Author Topic: Deeply disapointed of Kerio 4.0.7  (Read 23938 times)

Waldo

Re:Deeply disapointed of Kerio 4.0.7
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2003, 10:35:40 AM »
Like i said before will someone else try blackice?

I tried Blackice before, and I didn't like it. why ?

negative :

-It offers no outbound protection
-If a trojan is already on your system when installing blackice, your doomed, as it won't checks for outgoing connections.
-All programs that are already on your pc (trusted) have server rights to the internet by default.
-It fails ALL leaktests availble on the internet.

Pro :

-It does gives full stealth on Gibson's shieldsUp, and Pcflank test.
-It has a small but good intrusion detection system.

Kind regards

Waldo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2003, 12:07:56 PM »
I agree with you doggeral, and believe in your statements about firewall. Anyway, I don't like a software that I cannot update...  ;D

Thank, you bbfi, I use VisualZone too with Zone Alarm. I think EZ Trust just one year for free (with firewall and antivirus tools) won't be suitable for those ones who believe in layered defense: one application for each one defense need. Anyway, another antivirus (resident) with avast! will bring me trouble.  ;D
The best things in life are free.

bbfi

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2003, 04:46:18 PM »
Technical,

I think EZ Trust just one year for free (with firewall and antivirus tools) won't be suitable for those ones who believe in layered defense: one application for each one defense need.
The installation for EZ Armor allows you to install both or either the Firewall or Virus Checker.  They are separate applications.  Since EZ Firewall is the same as Zone Alarm Pro, you'll get to use it for free for one year.  Then you can use your favorite Anti Virus such as Avast along with it.   ;)

Shutterbug

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2003, 05:40:51 PM »
In reading this thread I saw comments about BlackIce that I thought needed some warnings in return, but Waldo beat me to it.  It's good to know people here are already aware of Steve Gibson's site.  I get wary of "security experts" who don't.  ;)

For those who aren't familiar with Steve Gibson, visit http://grc.com.  It isn't the easiest site to navigate on the 'net, but its tools will do the best job of testing your system's security I've seen anywhere outside of hiring a consultant.  And even the consultant may hit his site for a test.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2003, 09:34:44 PM »
i have tested black ice it passed all tests
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Shutterbug

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2003, 08:59:43 PM »
Did it?  On GRC.com's ShieldsUp and LeakTest?  If so, it must be a later version of BlackIce than I tested.  And if so, then I applaud BlackIce finally fixing those holes they were leaving open on unaware customer systems.

I'm a staunch ZoneAlarm user, and it has saved me from many a problem.  I've only had one virus since installing ZA which I let through thanks to letting my guard down by leaving Bypass turned on too long one day in Proxomitron, so a popup dropped the spyware on me.  But those moments are what Avast is for.  :D

Am I trying to convince people to switch?  Well, a little.  My main focus is to convince people to test their systems for security holes, which keeps everyone else a little safer as a result.  But if more users help support ZA now so that future versions will be just as strong, all the better.    :)

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2003, 03:20:34 AM »
shutterbug blackICE did fix the software in the latest version ISS has improved the software form when network ICE owned it  ;)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2003, 02:00:41 AM »
FYI kerio 4.0.8 is now avaliable I tested it still the same problems :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2003, 02:27:55 AM »
FYI kerio 4.0.8 is now avaliable I tested it still the same problems :(

I'm so glad to turn back into my beloved ZoneAlarm  ;D
Thanks Mac for your advice... Kerio becomes a bloatware  :'(

bbfi

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2003, 06:37:17 PM »
Just browsed over to the Kerio forum.  Seems like more and more bugs are showing up since Version 4.0.8.   >:(

I'm so glad to turn back into my beloved ZoneAlarm  ;D

Amen!  Me too.  (Since EZ Firewall is Zone Alarm Pro)   ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 06:38:14 PM by bbfi »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2003, 06:56:30 PM »
avast! team, what is avast! for Kerio? (http://www.avast.com/i_idt_161.html)

Why nobody said anything about the 4.0.7 version and avast!?  :(

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2003, 10:23:24 PM »
it provides virus scanning for Kerio WinRoute Firewall and Kerio Mail Server. Both of wich I would never use on our servers here at macworld because the personal firewall spoiled the kerio name

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2003, 10:34:43 PM »
it provides virus scanning for Kerio WinRoute Firewall and Kerio Mail Server. Both of wich I would never use on our servers here at macworld because the personal firewall spoiled the kerio name

Thanks Mac... I really want some information from avast! team... Kerio becomes a bloatware and avast! is traveling 'side by side' of it... I just want to know if we are in danger  :-\

denro

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2003, 04:19:03 AM »
Kerio 4.07 isn't any good at all... Kerio 2.1.5 which will soon be outdated.

What is the information on Kerio 2.1.5 becoming outdated.  Is it set to stop working on a certain date or a certain time after downloading?  Can someone expand on this?  I run Kerio 2.1.5 with Avast 4.1 Home and the combination works great.  I would hate to lose one part of this combo.  TIA
-- denro

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2003, 12:54:07 PM »
Kerio 4.07 isn't any good at all... Kerio 2.1.5 which will soon be outdated.

What is the information on Kerio 2.1.5 becoming outdated.  Is it set to stop working on a certain date or a certain time after downloading?  Can someone expand on this?  I run Kerio 2.1.5 with Avast 4.1 Home and the combination works great.  I would hate to lose one part of this combo.  TIA
-- denro

No, Denro, the Kerio 2.1.5 won´t stop working... I think that beast99 was just trying to say that the new versions are poor and it´s not confortable have a non-updatable software in your system. For solutions, Techie suggested Sygate Personal Firewall and I, ZoneAlarm.