... they are technical support for that firewall. We are dealing with avast! in this forum.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 04:00:57 AM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

AvastForever

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 04:06:38 AM »
Yes, you should be aware that you can't switch firewalls just like that. If not uninstalled properly, some of them leave bunch of entries in Windows registry, therefore preventing some other firewall from working properly. Same thing with antiviruses... just can't have few of them running in the same time on the same machine. I am talking about resident protection, thingies which runs in the background all the time... resident shields. I am not telling you tried to run two firewalls in the same time, but if one wasn't uninstalled completely (read: properly) it can look like two of them are running after installing the other one...

No one could possibly know why Comodo doesn't work on your machine. You have to troubleshot it and see what's happening. There is literally thousands of possibilities. First of all, we have no clue what other security software you are running on your machine. Some things are just not compatible with some other things, and that's it...

Btw, Comodo doesn't work fine just for me... there are many other members happy and using it without any problems. Second thing, I am not quite sure that rule based firewall is something that you need right now. ZA is simple for use, so you better stick with it...

However, I don't believe you are using ZA Pro version, because if you paid for it, you wouldn't switch firewalls just like that... so you are using ZA Free edition. As I mentioned to you in some other thread, ZA Free doesn't protect you the way you would want... just try tooleaky.exe as I already told you.

EDIT: Also best possible thing is write to Comodo technical support (I also provided a link in other thread) and tell them your story... what's your configuration, software etc... also what kind of problems you've got... they are technical support for that firewall. We are dealing with avast! in this forum.

Thanks. You mean That ZA pro edition stop tooleaky.exe?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 04:09:16 AM »
Yes it stops it but only if you tell it to stop. At least it gives you a pop-up window asking you if you wanna allow tooleaky.exe access the internet (actually open IE) or not. You have to deny that request and that's it. ZA freeware doesn't even ask you anything... it just let's tooleaky.exe executes IE...

I know because I used both versions, ZA free as well as Pro for quite some time...

Cheers !

AvastForever

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 04:26:19 AM »
Yes it stops it but only if you tell it to stop. At least it gives you a pop-up window asking you if you wanna allow tooleaky.exe access the internet (actually open IE) or not. You have to deny that request and that's it. ZA freeware doesn't even ask you anything... it just let's tooleaky.exe executes IE...

I know because I used both versions, ZA free as well as Pro for quite some time...

Cheers !

Im not really scare about that since I have Process Guard which Stop anything to start up on my computer without me saying its okay. I just Try it and Process Guard and stop tooleaky.exe and ask me if i want to load it. With this i get extra protection that ZA free dont give. ;D