Author Topic: Avast in Junk Email Drawer--Or Is It?  (Read 1639 times)

REDACTED

Avast in Junk Email Drawer--Or Is It?
« on: July 10, 2015, 03:39:20 PM »
 :o I downloaded avast from its website. Later in my junk email drawer I saw an apparently avast email directing me to click a link. I did and was directed to make a password with them, then was brought to a page with a bunch of stats. I did a few security scans of my computer on this page and went away. The next morning I got a notice on my browser saying avast wanted to add an extension.....Got rid of that one and now it wants to add avast priceright extension. Got rid of that. What do I do? Was that avast originally that I made a password with and did scans with? ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast in Junk Email Drawer--Or Is It?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 03:53:25 PM »
Both the browser add-on and priceright are legitimate parts of avast.
It is up to you if you want to install them or not.

A image of the "stats page" or address would really be helpful.
If it was https://my.avast.com it is fully legitimate.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:02:24 PM by Eddy »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast in Junk Email Drawer--Or Is It?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 03:56:13 PM »
It looks like it is the creation of your avast account (which appears to happen as part of the registration process) your email address is essentially the user name, so you then need to create your password.

Because you are using an email address as the user name, it has to be confirmed that you actually own/control that email address.

Since you don't give any URL or images of these stats, my comments above are speculative.

When you installed avast, unless you did a custom install and unchecked the Avast Online Security (AOS) browser plugin will be installed in your browser the next time you restart your browser/system. So that appears to be normal.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security