Author Topic: False "security threat" alerts from Avasti!  (Read 2091 times)

REDACTED

False "security threat" alerts from Avasti!
« on: July 05, 2015, 11:19:09 PM »
I'm receiving numerous "threat "alerts from your security program; accompanied by a bell ringing and a "pop-up" in the lower right hand corner of my screen.  Most of these "false" alerts are associated with "work-units" downloaded from "Berkeley Open Infrastructure Network Computing; BOINC for short.   A legitimate web-site that I have been using for the past 9 years.
I have attempted on numerous occasions to report these "false" positives by entering the pertinent information in the "fill-in-format" pages that accompany the perceived "threat."
  However, when I reach the final step, the program requests a "password."  My password for the Avast! webpage does not work. This is my third request for help.  Two prior requests were rejected because I used the "formatting" that appears at the top of this message.  The third today, as I apparently posted my problem in the "wrong" area.  I like your program, however, I'm going to use "dos" commands to delete it if I don't get help! >:(

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: False "security threat" alerts from Avasti!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 11:27:23 PM »
Do you have just one resident AV solution installed, i.e. Avast's. Two resident AV solutions will create all sort of false alerts.
Consider it like two guard-dogs that have to protect the home of the owner and in  stead of guarding will start to fight among each other for a bone (a malware signature). So in stead of enhanced protection you get less or rather none whatsoever.

polonus

P.S. If that all isn't so, what then is the exact URL and the security threat message Avast throws up? Whenever valid you could post logs as instructed here https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0  and a qualified malware removal expert may look into the matter.

D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:42:23 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 12:39:41 AM »
I have the BOINC client running and do not get any alerts at all.
Not in the windows version and not in the android version.

You don't get "work units" from Berkeley but from the project(s) you have signed up for.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 06:46:30 PM »
If you have nothing positive to add regarding my request for a "password" to finalize the fill-in-formats that accompany the false positive "alerts",but out.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 06:55:03 PM »
When you have forgotten the password for the tool you have to perform a clean install.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 07:02:54 PM »
You don't need a password to report a (possible) false positive.
https://blog.avast.com/tag/false-positive/

If you forgot the password set in avast, you will have to do as Polonus said.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 07:07:28 PM »
Polonus.  I have only AVAST! on my computers.  So the more than one security program will not hunt; 'WINDOWS DEFENDER" has been disabled from the git-go. In my initial trouble report, I mentioned that accompanying the voice and bells, I'm getting that fill-in-format.  Which I have completed on several occasions down to the last page which asks for a "password."  Are you or are you not familiar with this part of the AVAST! program?  Do you have any thing of importance to say about this part of the issue?