Author Topic: Should I exclude the TEMP folder from scanning?  (Read 2367 times)

REDACTED

Should I exclude the TEMP folder from scanning?
« on: June 09, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »
One of the programs I use daily gets a sharing violation and loses info when one of its files that it created in the TEMP folder gets locked by Avast.  Their support people say that I need to exclude the TEMP folder so this won't happen again.  I think it would be a bad idea.

Thoughts?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Should I exclude the TEMP folder from scanning?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
Well, any exclusion is more or less dangerous (depending on how exactly the mask is set, for example).

However, as far as I know, Avast scanning should be synchronous - i.e. there shouldn't be any sharing violation, the calling process is simply stopped and waiting for the scanning to finish (unless some strange multi-threaded processing takes place). Can you tell us more about the problem - i.e. what program is that, how to reproduce the issue etc.?
Thanks.

Offline stibi

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:45:25 PM »
  Their support people say that I need to exclude the TEMP folder so this won't happen again.

Seems nonsense. At my computers TEMP ist not excluded, and I have no such problem.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 09:46:26 PM »
One of the programs I use daily gets a sharing violation and loses info when one of its files that it created in the TEMP folder gets locked by Avast. ...

Thoughts?

Sorry for my English.

Same problem here, Windows XP Sp 3
In my case it happens with:

- 7Zip when I drag and drop files (7Zip creates a temp folder - inside system temp folder  containing extracting files; while when I use "Extract..." menu voice, the temp folder seems not to be created and so there's no problem)

- Thunerbird not always, when a file ends up in "Moz_mapi" temp folder

- Copernic Desktop Search 4.0: it writes some dll files in the temp folder
  • at startup: Copernic says it can't read the config file (which isn't in temp folder)and crashes
  • when opening the option window and it crashes again

Tried to set Avast not to use the Cache, and sometimes it works.

Now I've added a "write" esclusion for Temp folder and everything seems working

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:50:04 PM by Giannux »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 11:11:22 PM »

Seems nonsense. At my computers TEMP ist not excluded, and I have no such problem.

I wouldn't say anything until I know more about the file.
With all due respect, your system is "not" exactly the same as the OP's set-up.
It's always best to get as much information as possible before making such a comment.

@Giannux  Please start your own topic. It's extremely difficult to help two different users
               at the same time. Even more so because set-ups vary from user to user.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline stibi

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 10:06:41 AM »
I wouldn't say anything until I know more about the file.

In this case I would check the file in the TEMP folder that  gets locked with Avast.